finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta 'soon'...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
knotkranky

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta soon...

Post by knotkranky » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:29 am

It's gonna be a hell of a long time before Bitwigs' shortcoming are surpassed by it's promised fulfillments, and even longer before it threatens Ableton. A looooooooooooooooong time......

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:36 am

Ok, lets have some predictions on a release date for this thing.
When do you think you will be able to pay money to purchase and obtain a copy Bitwig Studio, whether by download or on a disk.

My guess: May 2013, after the April Musicmesse

It looks like they have at least 6 months of beta testing to go yet, as many features appear to be missing.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:45 am

For a 1.0 Official release, I'll go with your May date, but I don't think it'll be as expensive as people think. Many assume it's by the price that one site put it as and even if not it has a subconscious impact. I think it'll be around 250 and public beta by mid-August '12.
May 2013 sounds like a good date for 9 as well :lol:
ImageImage

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:56 am

^ You guys are optimists.

initial release - spring 2014

Probably should get a pool thread going with a few hedge bet choices like; non beta release date or when will they meet all adverted features.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:05 am

agreed, they have set themselves a mighty task. building an enhanced Live is a whole lot more complicated than building a new linear DAW, and look how long it has taken for new linear DAWs to develop and mature, e.g. Studio One.

IMO they've shot themselves in the foot by building something so unashamedly similar to Live.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:07 am

and there's still clearly a long way to go in terms of features, stability and performance (we're hoping it's early days for the warping system, the Inspector and many of the devices, particularly)
read that 3 times ^^^...stability even? devices?

1 year from today is my guess
IMO they've shot themselves in the foot by building something so unashamedly similar to Live.
i wonder how many of those were their idea in the first place, that they had to leave behind at Ab HQ when they checked out

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:15 am

btw, i don't think it's an ethically bad thing that they are building an "enhanced Live". however i do think it will be a big problem for their marketing and pricing, which will in the longer term will make it difficult to generate and maintain enough income to continue to develop and support their product...

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:08 am

Geez, they can't be thinking of much other than grabbing disgruntled Ableton fans. Which is weird. They must really have an ace up the sleeve or they're just recklessly ambitious. If bitwig has cpu headroom for days and sounds omg!, that'll be big for me... In a couple years.

Live will be evolving too of course. And will probably get real aggressive at 'stealing back' bitwig hopefuls with improvements.

I see bitwig getting trounced under Ableton's weight.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:58 am

it smells like it's a project done out of spite. "this stuff is easy, why won't you guys use our ideas? screw you, we'll do it ourselves." did they get venture capital or are they asking employees to eat Ramen and wait for sales to come in to get paid?

looks like they have all of four people writing code and fixing bugs:

http://bitwig.com/company.php

I'd like to see a before and after picture of their first big push.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:24 am

wuz up Tone? Yeah, that struck me too. I thought maybe they're trust-fund kids with an outsourced codeshop of sorts.

These dudes must be tired as hell working furiously to make their dream happen. But yeah, It's more a dream right now ).

But hell yeah, go for it bitwig. No shortage of balls over there. 8)

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:28 am

simmerdown wrote:who the hell says that? 'potential game-changer.'...sounds like some lazy journalism copy/pasted from the bw press release
Writers have to earn money to buy bread as well.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:38 am

hey kk - same as always, a few new loonies in the asylum but same as it ever was. well, not always. ;)

Apple could be sitting back thinking that this Live style of DAW is trending and they should jump on that bandwagon. they'd be great candidates to get online collabs rolling, finally.

competition is good but FFS Ableton, drop your load and let's get on with it!!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:41 am

payroll is the biggest expense for any company, by staying lean bw is keeping their costs down

doesnt ableton have like 100 employees? no wonder its $800

pricepoint will be a huge factor in how they fair in the market, if it is $250?... in this economy thats calling in a whole other crowd that will see Live as High End

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:58 am

Does any one know any more about the BWig's background with Ableton other than whats up on the site?
For example...

How long where they with the abes?
or..
What did they do at AHQ?
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:25 am

simmerdown wrote:payroll is the biggest expense for any company, by staying lean bw is keeping their costs down

doesnt ableton have like 100 employees? no wonder its $800

pricepoint will be a huge factor in how they fair in the market, if it is $250?... in this economy thats calling in a whole other crowd that will see Live as High End
sure, but the problem is that top-notch coding and support takes a lot of man-woman-hours. i bet all the Bitwiggers are currently working like crazy right now, fueled by the adrenaline of an impending launch, but that kind of effort can't be sustained forever.