finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta 'soon'...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eyeknow

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta 'soon'...

Post by eyeknow » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:54 pm

Well, cubase doesn't have that either iirc.

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:40 pm

It's missing a release date.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:12 pm

I got all my DAW oriented work covered w/ Live. I have been using my Maschine more and more and so I think I may grab that Maschine Studio before I'd get Bitwig!

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:15 pm

beatz01 wrote:It's missing a release date.
lol. That's f'n hilarious...........and so true!!!!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:39 pm

What about compatibility with things like Push and other controllers?

I am sure it will handle many controllers but I am quite supprised by the number of people saying they will make the switch on software that only has a few videos available. i like a lot of things about it (as with Live) but I have invested a lot of cash and time in Live Suit and Push and I couldn't even think of just switching in the hope it will make a few things better.

I am sure there will be all the same kinds of bugs and issues that plauge any DAW when it gets in the hands of the masses but if they make it super price attractive then I would check it out for sure.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:15 pm

There was I think a video somewhere that used push with bitwig. Can't remember if it was anything significant.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:20 pm

jestermgee wrote:I am sure it will handle many controllers but I am quite supprised by the number of people saying they will make the switch on software that only has a few videos available. i like a lot of things about it (as with Live) but I have invested a lot of cash and time in Live Suit and Push and I couldn't even think of just switching in the hope it will make a few things better.
As for me, having used different forms of music software for almost 20 years now :) (also taught the craft), I have a sort of intuitive feel for certain things when observing a tool like this. Watching stuff like MIDI editing and modulation in those videos, at this point, I just get the vibe there's a lot of stuff being done right in this one. So yeah, it's more like a personal impression, a reading between the lines kind of thing. Take it with a grain of salt. It remains to be seen if it's really that nice to use -- and more critically, what are the possible downsides.

I've used Live since 2004, or something like that, so it's obvious I have a backlog of all kinds of custom racks and projects and drafts (and so on) in my library. However, I have always used "only" keyboard controllers, no Push here. There are no hardware dependencies to hold me back workflow-wise if I decide to switch.

The process of broadening my options started a good while ago, though, and Live 9 was the final triggering thing for me. I became disillusioned with the direction of this software, as much as I still depend on it for particular uses. During the years, Live has given me so much in the creative department it's unreal, and it feels bad being so critical of it right now. I just had to face certain things, like okay, this MIDI editing really is absolute SHIT. Single core rendering (try that in a hurry when a seven minute track with some modest offline oversampling renders for over half a fucking hour). PDC flakiness. All of this is something one can get by with, often even brush it aside, but it really starts to grate in 2013.

I'm nowadays using Studio One for all "traditional" linear MIDI/audio composition commissions, and Live is the one where the wacky techy creative mad scientist stuff happens. Looking forward to BitWig's potential in that. And here's to hoping Live 10 comes in with a bang, too. Would be magnificent to see a serious comeback.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:46 pm

eyeknow wrote:There was I think a video somewhere that used push with bitwig. Can't remember if it was anything significant.
uh huh.

therein lies the problem.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:54 pm

You can use any midi controller, they said you can make scripts using javascript. It's the same idea as using python to access the Live api for custom scripts. So Push's user mode is probably what they used. I'm curious to how much of the API users have access to.

Also I don't really see why veteran programmers starting their own company to program a better Live would go through all of that trouble to make a lame POS DAW, it doesn't make sense, to any doubters out there. I don't think it'll be a holy grail and am prepared for some kind of big catch compared to something you could do with Live, but given the elements, I don't see why it would be unsuccessful. If they need to take longer to have a better release, then so be it.
ImageImage

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:07 am

shadx312 wrote:I don't think it'll be a holy grail and am prepared for some kind of big catch compared to something you could do with Live, but given the elements, I don't see why it would be unsuccessful. If they need to take longer to have a better release, then so be it.
Yep. And a strong first release is what they essentially need, it's not optional.

That's related to one of my main concerns, apart from the actual software features. Ableton has all kinds of partnerships and a hardware tie-in business model, Presonus is mainly a hardware company, as are Yamaha (Cubase), Apple (Logic), Roland (Sonar) and so on. Currently Bitwig is... just Bitwig. There are other mainly software oriented ones out there (and Live started out as one, strongly), but there's no room for "fix it in a later version" with this one. If it's going to be flaky, at all, it will be challenging to get anyone to switch from an established environment to something with an uncertain future.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:21 am

Live was a huge paradigm shift for DAWs, but DAWs in general were just being born when they started.
In regards to the "copying Live" thing, it was only a matter of time a "session view" was going to be made, just out of finding ingenuity to break out of the traditional linear timeline. I don't remember so much criticism when Acid, Sonar, Logic, etc were called Pro Tools copycats because they used a linear timeline. You could say there's outright blatant "how are they not infringing some sort of trademark?" but there hasn't been any news regarding that. I just see Bitwig as a natural progression from Live. Live is the grandaddy of session view/midi-control live playing, but there's no way new software isn't going to be made to progress from it. Having session/arrangement in one view, layered midi editing, multi-clip editing, these are all no-brainers. So it seems to me that Bitwig would be the "rising son", if it wasn't there would be another one like it not far from now. And you can't say 10, 20, 100 years from now that there's been no progression with daws/controllerism and all that. Live has it's place in history as starting a new way of doing things, but it can't be the best forever. Generations, brah, c'est le vie
ImageImage

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:29 am

shadx312 wrote:Live was a huge paradigm shift for DAWs, but DAWs in general were just being born when they started.
In regards to the "copying Live" thing, it was only a matter of time a "session view" was going to be made, just out of finding ingenuity to break out of the traditional linear timeline. I don't remember so much criticism when Acid, Sonar, Logic, etc were called Pro Tools copycats because they used a linear timeline. You could say there's outright blatant "how are they not infringing some sort of trademark?" but there hasn't been any news regarding that. I just see Bitwig as a natural progression from Live. Live is the grandaddy of session view/midi-control live playing, but there's no way new software isn't going to be made to progress from it. Having session/arrangement in one view, layered midi editing, multi-clip editing, these are all no-brainers. So it seems to me that Bitwig would be the "rising son", if it wasn't there would be another one like it not far from now. And you can't say 10, 20, 100 years from now that there's been no progression with daws/controllerism and all that. Live has it's place in history as starting a new way of doing things, but it can't be the best forever. Generations, brah, c'est le vie
In the 154 pages, I find this to be the most mature comment in this thread.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:20 am

Someone had to play the "mature" card :roll:

:lol: (come on man!!!!!!!!!!!)

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:28 am

xxx
Last edited by Sibanger on Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:30 am

eyeknow wrote:Someone had to play the "mature" card :roll:

:lol: (come on man!!!!!!!!!!!)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Still. it is a very mature perspective :mrgreen: