All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137 ... 159  Next
 Post subject: Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta 'soon'...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:35 pm 

Machinesworking wrote:
H20nly wrote:
dnbhallifax wrote:
2 years to build a daw from the ground up with 5 developers

I could be mistaken but I think development was in it's second year, at least, two years ago. The start of this thread was not near the beginning of Bitwig.

Three years is about when they popped into the radar, a little less actually. It wasn't until about a year and a half ago that it was announced as a DAW.
Founded in 2009 according to their web site.

yeah, i'm going to roll with my original guess... at least 4 years. it seems to be closer than the number of jelly beans that you guessed are in the jar.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=116571&hilit=+bitwig

and that's when it was first mentioned on this forum... which means that they probably didn't come up with the idea the day before.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:50 pm 

Fair enough... and again, it certainly could go vaporware (but I personally don't think it will, on that time table that puts them a few million dollars into development... )

I would imagine the first year for them was just speccing the app and then raising money from various investors before building any significant code ...

I think the big mistake they've made so far was by announcing it so prematurely. They should have had a smaller closed beta and only announced that "zey fur int beeta testink" :lol: 6 months before they were ready to launch... That they definitely handled it poorly.
(Although who knows, that may very well be something they've had to do in order to continue raising development money ...)

Either way it will be interesting to see what, if anything develops...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:56 pm 

I'm sure it will be released - no company in the end can trade without a product, development money only goes so far. Hardest job for Bitwig is still to come - that's tempting people to switch from Cubase, Live, Protools, Reaper, Logic or even for Linux Users to pay for software. WHAT PAY FOR SOFTWARE!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:35 am 

First step is obviously to start a forum where people can bitch about their product. The rest will follow naturally.

live 9.1.2, OS mavericks, push, stray's script, MPD32/LD8, stc, access virus kc, and my life is a never ending tub of awesome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:11 am 

I don't think that is fair

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:23 am 

I was in a bar a few nights ago, they had a poster on the wall saying:

'Free beer tomorrow' :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:06 am 

eyeknow wrote:
I don't think that is fair

Fair? What's 'fair'?

live 9.1.2, OS mavericks, push, stray's script, MPD32/LD8, stc, access virus kc, and my life is a never ending tub of awesome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:48 am 

Give 'em credit, they've already announced features for version 2. That's two levels deep vapour. It has me concerned about their long term viability, because by now I would have expected to hear about version 5's feature set.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:52 pm 

SuburbanThug wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOr4Bxk-ctc
Not much to see here but it's the "first track released into the wild using Bitwig Studio beta." So as you can see... it can at least play audio files and warp them :P

I have no issue with using multiple DAWs. It keeps things interesting, breaks me of habits. I'm excited to see what these guys do but it will take a while for the product to mature. It doesn't send midi out??? Seems like a crazy big oversight. Sounds like they're just trying to get this baby out the gate.

Well, that was cool to see Bitwig functioning and doing stuff at least. Like I've said before, I'm excited to see what Bitwig can do and how it'll be. And yeah, they have a long uphill slog to edge out DAW players that have been around for years. However, basically taking ideas from things that other DAWs do well, as well as implementing new and cool features, and putting them into one program, that's no small feat. Even if they did 'steal' some of the larger ideas from other DAWs, that's basically what progress is, is people improving on someone else's ideas. If that wasn't the name of the game, then Ford would still be the world's only car maker.

But yeah, still, it's an uphill battle. And I didn't know about no MIDI out. Seriously? That seems like a big thing, and the way I use some of my VSTs, if I'm understanding what you're saying, that would seriously hamper what I do at some point. Yikes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:51 pm 

CFM wrote:
Hardest job for Bitwig is still to come - that's tempting people to switch from Cubase, Live, Protools, Reaper, Logic...

I never thought of Live as an "either/or" to Sonar, ProTools, Logic or any of those. To me it was always an "and". It seems to me that the competition might be more of FLS, Live, Reason which IMHO are used more to compose in rather than traditional linear, tape recorder styled DAWs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:50 pm 

SpeedKing wrote:
SuburbanThug wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOr4Bxk-ctc
Not much to see here but it's the "first track released into the wild using Bitwig Studio beta." So as you can see... it can at least play audio files and warp them :P

I have no issue with using multiple DAWs. It keeps things interesting, breaks me of habits. I'm excited to see what these guys do but it will take a while for the product to mature. It doesn't send midi out??? Seems like a crazy big oversight. Sounds like they're just trying to get this baby out the gate.

