All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138 ... 159  Next
 Post subject: Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta 'soon'...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:13 pm 

SuburbanThug wrote:
Damn, Wasoota. You just got told. :lol: Just kidding. I only really stay informed on what is essential to what I'm doing or want to do at the moment. I'm sure I'll get a little nerdier in the future since I just quit smoking tons of high quality marijuana a few months ago. It's been an enlightening few months as far as learning more about DAWs and gear in general. Just started learning how to use VFX to use Windows plugins on my Mac. One day at a time, one day at a time...

lol, well we all get what we need. I have no use for two way synchro, but I do 'need' all the wild routing I can get. ReWire feels like a glorified line-in to me, albeit synchronized. :D

For what it's worth, Angstrom's install quote is obsolete, the Jack page unfortunately hasn't been updated to reflect current procedure. As per Jack 1.9.9 all you need to do is unzip it all and set the -S flag in QJackCTL options (no command line). This is from the included readme:

Quote:
start qjackctl.exe and configure it the following way:

- in Setup/Setting, use "jackd -S" at the "Server Path" item. WARNING: on Windows the "-S" parameter is *mandatory* to have the jack server correctly working!!

- in Setup/Setting, use "portaudio" at the "Driver" item

Nothing to compile. But to each his own. The benefits need to be seen to be believed though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:19 pm 

dnbhallifax wrote:
(Although who knows, that may very well be something they've had to do in order to continue raising development money ...)

This was exactly the reason they gave at NAMM for the early announcement.

Full disclosure, I'm getting my info second hand, but I have no reason to doubt the person telling me what they discussed with BitWig.

Post subject: Venegence samples..
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:25 pm 

any body using Venegence samples... what do you think??

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:04 am 

wasoota wrote:
Jack is what ReWire dreams of becoming when it grows up. And then it breaks down in tears when it realizes it never will.

:roll:

of course I can setup a rewire connection with a few mouse clicks, don't get me started on jack Jack.

Here's not saying that one is better than the other, but there is something to be said for a new product which has yet to prove itself to abide by well known standards AS WELL as introduce new ones.

To me, but I'm uberly sceptical now (this is not a troll, but fanboyism speaking:) I get the feeling the group which left had some Ableton experience yet didn't have anything on Rewire. From a programmer perspective (seriously:) adding a 3rd party solution is commonly much easier than applying / abiding-by set out standards on your own.

My 2 cents; I would have been more impressed if Bitwig would have gone head first by both supporting currently accepted standards such as rewire as well as supporting / "introducing" Jack.

Ok, and now for the weekend trolling... Slightly meant serious but with a bite to it..

If jack would really be the next best thing I would have expected the Propellerheads to have picked this up already by now. In some ways those guys tend to set out a standard in my opinion.

<lame joke>
Then again, who needs bitwig by now? As someone else already mentioned; Live now already has theme's which makes it almost look as if it were bitwig :twisted:
</lame joke>
(yes, that was a bit of a troll; With all due respect; if you respond to this I'm afraid the joke is on you).

Peter

Using the Big Trio: Live 9 Suite, Max (for Live) and Reason 6.5.
Blog: SynthFan.info.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:28 am 

Harrison Mixbus supports jack with no issues whatsoever. Transport Sync is in Jack for Linux, I've never bothered to check in windows. Jack is tried and true technology under Linux, I'm frankly amazed we're even having this argument.

If you want to have a cross-plattform DAW you need to use cross-plattform tools. ReWire is not cross-platform, and that's not Bitwig's fault.

The bottom line is if you don't need to route audio or midi between programs you don't need jack, just use your regular drivers.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:46 am 

I didn't know that Jack provides some basic transport control. But from what I read it seems to require special support from the connected apps which is currently not implemented in any conventional DAW like Live, Logic, Cubase etc.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:25 pm 

Angstrom wrote:
Yeaaah ... Jack enthusiasts always overlook a little something.

Quote:
Add the following information to the 'Target' property: "C:\Program Files\Jack\jackd.exe" -R -S -d portaudio -d "ASIO::ASIO4ALL v2" [This configures Jack to use the ASIO4ALL v2 driver, if you have another ASIO device then configure the 'Target' property with that device name. For a list of all the audio devices on your system that Jack can connect to, open a Command Prompt, change directory to the Jack folder (i.e. cd "c:\Program Files (x86)\Jack\") then run this command: jackd -d portaudio -l (that's an 'ell' for List, not a 'one') , this will present you with the list of supported devices.]

The Jack v 1.9.8/64bits/JackRouter.dll still has to be registered "manually" with regsvr32 - so please try the following command to register the 64-bit JackRouter:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Jack v1.9.8\64bits\JackRouter.dll"

the only real operating system is the one you compiled yourself, right?

oof. :| i would certainly hope they've come up with something a little more user friendly. manually registering .dll files and the like isn't exactly super user stuff, but it's more than one should have to do to make a piece of software released... we'll just say after 2010 to be fair... work with what is essentially old hat IMHO (i'm glancing at Rewire features).

i wonder what you'd have to do to get this up and running on a Mac???

i'll raise a toast to full installation installers... any thing less is uncivilized.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:14 pm 

H20nly wrote:

Jack OSX comes with a standard installer. Works perfectly.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:34 am 

that's good to hear. the method quoted in Angstrom's post is horrible. the only [totally bogus] thing left to do there was change the registry manually. :P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:37 am 

broc wrote:
H20nly wrote:

Jack OSX comes with a standard installer. Works perfectly.

So does windows. As I said, Angstrom's quote is from an obsolete how-to page that hasn't been changed for two versions. None of what he quoted needs to be done anymore.

What Angstrom quoted is no longer the way you install Jack under Windows. Now you just run an installer.

If you're having issues, check the Jack folder permissions. Everything should be allowed for everybody. Windows' UAC can break things but that's an issue with any install you do and has nothing to do with Jack specifically.

Jack 1.9.9 is for win64 and x86 OS, but runs 32bit applications only. A 64bit version is apparently in testing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:28 am 

15 months of beta testing.....i think this Bitwig Studio is just a big laugh. Stay with Ableton 9 ;-)

MacBookPro 15" MacMini I5, Ableton Suite 9 64/32 Bit, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC20, Audio 2 DJ, Samsung 27", KrK Rockit 5, KrK Headphones, Kontrol S4, Ipad 2 TouchAble, TouchOSC, LoopTastic & Studio HD

http://soundcloud.com/djanciano

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:32 am 

And they don't like cats! 8O

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:59 am 

eyeknow wrote:

Ummm, my bitwig cat thread at KVR begs to differ, though some fans of the vaporware that is Bitwig are annoyed that in between talking about the not yet released DAW we post cats.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:09 am 

"InfoWorld magazine wrote that the word is overused, and places an unfair stigma on developers."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:13 am 

eyeknow wrote:

OH HELL NO!
IT IS ON NOW!
I would die before supporting a company that does not bow down to their superior feline gods.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138 ... 159  Next