finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta 'soon'...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ze2be

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta soon...

Post by ze2be » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:00 pm

Tympanic wrote:I don´t get why ppl always think feature oriented.
Creativity and Inspiration is all about workflow.
One does not need features over features.
And, to be honest, Bitwig seems to provide
several great new ideas and implementations
to give new Inspiration and therefore
brings new Creativity and henceforth new sound.
And that is all that counts. Simple.
Shure. No doubt, record automation to clips in session will be a huge workflow gainer.
As well as being able to see track volumes and horisontal session when in arrange.

When I say ShitWig, its more like: Da'Shit! :wink:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:18 pm

the irony of this thread is that the people giving the most praise to the idea that is BitWig will also be the most pissed off if x, y, z thing is not implemented just so or has a bug in it that affects them specifically.

i wonder if the flaming rage at that point is directly proportionate to the window shopping doe eyed promise praising at this one??

headquest

Post by headquest » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:06 pm

H20nly wrote:the irony of this thread is that the people giving the most praise to the idea that is BitWig will also be the most pissed off if x, y, z thing is not implemented just so or has a bug in it that affects them specifically.

i wonder if the flaming rage at that point is directly proportionate to the window shopping doe eyed promise praising at this one??
Indeed, haha :lol:
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:32 pm

"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:27 pm

3dot... wrote:Image

and is built in... now thats nice... :)

milfhuntr

Post by milfhuntr » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:21 pm

I wish someone would come out with something new. I mean, you have Akai making a new MPC Renaissance that is worse than products from the 90's. And you have Bitwig (a horrid name to say and even think about) inventing something that was invented years ago.

We need a new paradigm.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:39 pm

Why?

It's almost like a band playing instruments without a computer is the new paradigm.
ImageImage

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:51 pm

shadx312 wrote:Why?

It's almost like a band playing instruments without a computer is the new paradigm.
I kind of agree. I'm not sure we "need" or want a new paradigm, personally I just want the Live way of working to work even better. To me it's similar to Laptops taking over in electronic music. All the sudden everybody got on board and ditched analogue gear, when analogue gear was really becoming amazing. Companies jumped on the bandwagon and great ideas were forgotten about for a while, now they are coming back. I see no reason to ditch the great idea that is Live, whether or not another company is trying to improve on it.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:56 pm

We don't "need" a new paradigm. Fine if someone wants one, but that isn't about making music. If you need a computer to make music, that's a "special needs" issue.
This isn't focused on you, Milfhunter, just in general.

Is using wireless devices as controllers out of fashion already? Man, time flies. Or how about something like the Jasuto app...too easy to make a song with?

If you need a new paradigm, come up with one then.
ImageImage

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:36 pm

Whining about the lack of a new paradigm seems weirdly out of touch with reality to me. We live in an age in which Music Technology is flourishing. The availability and affordability of high-end music-creation gear is absolutely mind-blowing. Fifteen years ago they had no idea how good we were going to have it. Entire recording studios sitting in front of our faces, in our bedrooms. If we are anything, we are spoiled beyond belief.

But yeah, whine about how nobody is making good enough stuff with cool enough ideas...
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:40 pm

theres the gameboy music maker, thats new

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:42 pm

I agree with JuanSOLO here, but I take it in kind of a different direction. I love the "studio built out of an elaborate looper" concept from Live, and I love the flexibility offered by running it on a laptop, where I can easily get new sounds in and out, and edit sounds with other software if I need to. And if I want a certain feature, I can get a plugin! This rocks.

But man, having to compete with other programs for resources sucks. We have to deal with variable buffer sizes and latency since we're using generic connection methods (USB and Firewire) to conenct audio interfaces. I have to worry about whether some piece of software I didn't think of is going to hose my next performance after I update it.

How badass would it be if we could get something with the interface and flexibility of something like Live on a laptop but with the kind of low-latency stability we're used to from dedicated hardware boxes? I'd ditch my laptop for that right quick.

We don't strictly need a new paradigm, but new options for tools open up new ways of working. I don't want one new paradigm for everyone, I want a bunch of new paradigms that everyone is trying out, to see what works.

This is kind of why I'm interested in Bitwig Studio despite being hugely invested in Live. Same basic concept, but new ideas, new subtleties, new things I wouldn't have thought of trying with my current setup. Exciting times.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:46 pm

milfhuntr wrote:

I wish someone would come out with something new. I mean, you have Akai making a new MPC Renaissance that is worse than products from the 90's. And you have Bitwig (a horrid name to say and even think about) inventing something that was invented years ago.

We need a new paradigm.
How long have pianos been around. Orchestras? Guitars? Grid based loop matrix sequencers? I think this last one still has some life in it yet. Come to think of it, so do the other ones. But hey if you are into cutting edge stuff, there's just too much going on in ipad land to even keep up with...
Professional Shark Jumper.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:36 pm

milfhuntr wrote:

We need a new paradigm.
have YOU tried any new paradigms? have you gotten into max4Live? ever build with an arduino board? ever try to play guitar or piano? have you tried ALL the available DAWs?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz