finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta 'soon'...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Angstrom
Posts: 14745
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta soon...

Post by Angstrom » Wed May 30, 2012 2:54 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:I dont know, seems no different than giving someone a box of modular synth modules and a rack.
Some will dive right in and figure it out, others will be stumped by the options and give up easily.

When building in M4L, alt click on objects, learn what they do. The documentation is very through for these kinds of platforms.
I tried M4L and learned enough of it to learn that it doesn't actually do the things I want (in-Live routing, altering the main GUI, etc).

Of the things I want that it can actually do I found that other tools did them better, less obtrusively, more immediately. EG: snapshots = ClyphX , making instruments or effects = Synthmaker or Reaktor, for a user-library = Reaktor.

I write code myself, and I also very much like modularity. I am certainly not afraid of putting in the time if the payoff was worth it. I appreciate that for other people it is the perfect solution , whether that because of their style of music, or the way they work. For me it does not solve my problems so it is not worth it.

JuanSOLO
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:21 am
Location: Shreveport LA, sometimes Dallas/Ft Worth TX

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta soon...

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed May 30, 2012 3:10 pm

it's far from the perfect solution fer sure.
Reaktor is tuff to compete with in regards to performance/sound of synths and effects.

Rationalizer
Posts: 1307
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:14 pm
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta soon...

Post by Rationalizer » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:36 am

Bitwig wrote: We know you're all burning to find out more about Bitwig Studio, and we're very pleased to finally start sending out the first beta invites.

Along with the beta, we're releasing a series of screen capture videos showing various features and explaining functions in the software. We hope we can satisfy a bit of the curiosity of those of you who can't take part in the first testing round.

This first video shows Bitwig Studio in action playing the beta demo song that our sound designer, Genys, just completed. Check out the video to see what awaits you when you open the application for the first time. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyofAQ3ueDk
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

Sibanger
Posts: 2225
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:44 am
Location: Melbourne/Australia
Contact:

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta soon...

Post by Sibanger » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:49 am

Looks like session & arrangement at the same time....

Midi arrangement/sequencer looks great. Multiple instruments shown on same grid. Nice :)

The gui & workflow seems impressive & easy to customise.
Last edited by Sibanger on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rationalizer
Posts: 1307
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:14 pm
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta soon...

Post by Rationalizer » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:56 am

Yeah! I've gotta say that I'm pretty excited to see the other videos. Would be nice to see how they've implemented the dual monitor support for example.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

friend_kami
Posts: 2255
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 10:10 pm

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta soon...

Post by friend_kami » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:06 am

have to say though that even though that video was a nice teaser they REALLY need to get a better musician to showcase their stuff. that song is HORRIBLE. damn.

but that midi editor? yes please.

Sibanger
Posts: 2225
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:44 am
Location: Melbourne/Australia
Contact:

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta soon...

Post by Sibanger » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:07 am

Did you think their sound engine lacked quality Rationalizer ?


:D

That midi editor does look fucking sweet friend_kami. Yup 8)

garyboozy
Posts: 2633
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta soon...

Post by garyboozy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:12 am

multi-clip piano roll editor! looks cool (but i never got on with Cubase's version of this - too fiddly).

and i like how each track's devices are also shown underneath eack track meter, where they can be rearranged and clicked on to flip to that track/device. much nicer than having to manually navigate to a device in Live. will be interesting to see how they deal with showing nested devices in tracks..

rydn
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta soon...

Post by rydn » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:13 am

Yeah, lame song. It takes away from the presentation.

Linear Phase
Posts: 398
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:24 am
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Contact:

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta soon...

Post by Linear Phase » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:15 am

Its worthless.. I wouldn't invest in the company on a bet.

A. Reaktor.

B. Pro-Tools.

C. Nuendo.

D. Cubase.

E. Sonar.

F. Logic.

G. Ableton.

H. Max.

I. FLstudio.

J. Reason.

Furthermore, there are several other smaller DAWs, who's users are very loyal and will not be switching any time soon. Orion, Mulab, Bidule, Podium, Renoise, Acid, Reaper...

Almost every DAW on the list above is unique, except Bitwig. Which is really just a pretty GUI, and some features that may look enticing, but are probably a lot less than what they seem, when you get your hands on the demo.

I think the whole concept is plain rude! "Let's take our former employers idea, and mix and match with a bunch of feature requests from the forums." But they forget one major thing...

Why are the worlds top producers still using Cubase, Sonar, Pro-Tools and Logic? Audio editing! And yeah.. They probably have a license to Abe Live.. but still...... Audio editing. If it can't edit audio like Cubase, Sonar, Pro-Tools, and Logic, it is not much of a threat. All Ableton has to do with v9 is market their own simplicity. The fact that Ableton is a mature program. The fact that Max is far more extensive than anything in Bitwig. PEOPLE.. ---> Max is huge. It is so deep.. Its like an ocean. Its way more than a few lfo's that can connect to each other...

We are not living in an economy where people take $199, $399, or $599 and just shell out, for the hell of it.
Linear Phase has left the building..

friend_kami
Posts: 2255
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 10:10 pm

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta soon...

Post by friend_kami » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:19 am

Linear Phase wrote:Its worthless.. I wouldn't invest in the company on a bet.

A. Reaktor.

B. Pro-Tools.

C. Nuendo.

D. Cubase.

E. Sonar.

F. Logic.

G. Ableton.

H. Max.

I. FLstudio.

J. Reason.

Furthermore, there are several other smaller DAWs, who's users are very loyal and will not be switching any time soon. Orion, Mulab, Bidule, Podium, Renoise, Acid, Reaper...

Almost every DAW on the list above is unique, except Bitwig. Which is really just a pretty GUI, and some features that may look enticing, but are probably a lot less than what they seem, when you get your hands on the demo.

I think the whole concept is plain rude! "Let's take our former employers idea, and mix and match with a bunch of feature requests from the forums." But they forget one major thing...

Why are the worlds top producers still using Cubase, Sonar, Pro-Tools and Logic? Audio editing! And yeah.. They probably have a license to Abe Live.. but still...... Audio editing. If it can't edit audio like Cubase, Sonar, Pro-Tools, and Logic, it is not much of a threat. All Ableton has to do with v9 is market their own simplicity. The fact that Ableton is a mature program. The fact that Max is far more extensive than anything in Bitwig. PEOPLE.. ---> Max is huge. It is so deep.. Its like an ocean. Its way more than a few lfo's that can connect to each other...

We are not living in an economy where people take $199, $399, or $599 and just shell out, for the hell of it.
yeah but it's also a separate product for 400 bucks, to complement an already overpriced "daw".

Linear Phase
Posts: 398
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:24 am
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Contact:

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta soon...

Post by Linear Phase » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:25 am

friend_kami wrote:
Linear Phase wrote:Its worthless.. I wouldn't invest in the company on a bet.

A. Reaktor.

B. Pro-Tools.

C. Nuendo.

D. Cubase.

E. Sonar.

F. Logic.

G. Ableton.

H. Max.

I. FLstudio.

J. Reason.

Furthermore, there are several other smaller DAWs, who's users are very loyal and will not be switching any time soon. Orion, Mulab, Bidule, Podium, Renoise, Acid, Reaper...

Almost every DAW on the list above is unique, except Bitwig. Which is really just a pretty GUI, and some features that may look enticing, but are probably a lot less than what they seem, when you get your hands on the demo.

I think the whole concept is plain rude! "Let's take our former employers idea, and mix and match with a bunch of feature requests from the forums." But they forget one major thing...

Why are the worlds top producers still using Cubase, Sonar, Pro-Tools and Logic? Audio editing! And yeah.. They probably have a license to Abe Live.. but still...... Audio editing. If it can't edit audio like Cubase, Sonar, Pro-Tools, and Logic, it is not much of a threat. All Ableton has to do with v9 is market their own simplicity. The fact that Ableton is a mature program. The fact that Max is far more extensive than anything in Bitwig. PEOPLE.. ---> Max is huge. It is so deep.. Its like an ocean. Its way more than a few lfo's that can connect to each other...

We are not living in an economy where people take $199, $399, or $599 and just shell out, for the hell of it.
yeah but it's also a separate product for 400 bucks, to complement an already overpriced "daw".

What's a separate product? Max? Doesn't matter. Max is so extensive, that people who need it, or want it, have to buy it. You can't expect the Bitwig modular system to be anything near Max.. That is just common sense. Come on? What is Max? Like a totally technical computer language, and architecture developed over years, and years, by top computer scientists.

You can not just, "put a wannabe looking Reaktor Synth, in a GUI mashup of Ableton and call it, "max."
Linear Phase has left the building..

Sibanger
Posts: 2225
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:44 am
Location: Melbourne/Australia
Contact:

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta soon...

Post by Sibanger » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:31 am

Rationalizer wrote:Yeah! I've gotta say that I'm pretty excited to see the other videos. Would be nice to see how they've implemented the dual monitor support for example.
http://bitwig.com/bitwig_studio.php
Multi-monitor support

Bitwig Studio offers flexible screensets to take full advantage of your monitor configuration.

sigabort
Posts: 366
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:45 pm
Location: London

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta soon...

Post by sigabort » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:38 am

watched video. nothing exciting really. certainly nothing yet that would make me even start thinking about a move

Acid303
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:07 am

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta soon...

Post by Acid303 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:39 am

I think it's finally good competition for live which can only be a good thing. I'm sure live will borrow a few ideas from bitwig creators just like they have done from when they worked on live.

Post Reply