All this about sound quality

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JuanSOLO

Re: All this about sound quality

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:09 pm

no thanks, I think my funs about over with this thread.

William

Post by William » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:10 pm

Hervé wrote:...and while some poeples are arguing, some others are making a life out of it. How weird (:
Truth
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rimby

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9

dbfs

Post by dbfs » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:11 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:no thanks, I think my funs about over with this thread.
Like I said, you weren't ready to play with the big boys. Your training wheels are still on.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:13 pm

simmerdown wrote:(this is sure to end well :cry: )

see? retarded

dbfs

Post by dbfs » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:16 pm

Anywho - Do we have any Acoustical Physics Engineers in the house? Or possibly some quantum/string theory dudes with PHD's in here?

I would like to hear (subjectively, of course) what they have to say about this.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:27 pm

twinstates wrote:Is clearly coming from other sequencer manufacturers.
newboss wrote:bullshit (...) Very slow reaktion time on reported audio engine bugs and so on..
Aha! A little misstep there, from the NI mole! All right, people: now we know: NI are entering the sequencer market, and are going straight for Ableton's throat! 8O

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:37 pm

sporkles are you a scientist? no. get the hell out of here then

justchris86

Post by justchris86 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:41 pm

shut up and with then! stop bitching and do something about it!
"Do not quote or read this text"

https://soundcloud.com/unnecessary-roughness-yyc

dbfs

Post by dbfs » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:49 pm

simmerdown wrote:or am i the only one that missunderstands you so badly?

it seems,yes... you and dfhgs...just like in the audio illusions thread, there seems to be a general disconnect that leads to irrational posts
It's dbfs - The measurement used for digital audio

I'm totally connected! Are you kidding me? I have asked several question in this thread. Has anyone dared to take a stab at going outside of the box and thinking a little deeper and maybe playing along? No! Not one person. They are quick to get up on their high horse and wave a Bob Katz book around, but they aren't interested in debating the unexplainable. Sure, they want to you to do all these fuckin tests and shit to prove them wrong. But when it comes time for them to prove something. Its fuckin crickets and they are no where to been seen.

If your going to be talkin science, then you better be throwin' down some science. That's it!

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:55 pm

so, you're not playing, you really want an answer from a scientist on this topic, in this thread still. okaaay, wheres my butterfly net

( i wish there was a way to keep this going, without bumping it to the top of the list and ruining an otherwise fine forum day, so, i'm out..i sincerely hope your scientist shows up)

dbfs

Post by dbfs » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:00 pm

There wont be any scientists here. You can count on that! Just a bunch of bedroom DJ's with gigantic ego's and copy of Bob Katz's "Mastering Audio."

They truly have the universe figured out! It's written in a book! :lol:

Palmer Eldritch

Post by Palmer Eldritch » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:10 pm

simpli.cissimus wrote:
jlgrimes wrote:Ableton don't sound any different than any other DAWs as far as audio/VST playback and mixing.
That is not true and you can test this by yourself if you like.
I know it for sure and can't let you get away with that statement.

Make two identical projects, use only third part VST-Synth and effects and export.
Do that in two or three DAW's for reference.

If you can't hear a difference, then go and open an editor and you see it at least.

I uploaded already a test-project in the monolake thread, and you can use that one.
Downloaded your files, compared the mixdowns of Live vs. Studio One but did not notice any difference in regard to quality :?

cheers, palmer
Live 8_3_4 + 4b7_32+64 -Suite- Max4Live 5_1_9 _ core2DuoMacBook 2*2,16 Ghz + external FW HD _ OSX 10.6.8 _ 3G RAM _ M.H. MIO 2882 + 5.4d208 Driver _ Faderfox LV1 _ Akai MPK25 _ Logitec wheel mouse _______ PeacE will be the SOLution of LIVE

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:14 pm

jlgrimes wrote:Ableton don't sound any different than any other DAWs as far as audio/VST playback and mixing.

Ableton mentioned things in the manual that affects the sound quality, the biggest culprit is if you use the warping engine.

To my ears though using the Complex algorithm sounds fine when I need to use it.

If I am not using loops though, Live sounds pretty much the same as any other DAW.

What do people refer to when they mean sound quality?

1. The playback quality of wav files (via clip view or even VST samplers)
2. VSTi playback quality
3. VST playback quality
4. Mixing bus resolution (I believe Abelton is 64 bit double precision)
5. Plug-in processing resolution (I believe Ableton is 32 bit floating point).
6. Bad panning law
7. Bad dithering algorithm
8. Pops and clicks (not really sound quality but bugginess and stability)
9. Midi timing tightness (again not really sound quality).

I'd say 8 and 9 could probably definitely be issues for some people but I would consider than more of a performance/bugginess issue than sound quality..

well put! I limit myself to one comment per threads like these. If you just know the things that effect sound poorly than you can aviod/tweak them.

@newboss I can understand be unhappy about bugs in software but if I really did not like the software I would simply sell it and move on. Life is way to short to not be happy with software.
Last edited by HeadrickProductions on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:15 pm

Anywho - Do we have any Acoustical Physics Engineers in the house? Or possibly some quantum/string theory dudes with PHD's in here?
Surely a super-smart omniscient badass of a God like you would know where the Acoustical Physics Engineers and possibly some quantum/string theory dudes with PHD's hang out.

You seem to know it all, why are you asking questions anyway?

Man, and I used to think a persons post count was a measure of something more than their number of posts. Silly me, please don't smite me, My Liege.
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

dbfs

Post by dbfs » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:17 pm

Palmer Eldritch wrote:
simpli.cissimus wrote:
That is not true and you can test this by yourself if you like.
I know it for sure and can't let you get away with that statement.

Make two identical projects, use only third part VST-Synth and effects and export.
Do that in two or three DAW's for reference.

If you can't hear a difference, then go and open an editor and you see it at least.

I uploaded already a test-project in the monolake thread, and you can use that one.
Downloaded your files, compared the mixdowns of Live vs. Studio One but did not notice any difference in regard to quality :?

cheers, palmer
Maybe you need to go get your ears cleaned out. And I'm being serious about that. I do it every couple months and it makes a huge difference in the way that hear things in audio. You should see the size of the balls of wax the doctor washes out. Some are the size of m&m. Incredibly important to keep your ears cleaned.

And thats probably whats at work here. People's ears are just full of wax, literally.. They cannot hear the differences because they have either blown their ears dj'ing with a monitors blasting 110db right next to their face. - Or they just have never cleaned out their ears and heard what a difference it makes.