Drum help? Should i get a machine?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Staiolz

Drum help? Should i get a machine?

Post by Staiolz » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:48 pm

Lately, Its been hard for me to find the perfect solution for creating my bass-lines or "beats," for my music. It sometime frustrates me using impulse and Reason's ReDrum. I was wondering if there is a cheap and good drum sampler or groove system, that i could use. Another things, I have really no idea how analog works with computers. If someone could help me out in that department. I have an idea of how it works? But, would it involve pro-tools? Any answers would be appreciated. I looked at the battery solution, and I do like it. I haven't tried the Real Version out yet with all the samples, but for some reason I feel like I'd have a much better experience with something a bit more hands on.
Powerbook Ti 1ghz, Evo MK-425C, Live 4 baby, and Evo X-Session, oh yeah.. and this thing called a Dual 2ghz G5. :)

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:37 am

Not a sampler, but I loves myself some Microtonic!
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:04 am

a buddy of mine LOVES his Electribe ESX1.
like me he used to own an ES-1 and he says this one is much better. i listened to some grooves he made with it and that tube goes a long way. plus its a sampler so you have endless possibilities when it comes to sound sources.

this would be a hardware solution, not software.

they run about $499 USD.

i want one!

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:10 am

Redrum is shit I do not even touch. NNXT with Reason Drum Refill , since you have Reason anyway , is fantastic. hook NNXt directly to Live and apply compression and whatever as you like, you wont need anything else for real drums. For electronic there is something I tried once that sounded really good, I think is for free and someone here recommended it, do search or perhaps someone else will tell you. Other option would be getting MPC.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:16 am

Hardware-wise a cheap, cheerful and pretty damn good option is a used Electribe ER-1, you can probably find one for $100 or so and can get a lot more out of it than you'd think.

minimal

Post by minimal » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:38 am

yeah, electribes are very funny to play with, and slaving live to a electribe works great.
the ones with tubes look intersting!

deepdirtydub

ESX is almost as good as SEX

Post by deepdirtydub » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:09 am

i must say i own and use an Electribe ESX and its Quite the little box of terror if you want it to be. on its own its a terror but if you combine its midi capabilities with Live it can quickly become an extremely useful tool. Not to mention the fact that its output runs thru 2 12ax7 tubes for some serious gain!!!

i definitely recommend checking them out. especially since the price just dropped.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:25 am

I just sold my ES1 and I actually regret it. Fun little box that was.

Oh well. I'll get one from eBay once I get some money.

-Paws

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:25 pm

I'd rather buy an old electribe with a heap of s/h guitar pedals...

Milkmansound

Post by Milkmansound » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:57 am

those tubes are kind of a crock - notice the little LED's behind them.

other than that the ESX seems pretty cool. I have little experience with it, but I like the way the sequencer is laid out. Real easy to program on the fly. I have only played with one in the music store, and need to return for some more.

sqook

Post by sqook » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:40 am

I've been quite happy using samples and plugging them into a machine like live's impulse. It also helps to layer one's kicks to give the beat more presence.