finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta 'soon'...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eyeknow

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta 'soon'...

Post by eyeknow » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:46 am

I can remember hoping for cpu efficiency, about 20 months ago! :lol:

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:48 am

H20nly wrote::idea: ah!!!

no experience with Studio One... but... FL Studio runs extremely light. so, i can get why you would go there... it's all MIDI and/or sample reference pointers though so it doesn't warp audio and requires that horrible fuckin Edison to record and manipulate it. the load times on FL Studio are unbelievable though... lightning. i've actually posted that more than once on this forum praising it through the years, but it's no Live or live performance tool.

so, yeah... it would be cool if Bitwig would do that... but i'd wager it will be more like Live or Cubase or any other DAW that is more feature rich... assuming that it ever gets released. :twisted:
FL Studio -Lifetime Free Updates

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:05 am

Yep... and that carried over to the MAC beta that they just released too.

Cross platform free updates. 8)

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:39 am

William wrote:If Bitwig offers stability and efficient cpu usage I'll be interested. I've got a beast of a pc and Ableton still starts to crap out with a low number of VST instruments.
Everyone on here is always talking about Live "crapping out" and snap, crackling and popping among a million other CPU related issues. I must say that since version 7 and right on through to 9, I have yet to experience ANY of these major issues that everyone moans about around here.
I've had a crash or two here and there and perhaps the odd hiccup but it was never a major issue.

I also run pretty CPU intensive sets containing a shit ton of 3rd party VST's, sample libraries, tracks, etc.

Live is my go to because it works great for me. The worse thing thats happened lately is the browser might hang for a few extra seconds.

IDK, maybe I'm just lucky. I run Live 9, Traktor, Maschine and an un-holy amount of VST synths and effects on a late 2011 MAcbook Pro 15 inch- intel 17 w/ 8 gb. of RAM.

That said, if Bitwig is EVER released, I definitely will not be adopting early. In fact, unless there is some ground-breaking, magical feature, I probably won't be adopting ever.

Long Live LIVE !!! :)

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:56 am

Different strokes I guess.... If I like it and the price is right then I'm in. And if the upgrade price is reasonable then I'll stay. And none of that has anything to do with my Live license. I honestly don't understand the either/or attitude in some of the posts.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:51 pm

Theo Void wrote:
IDK, maybe I'm just lucky. I run Live 9, Traktor, Maschine and an un-holy amount of VST synths and effects on a late 2011 MAcbook Pro 15 inch- intel 17 w/ 8 gb. of RAM.
You are just lucky. I never had issues before, but with Live 9 I have issues. My system is way more powerful than yours. Live 8 doesn't stutter, Live 9 does . The bug is fully reported and tracked.

Live 8 still works perfectly.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:00 pm

EDIT (wrong thread) Need more coffee :)

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:13 pm

Angstrom wrote:
Theo Void wrote:
You are just lucky. I never had issues before, but with Live 9 I have issues. My system is way more powerful than yours. Live 8 doesn't stutter, Live 9 does . The bug is fully reported and tracked.

Live 8 still works perfectly.
I guess I am just lucky. I have NEVER had the problems that I see posted here day in and day out. Like I said, maybe a random crash here or there and lately the browser hangs a bit but usually only right after start-up. I figured it just takes awhile to index each time the program is started.

I definitely push it too. I'm not a lite user, at all. Lots of processing going on in my sets.
I am really liking Live 9. I recently got a PUSH so that definitely raised my enjoyment level a bit.

I'm still REALLY looking forward to the update though. Especially the PUSH updates. Can't wait! I wonder when that is actually going to drop.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:14 pm

They should call it "Beta-wig." Because that's ALL it's ever been. lol

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:19 pm

Theo Void wrote:They should call it "Beta-wig." Because that's ALL it's ever been. lol

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:56 pm

garyboozy wrote:
Theo Void wrote:They should call it "Beta-wig." Because that's ALL it's ever been. lol
I lol'd. ..............true

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:34 pm

eyeknow wrote:-there is no guarantee that it really does anything better than live*

*I have a hard time telling through the CJ what is ACTUALLY happening that is so different.
Watching the recent Bitwig videos, I definitely get the vibe it does some things remarkably better than Live. For me, personally, the question is "will it do something relevant significantly worse?" Live is my go-to environment for sound design oriented work, with racks and layering signal chains and so forth. Those aspects in Live are brilliant.

Still, if there are no major low points in Bitwig, in this regard, it's very probable I'm going to switch -- at least for my more experimental/electronic/sound design material, that is. It seems so evident Bitwig absolutely nails some core things right, things that have been underdeveloped in Live for years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBU_IDrSgEE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BspO9Dimp14

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:03 pm

Nokatus wrote: For me, personally, the question is "will it do something relevant significantly worse?" Live is my go-to environment for sound design oriented work, with racks and layering signal chains and so forth. Those aspects in Live are brilliant.
i think this is something that most folks with high hopes are failing to consider... we get so caught up in 'new feature X' or 'finally feature Y' that we forget to consider the things we have and that we stand to lose. As much as some of us want Bitwig to be the anti-Live... in order for those guys to do that, they have to create a different DAW. it can't be Live+ they surely won't be stealing every good idea from Live and implementing it just the way YOU want (where YOU is every different user with the plethora of different ways they use Live).

the grass may be greener on the other side, but how is the soil? how are the rocks? is there a creek? what about trees?

deva

Post by deva » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:18 pm

H20nly wrote:
Nokatus wrote: For me, personally, the question is "will it do something relevant significantly worse?" Live is my go-to environment for sound design oriented work, with racks and layering signal chains and so forth. Those aspects in Live are brilliant.
i think this is something that most folks with high hopes are failing to consider... we get so caught up in 'new feature X' or 'finally feature Y' that we forget to consider the things we have and that we stand to lose. As much as some of us want Bitwig to be the anti-Live... in order for those guys to do that, they have to create a different DAW. it can't be Live+ they surely won't be stealing every good idea from Live and implementing it just the way YOU want (where YOU is every different user with the plethora of different ways they use Live).

the grass may be greener on the other side, but how is the soil? how are the rocks? is there a creek? what about trees?
Those are good questions... so what isn't there in Bitwig that you might want?

no video capability at all is one thing... what else?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:21 pm

AU support.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com