Nice tight snare drum roll

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ramangill

Nice tight snare drum roll

Post by ramangill » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:45 am

Well it doesn't necessarily have to be with a snare but.....
What do you guys recommend as the best approach to creating a nice drum roll saying allowing you to go into the next build or simply to introduce or end a section.

I am getting tired of the pre-made loops and want to just make my own. Any ideas or better yet maybe someone can do a how to for all the people who would like to know.
MacPro(1,1)
MOTU 828 mk3, Axiom Pro49, Akai MPD32, LiquidMix 16
Live 8, NOMAD Factory Plugins Suite, FabFilter Plugin Suite, PSP Vintage Collection
NERVE, Sylenth1, NEXUS2, Arturia Analog Factory 2.5, Trillian

jlgrimes

Re: Nice tight snare drum roll

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:09 am

ramangill wrote:Well it doesn't necessarily have to be with a snare but.....
What do you guys recommend as the best approach to creating a nice drum roll saying allowing you to go into the next build or simply to introduce or end a section.

I am getting tired of the pre-made loops and want to just make my own. Any ideas or better yet maybe someone can do a how to for all the people who would like to know.

Take a drum sample and stick it in Simpler (or Sampler).

I would do that over the Drum Rack because with Simpler you can adjust each note's pitch (if you are into those dirty south snare rolls).

Another thing you can do sometimes is add random LFO modulation to the pan to give your roll a nice stereo effect (or draw the pan clip envelopes in).

Other than that it is up to you to decide if you want to play in the rolls or use the piano roll to draw them in.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:06 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgx_V0So0qk

Just spam the hell out of a tight, not too punchy snare drum. This snare roll can be found in just about every trance song from 10 years ago.

Nilus

Post by Nilus » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:16 pm

Beat Repeat
http://www.nilusrothschild.com
Interests: Displacing Space

anamexis

Post by anamexis » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:47 pm

Also try messing around with Arpeggiator on a snare sample

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:02 am

the simplest approach is to have impulse or drum rack and then do the roll via the Piano Roll - choose a high resolution on the grid and draw in a succession of notes for the snare; if the grid is small enough, there's your roll...adjust to taste. It will definitely sound better if the Release time on the drum sample is set to maximum; but shorter release times might have an effect you like, too.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:40 pm

the classic drum roll is a tr-909

ramangill

Post by ramangill » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:13 pm

flowdesigner wrote:the classic drum roll is a tr-909
I got that sample with several others.

I tried to program a snare roll by doing the roll via the Piano Roll, choosing a high resolution on the grid and drawing in a succession of notes for the snare.

It did not come out so nice and I tried several varations and each one sounded worse than the others. I tried to look on youtube or something but nothing.

Any help?

What I am trying to acheive is when I transition into my next change within a track, sometimes it sounds rigid and I think a snare roll will blend the two nicely.\

By the way the genre is TECH-HOUSE.
MacPro(1,1)
MOTU 828 mk3, Axiom Pro49, Akai MPD32, LiquidMix 16
Live 8, NOMAD Factory Plugins Suite, FabFilter Plugin Suite, PSP Vintage Collection
NERVE, Sylenth1, NEXUS2, Arturia Analog Factory 2.5, Trillian

Nilus

Post by Nilus » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:27 pm

Did you try switching the grid to triplet?
http://www.nilusrothschild.com
Interests: Displacing Space

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:35 pm

ramangill wrote:
flowdesigner wrote:the classic drum roll is a tr-909
I got that sample with several others.
get rid of the others

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:24 pm

Hand Hammered bronze Ludwig Supr 70's, drum sticks, mic and there ya have it. Oh yeah and this thing called a drummer.

The drummers will rise again!

Edit. Beat Repeat in place of a drummer....What have the world come too
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:03 am

I think the best way is to zoom in on the piano roll and draw them in if you can't play 'em by hand.

Don't forget the samples need Velocity; think of how a drumstick may not hit the snare as loudly on the 2nd part of the flam or roll.

So loop that last bar where the roll is going to be and just do it by trial and error. Once you get the hang of it and get used to the timing with the grid (not all notes should be quantized if you want it to sound real) it gets easier and quicker. You won't need the notes to be more than 1/64th, and part of a realistic roll is having some lower velocity hits in between the main ones un-quantized, like in between the 32nd and 64th grid spaces.
At least for a rock drummer type roll.

If you want a hip-hop roll that's much easier since they're quantized, so you just decrease the note length the more it gets to the end of the bar.

Practice yo

You'll save more time and get more skill if you do it by hand :)
ImageImage