Well, that was cool to see Bitwig functioning and doing stuff at least. Like I've said before, I'm excited to see what Bitwig can do and how it'll be. And yeah, they have a long uphill slog to edge out DAW players that have been around for years. However, basically taking ideas from things that other DAWs do well, as well as implementing new and cool features, and putting them into one program, that's no small feat. Even if they did 'steal' some of the larger ideas from other DAWs, that's basically what progress is, is people improving on someone else's ideas. If that wasn't the name of the game, then Ford would still be the world's only car maker.

But yeah, still, it's an uphill battle. And I didn't know about no MIDI out. Seriously? That seems like a big thing, and the way I use some of my VSTs, if I'm understanding what you're saying, that would seriously hamper what I do at some point. Yikes.

The midi out thing was in reference to external instruments but now that I think about it there has to be some kind of workaround anyway. They aren't going to support Rewire but are using an alternative called Jack or something to that effect. It sounds like however you like to use your plugins you'll be able to use Jack for it. Maybe with Jack you can figure a workaround for controlling hardware? Seems likely...

I also see this program as an "and." Just as I will probably be using Logic for mixdown in the future I'm looking at Bitwig as kind of an alternative to Reason since the modular system looks like it will be a creative and easy way to work. I'll probably keep using Reason though too. And I can't see not using Live for a lot of things but, he, I could be wrong. Maybe this first release will be all enveloping for my workflow and I'll never leave it's sweet embrace. Doubt it!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:02 pm 

SuburbanThug wrote:
The midi out thing was in reference to external instruments but now that I think about it there has to be some kind of workaround anyway. They aren't going to support Rewire but are using an alternative called Jack or something to that effect.

Jesus man, read up. 8O Jack is what ReWire dreams of becoming when it grows up. And then it breaks down in tears when it realizes it never will.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jack+audio&l=1

Midi and Audio routing every which way. Every which way.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:38 pm 

Yeaaah ... Jack enthusiasts always overlook a little something.

Quote:
Add the following information to the 'Target' property: "C:\Program Files\Jack\jackd.exe" -R -S -d portaudio -d "ASIO::ASIO4ALL v2" [This configures Jack to use the ASIO4ALL v2 driver, if you have another ASIO device then configure the 'Target' property with that device name. For a list of all the audio devices on your system that Jack can connect to, open a Command Prompt, change directory to the Jack folder (i.e. cd "c:\Program Files (x86)\Jack\") then run this command: jackd -d portaudio -l (that's an 'ell' for List, not a 'one') , this will present you with the list of supported devices.]

The Jack v 1.9.8/64bits/JackRouter.dll still has to be registered "manually" with regsvr32 - so please try the following command to register the 64-bit JackRouter:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Jack v1.9.8\64bits\JackRouter.dll"

the only real operating system is the one you compiled yourself, right?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:01 pm 

wasoota wrote:
SuburbanThug wrote:
The midi out thing was in reference to external instruments but now that I think about it there has to be some kind of workaround anyway. They aren't going to support Rewire but are using an alternative called Jack or something to that effect.

Jesus man, read up. 8O Jack is what ReWire dreams of becoming when it grows up. And then it breaks down in tears when it realizes it never will.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jack+audio&l=1

Midi and Audio routing every which way. Every which way.

Jack doesn't support two-way transport synchronization which is an essential feature of ReWire.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:00 pm 

Damn, Wasoota. You just got told. :lol: Just kidding. I only really stay informed on what is essential to what I'm doing or want to do at the moment. I'm sure I'll get a little nerdier in the future since I just quit smoking tons of high quality marijuana a few months ago. It's been an enlightening few months as far as learning more about DAWs and gear in general. Just started learning how to use VFX to use Windows plugins on my Mac. One day at a time, one day at a time...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137 ... 159  Next