Help With Progressive House Snares

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Junior P

Help With Progressive House Snares

Post by Junior P » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:20 am

Whenever I try to make prog house, or any house music really I always have a problem.
The snare!
Mine always sounds too big or too small
They never fit in a mix and usually just end up sounding chunky :(
So what I'd like is a step by step tutorial on this (ie which samples to use, how to fit them into the mix, compressing etc)

Examples
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUxvIxhMrCc&ob=av2e
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP3N7QW4Zg0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siMe8jf21WM

Cheers,
Jack

pencilrocket

Re: Help With Progressive House Snares

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 am

You can cut/reduce specific freq of each percussions with EQ to make room for them.

Junior P

Post by Junior P » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:59 am

pencilrocket wrote:You can cut/reduce specific freq of each percussions with EQ to make room for them.
Im aware of that but i cant seem to do it right

Dr. Fluffenstein

Post by Dr. Fluffenstein » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:33 am

If you happen to have the full soundprank track (not the anjunabeats promo version on youtube), go to around 6:03. You'll hear the snare playing without the kick. Since it's hard to really hear what a snare sounds like on top of a kick I think you'll find it helpful hearing the snare in isolation since you'll be able to better tell how it was mixed and what type of samples were used. I think (but I'm not sure) that he might have removed one of the layers when it's playing on it's own.

There's also a bit of a a reverse noise build or a reverse reverb before every other clap/snare. It's like a little woosh and it gives it a more thwacky kind of sound. I find this always makes a snare or clap have more impact.

Junior P

Post by Junior P » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:00 am

Dr. Fluffenstein wrote:If you happen to have the full soundprank track (not the anjunabeats promo version on youtube), go to around 6:03. You'll hear the snare playing without the kick. Since it's hard to really hear what a snare sounds like on top of a kick I think you'll find it helpful hearing the snare in isolation since you'll be able to better tell how it was mixed and what type of samples were used. I think (but I'm not sure) that he might have removed one of the layers when it's playing on it's own.

There's also a bit of a a reverse noise build or a reverse reverb before every other clap/snare. It's like a little woosh and it gives it a more thwacky kind of sound. I find this always makes a snare or clap have more impact.
Yeah I know what you mean
Still, I can almost get the sound I'm after but I'm not quite there (hence asking for a tutorial)