finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta 'soon'...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nathannn

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta soon...

Post by nathannn » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:32 am

i still think they just wanted some grant money.... i know i want some grant money.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:19 am

i've been using the beta. got it last week. no NDA was sent out, so no idea why no-one's talking about it.

i like it. it needs a fair bit of work to get it to a v1 release though. many advertised features (ones i'm interested in) are still missing, and devices don't seem to be feature complete. but already it feels pretty good. need to have more time with it. and the polysynth's per-note automation thing is very cool.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:17 pm

garyboozy wrote:i've been using the beta. got it last week. no NDA was sent out, so no idea why no-one's talking about it.

i like it. it needs a fair bit of work to get it to a v1 release though. many advertised features (ones i'm interested in) are still missing, and devices don't seem to be feature complete. but already it feels pretty good. need to have more time with it. and the polysynth's per-note automation thing is very cool.
Well at some point you should write a review, to educate all those who think Bitwig will be just like Ableton Live but with all the features from the wish list added, and none of the bugs.

rsaulo

Post by rsaulo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:41 pm

Angstrom wrote:
garyboozy wrote:i've been using the beta. got it last week. no NDA was sent out, so no idea why no-one's talking about it.

Well at some point you should write a review, to educate all those who think Bitwig will be just like Ableton Live but with all the features from the wish list added, and none of the bugs.
I was really impressed how people think that some company will release an entirely new DAW "close" to an DAW like Live with NO BUGS and with all "wanted features" included...

Bitwig will come as an competitor, what is good, but at the beginning, will just HELP Ableton to justify all the problems they have, as ANY software company, just because BitWig will have more missing features from Live that features that Live´s users have in they wish list.

Ableton has critics just because they have nobody to compete, now all of users will have some software to compare, and make your decision.

IMHO

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:54 pm

I agree with most of what you said, but this part stood out, had too comment
rsaulo wrote:Ableton has critics just because they have nobody to compete...
Seems people have been wanting Ableton to be more like, OR comparing it to:
Logic
ProTools
Reaper
Cubase
Reason
and FL Studio

for years.
Many of them wanting Live to be more like a traditional, linear DAW.
Bitwig will validate Ableton for many users, but for so many others they will continue wanting Live to be some other software. Now they just have another one to compare it too.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:08 pm

mmm, nah.
I think most people want Ableton Live to be more of Ableton Live.

I use Live in a classic 'studio' situation, for songwriting, and mixing and I'd like things such as : Session view to be able to handle groups of clips as one (groupclips), to be able to encapsulate complexity, to allow customisation of the interface (screensets), to allow arrangement to become as non-linear as Session is, to allow multiple arrangement/sessions to be loaded at once. Things like that.

...and I'm a 'studio/DAW' type user. I think most people want Live to step up to its promise, and not just add instruments and effects, or partner with some companies for mutual marketing opportunities.

When people ask for things that they see in other DAWs it's not that (for example) merely that they want it to become Nuendo, only that they want better video support in general. That's very different.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:15 pm

Angstrom wrote:When people ask for things that they see in other DAWs it's not that (for example) merely that they want it to become Nuendo, only that they want better video support in general. That's very different.

True, yet I see some many post that read as if people would rather be using something else.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:21 pm

^ yes.. same for me also.. multiple clip editing, better midi programability, record to clip in session, group audio clips.. The usual stuff :)

Ableton Live needs to be more like Ableton Live should/could be!!

The reality is imo that Live is soooo close to being the real deal.. Infuriatingly close perhaps,,, hence the frustration that is often felt?

Hd

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:16 pm

Here's Computer Music's article about Bitwig beta (which they apparently have):
http://www.musicradar.com/computermusic ... ive-553523
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:39 pm

Rationalizer wrote:Here's Computer Music's article about Bitwig beta (which they apparently have):

So it’s mostly a big yawn after multi window and some session view elements accessible in arrange view, and it sounds like it still has a way to go before standard features are stable and working properly.

I hope everybody feels silly and can now get on with their life.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:13 pm

the guy on SC who has a BW project up, i asked him real quick if he was a team member or an actual beta tester......
Hey simmerdown,

I'm just a lucky beta tester who believes in Bitwig ability to bend new corners in Live-oriented Music sequencer design.
Beta is far for being over. So I hope you'll get yours eventually!

cheers,

M
add:

read the review/overview....sounds like there is a lot not functional yet, including 3rd party vst, hybrid midi/audio clips and on and on

i think M was right, it'll be a long beta

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:58 pm

beats me wrote:
Rationalizer wrote:Here's Computer Music's article about Bitwig beta (which they apparently have):

So it’s mostly a big yawn after multi window and some session view elements accessible in arrange view, and it sounds like it still has a way to go before standard features are stable and working properly.

I hope everybody feels silly and can now get on with their life.
Did we read the same article??

"f everything Bitwig promise for Bitwig Studio becomes reality, it really could represent a generational leap beyond Ableton Live 8. The Arrange view Clip Launcher, automation system, effects routing and point editing alone making Ableton's incumbent DAW seem surprisingly dated and conservative in comparison. "
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:16 pm

The workflow improvements that are already working get me excited.
ImageImage

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:18 pm

Not 1 video of someone using any generic controller, and doing something Ableton Live cannot.
I feel like people are using the word performance in the context of what sports car oil does to a Porsche.

No VST support yet?
I doubt dual monitors will compensate for that on a laptop.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:27 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:Not 1 video of someone using any generic controller, and doing something Ableton Live cannot.
I feel like people are using the word performance in the context of what sports car oil does to a Porsche.

No VST support yet?
I doubt dual monitors will compensate for that on a laptop.

Yeah, cuz they'll be releasing it to the buying public without VST support :roll:

It's fine if you have arguments against bitwig, but make them real, ya?

as for no videos with controllers...you do realize, there are like 2 videos total out there, *at all*. so If you're gonna complain about anything, complain about a company taking a weirdly long, slow amount of time to develop and reveal their product.....oh shit...deja vu......
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir