All this about sound quality

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dbfs

Re: All this about sound quality

Post by dbfs » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:42 am

Well, its never too late to see the light, newboss. I think its starting to dawn on you, and thats a good thing. Congrats!

When you break it down, this forum is filled with handful of very vocal posters who have somehow strong armed their way into making everyone believe they are crazy for hearing things differently.

They do this by acquiring a large post count, which is seen by others, as having some credibility to what they say. They know that and play off it. But now I'm the guy coming in and calling out their bullshit, and they don't like that at all. :mrgreen:

They cant keep using the same ol' tired arguments when they are challenged with a whole new perspective where the stock standard drivel answer does not apply.

No one likes me because I see right through their bullshit. Typical Scorpio!

newboss

Post by newboss » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:46 am

dbfs wrote:Well, its never too late to see the light, newboss. I think its starting to dawn on you, and thats a good thing. Congrats!

When you break it down, this forum is filled with hand full of very vocal posters who have some how strong armed there way into making everyone believe they are crazy for hearing things differently.

They do this by acquiring a large post count, which is seen by others, as having some credibility to what they say. They know that and play off it. But now I'm the guy coming in and calling out their bullshit, and they don't like that at all. :mrgreen:

They cant keep using the same ol' tired arguments when they are challenged with a whole new perspective where the stock standard drivel answer does not apply.

yep.. but getting aggressive about audio kids dont helps the cause.. even when its sometimes hard to stay cool its worth to try

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:56 am

newboss wrote:while Steinberg statetd that they have improoved their audio quality during the last years..

Is that a promotional lie?
Stainberg may say new stretch algorithm as "improoved audio quality". I don't know how the reality is though.

dbfs

Post by dbfs » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:01 am

newboss wrote:
dbfs wrote:Well, its never too late to see the light, newboss. I think its starting to dawn on you, and thats a good thing. Congrats!

When you break it down, this forum is filled with hand full of very vocal posters who have some how strong armed there way into making everyone believe they are crazy for hearing things differently.

yep.. but getting aggressive about audio kids dont helps the cause.. even when its sometimes hard to stay cool its worth to try
At the risk of being vulnerable, I'm actually a really nice person. Extremely nice, infact... I'm just not impressed by people with huge egos and attitudes, unwilling to take others perspectives into account. That's selfish and ignorant. And those people aren't trying to advance. They are just fine with being "average" and content with whatever they have been told is "right." And we know where average gets you... :lol:

Its just the antics that go on in this forum need to be checked and its far more entertaining to have a little pizazz in your posts, then to just sound like another guy posting. I can guarantee you that I am unmistakable for anyone else on this forum. I like that. It means I stand out and my perspective will be viewed, one way or another. Will people like it? Who fuckin cares! But i can bet you top dollar they will stop and think for a moment. And thats what's important here. :wink:

Audio isn't as cut and dry as it is made out to be in book and forums. Theres are a ridiculous amount of variables at work that are absolutely different from one person to the next. That is fact.

Saying all DAW's sound the same is NOT fact.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:11 am

newboss wrote:reading the katz book the one day and beeing a mastering pro that writes own guides the next week? now that i call a selfmade man.
I dind't even wait a week, it was probably only a day or two after I read that book before I changed my title to Mastering Engineer and started posting articles in the third person. 3 days tops.

dbfs

Post by dbfs » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:12 am

Tarekith wrote:
newboss wrote:reading the katz book the one day and beeing a mastering pro that writes own guides the next week? now that i call a selfmade man.
I dind't even wait a week, it was probably only a day or two after I read that book before I changed my title to Mastering Engineer and started posting articles in the third person. 3 days tops.
That completely disqualifies you from this thread. Pack your bags! You're fired!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:14 am

I'll get my coat, you guys definitely showed me.

dbfs

Post by dbfs » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:14 am

A real mastering engineer wouldn't even be in here defending himself. You realize how lame you look, right?
Last edited by dbfs on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:15 am

And where in this thread did I defend myself?

newboss

Post by newboss » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:19 am

pencilrocket wrote:
newboss wrote:while Steinberg statetd that they have improoved their audio quality during the last years..

Is that a promotional lie?
Stainberg may say new stretch algorithm as "improoved audio quality". I don't know how the reality is though.
i dont know either.. just had latly the chance to compare a simultaneous multitrack recording in live and cubase and cubase sounded way finer..

And i know that not so long ago even applying the crossfader to single live tracks degenerated their audio quality already..that got fixed long ago without showing up in the change log, but that proves that many things can go wrong in abletons complex audio engine and that they are a bit shy about improvements in that direction. Probably they have claimed perfection way to early and therefor cant advertise improvements or bug fixes in that area anymore.

Question is ..what is the actual state of L8´s audio engine .

And..much more difficult to find out.. will things that go wrong on one hardware config will go wrong on another too.

With L8 we have seen times where one week one part of the users had the crashes on beta xy.1 while the next week they got stable operation while another part of the users got the crashes with beta xy.2.

Can same things apply to the audio problems some experience? I got a macbook pro now because abletons inhouse testing is almost exclusively done on pro books. So maybe i am on the sunny side of live now..

But..to know that i ve to repeat the tests i did a half year ago where live clearly lost again logic and where the external fx plug of ableton did dread full things with my nice jünger limiter.. turning it soundwise into a cheap ableton plug in... while in logic you clearly got why this machine was the official german broadcast limiter for the last decade..

Just.. i really fear the test.. would be depressive when the phenomenon is still there.. I actually wish that i can anounce that in my actual setup there is no audible difference between logic and live.. i really wish that. Just.. the audio troubke seemed also on my old setup seemed to come and go.. on some projects not a single second wher i questioned the sound..on on others it became quite obvious.. never really got close what has caused it..maybe having files with different samplerates in one project? but that shouldt cause SR to be on on files that have the correct samplerate or effect the functionality of the external fx plug.. but..who knows,,with L8 every weard thing is possible. The latest beta with the new report routine shows that ableton themself dont see L8 as finished yet and that we are still in the beta state with L8.

Shall i do the test with L8.27 or the latest beta with report routine enabled?

dbfs

Post by dbfs » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:20 am

Tarekith wrote:And where in this thread did I defend myself?
You didn't, and that's what makes you even more lame. I keep telling you guys this shit.. I don't make the rules up, I just play along with them. And in our culture, not defending yourself is seen as a weak trait. Just sayin... Blame life I suppose...

Isn't there a subject that you could be writing about in third person right now?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:23 am

So I look lame IF I defend myself, but I also look lame if I DON'T?

newboss

Post by newboss » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:23 am

Tarekith wrote:
your signature states "Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music. "

so you are on the way on spezializing.. so still a student

So your guides are rather your own homework to recall what you have learned from bob katz? I guess its ok to do such a thing as a student.. just how you titled your recap is a bit pompous

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:25 am

I'm not sure I follow your logic, can you clarify what you mean?

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:25 am

simmerdown wrote:i think there are differences, for example frootyloops sounds (crappy)...but i think it wont be solved here (as there are no scientists)

i think you underestimate people, and make a lot of assumptions...which makes giving you crap all the more easy and entertaining
People says FL sounds better since long ago as Live stretch audio strange way in real time on the other hand FL stretch it prepared. As many people here have been mentioning warp sounds odd, I don't use Live's stretch for final project. I know a person who have difficulties in the sound of Live's warp and he switched his daw to FL. Being unable to look into source code, I don't know what mathmatic is hiden there so I can never be sure to say conclution... I know warp is very useful for realtime situation. Don't get me wrong.
Last edited by pencilrocket on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.