finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta 'soon'...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eyeknow

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta 'soon'...

Post by eyeknow » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:26 pm

dnbhallifax wrote:2 years to build a daw from the ground up with 5 developers.

VS:

3+ years to release a very small handful of new features
(many of which are just UI enhancements. New effects of which were developed by 3rd party companies.)

Snail's pace you say?
Yeah... :roll:

Yeah, it could go vapoware... But assuming it doesn't, they clearly did a lot more done in the time than Ableton did.
Indeed, soon is an obscure concept ... :lol:
Agreed that live isn't exactly on the express track. None of them are these days. Reaper used to be. If you do the prereleases then that moves pretty fast I guess.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:31 pm

Sibanger wrote:
eyeknow wrote:Listen, I'm old and crippled in the head, I have no idea what that means.
:lol:

Meaning Garyboozy, the original poster, is using Bitwig beta.

Not sure, but he may be the only person on the beta program for Bitwig. :wink:

'Soon' is an obscure concept.
Well, if people actually have the beta, then something should be happening to where they can at least shoot for summer. It just seems like they should open up the beta more.

I just went through this though with the live 9 beta. FACT, they didn't move quickly at all with that. Actually, it seems like they are moving faster with betas now that it's released :?

Anyways, didn't you guys know, now bitwig is called BWS, please try and keep up! :mrgreen:

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:52 pm

SOON

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:03 am

:lol:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:40 am

dnbhallifax wrote:2 years to build a daw from the ground up with 5 developers
I could be mistaken but I think development was in it's second year, at least, two years ago. The start of this thread was not near the beginning of Bitwig.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:24 am

H20nly wrote:
I could be mistaken but I think development was in it's second year, at least, two years ago. The start of this thread was not near the beginning of Bitwig.
Three years is about when they popped into the radar, a little less actually. It wasn't until about a year and a half ago that it was announced as a DAW.
Founded in 2009 according to their web site.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:26 am

2009 is quite a while ago. Aren't they ex x abe's? I think it was common knowledge they were doing a daw from the beginning.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:49 am

eyeknow wrote:2009 is quite a while ago. Aren't they ex x abe's? I think it was common knowledge they were doing a daw from the beginning.
Nope, it was up in the air whether it was a total computer based instrument for live performance or something more like Live where it's for both.
Slightly disappointed they didn't go the total live performance route their early questions and hints pointed to.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:05 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOr4Bxk-ctc
Not much to see here but it's the "first track released into the wild using Bitwig Studio beta." So as you can see... it can at least play audio files and warp them :P

I have no issue with using multiple DAWs. It keeps things interesting, breaks me of habits. I'm excited to see what these guys do but it will take a while for the product to mature. It doesn't send midi out??? Seems like a crazy big oversight. Sounds like they're just trying to get this baby out the gate.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:35 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
H20nly wrote:
Three years is about when they popped into the radar, a little less actually. It wasn't until about a year and a half ago that it was announced as a DAW.
Founded in 2009 according to their web site.
yeah, i'm going to roll with my original guess... at least 4 years. it seems to be closer than the number of jelly beans that you guessed are in the jar.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=116571&hilit=+bitwig

and that's when it was first mentioned on this forum... which means that they probably didn't come up with the idea the day before.

dnbhallifax

Post by dnbhallifax » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:50 pm

Fair enough... and again, it certainly could go vaporware (but I personally don't think it will, on that time table that puts them a few million dollars into development... )

I would imagine the first year for them was just speccing the app and then raising money from various investors before building any significant code ...

I think the big mistake they've made so far was by announcing it so prematurely. They should have had a smaller closed beta and only announced that "zey fur int beeta testink" :lol: 6 months before they were ready to launch... That they definitely handled it poorly.
(Although who knows, that may very well be something they've had to do in order to continue raising development money ...)

Either way it will be interesting to see what, if anything develops...

CFM

Post by CFM » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:56 pm

I'm sure it will be released - no company in the end can trade without a product, development money only goes so far. Hardest job for Bitwig is still to come - that's tempting people to switch from Cubase, Live, Protools, Reaper, Logic or even for Linux Users to pay for software. WHAT PAY FOR SOFTWARE!

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:35 am

First step is obviously to start a forum where people can bitch about their product. The rest will follow naturally.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:11 am

I don't think that is fair

littlepig

Post by littlepig » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:23 am

I was in a bar a few nights ago, they had a poster on the wall saying:

'Free beer tomorrow' :lol: