All this about sound quality

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pencilrocket

Re: All this about sound quality

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:53 am

It's partly ableton's fault, I think. They hyped noobs and got money. I don't think it is fully bad thing. Because it is one of the ways to run business. Very common way.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:39 am

I read these accusations about ableton being a 'lazy product' that creates 'lazy musicians' etc etc and I just think this:

An Acoustic Guitar:

Level of difficulty in picking it up and playing something forgettable and not worth anyone's attention: Very Low

Level of difficulty in picking it up and playing something interesting and memorable and worth the attention of a discerning audience: Rather High

Ableton Live:

Level of difficulty in turning it on and making something forgettable and not worth anyone's attention: Very Low

Level of difficulty in turning it on and making something interesting and memorable and worth the attention of a discerning audience: Rather High

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:03 am

pencilrocket wrote:I will borrow your phrases on Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:37 am
You "borrow my phrases" real good Wolfgang.

:lol:
Unsound Designer

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:04 am

hey, i wonder what's going on at the ableton forum...

...oh.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:36 am

mholloway wrote:I read these accusations about ableton being a 'lazy product' that creates 'lazy musicians' etc etc and I just think this:

An Acoustic Guitar:

Level of difficulty in picking it up and playing something forgettable and not worth anyone's attention: Very Low

Level of difficulty in picking it up and playing something interesting and memorable and worth the attention of a discerning audience: Rather High

Ableton Live:

Level of difficulty in turning it on and making something forgettable and not worth anyone's attention: Very Low

Level of difficulty in turning it on and making something interesting and memorable and worth the attention of a discerning audience: Rather High

-M
I agree with you that it is not simple to create good music, but there is no doubt that Live has been resonsible for loads of crappy electronic music. I believe I read on robert's page that he echoed the same feeling.

Then again I also feel like lots of software has caused many kids to not learn to play music but instead play with programs, loops. While it is a great thing to know the ins and outs of software and production techniques it will never replace sitting down with friends and playing music. Instead people are "performing" pre made sets with some knob twisting which leaves no room for spontaneity.

Again I am not at all saying that you can't make amazing music in live, I simply saying that it CAN cause people to get side tracked and not pursue learning theory, learning to play, seeking out others to play with if you can download some loops and fire them up and think that you've made a song.

I think we are all agreeing but saying it in different ways. Just opinions that I've stated before and will continue to believe.

I'll trade my copy of Live for a bettis ride any day of the week :lol:
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:29 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:late 50's soul, and early funk records were recorded in what todays "standards" would consider low quality, but they still seem to sound better to me than most of the music produced by todays "standards."
i've heard that the dynamic range is/was better on records than CD but i don't have any science™ to confirm this allegation.

however, recent events suggest ears are admissible for this kind of debate.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:48 pm

whatever the outcome of all this, and i do hope more tests come, the result (IMO) will still be subjective preference...just look at monolake's test from the other day, no two answers alike...

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:52 pm

And once again, if you want to know why the answers are all different, and why human ears alone can never test objectively, the answers are here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wj ... AAAAAAABAA

Having to keep posting that is getting old.

:x
Unsound Designer

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:52 pm

simmerdown wrote:whatever the outcome
simmerdown wrote:the outcome
simmerdown wrote:outcome

your statement suggests that there is an end to this.

- 10 yards.
1st down.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:00 pm

"outcome of all this" = outcome of this particular thread

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:01 pm

Yeah maybe people jumped on the ease side with music performances.

But why only with ableton?

I remember this guy who was playing just after my set, he used Reason for his set.
Loadin a track, turning a knob and a fader just to say he does, then loading another track and same till the end.
Off course I also saw those ubber performers on ableton, havin just their track playbacked and same as above, just a matter of turning knobs and faders for only performance.

Lazy or busy, it's related to users
We are humans with brain, we can choose to use it or not and loading premade stuff.

Maybe because I'm coming from a real band with drummer + bassist + guitarist and singer, I always felt bad to act like this.
I simply need to be over busy on stage, living my music.
Audience like and love a nice show with busy people under the spotlights.
Adding some real instruments, maybe even making a scenery, you tell a story and entertain the listeners, a whole task.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:35 pm

simmerdown wrote:"outcome of all this" = outcome of this particular thread
:x

holding.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:43 pm

Brotip: The audience doesn't care whether you mix live or play a 3 hour pre-recorded tape. The audience will probably have a good time either way, if it doesn't sound like a wreck.

The real question is: Are you having fun being pretentious and all, while watching the timer says "2 hours 38 minutes of prerecordedmix.mp3 remaining"? I say do whatever you want, but in the end, you're only cheating yourself.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:49 pm

H20nly wrote:
holding.
i pride myself on knowing very little about baseball

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:51 pm

Pretty sure that's a hockey term.