Parametric EQ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
HorusProject

Re: Parametric EQ?

Post by HorusProject » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:37 pm

littlejim84 wrote:extremely transparent ...
@3dot

I think he means that it doesnt colour the sound like some equalizers
Kaon Flux

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:18 pm

ok... :wink:

gromgrom

Post by gromgrom » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:39 pm

eflatt wrote:
littlejim84 wrote:I find the EQ8 to be very useful, but the fact the spectrum analyser is separate and the display is a little small, I find FabFilter's Pro-Q to be excellent. In fact, I reckon it's one of the best. Check that as a fantastic "upgrade" to Live's EQ8.

But I do agree with others, EQ takes ages to learn and I'm far from mastery myself. But if you feel you want some more space and more bands to play with, I wholeheartedly recommend FabFilter Pro-Q.
I agree..Pro-Q is extremely transparent and precise. The changes are very audible. I think this is more suitable for use on the Master Bus when mixing or in Mastering.
Why would you want to EQ the master? Are you a mastering engineer? Otherwise getting good EQ in the mix is probably a better idea ;)

eflatt

Post by eflatt » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:04 pm

HorusProject wrote:
@3dot

3dot... knows exactly what I mean...in other words he would have preferred if I had said instead that the EQ is "Linear"
One good thing about music...when it hits..you feel no pain..[-Bob Marley....."Trench Town Rock"}

eflatt

Post by eflatt » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:09 pm

gromgrom wrote:
eflatt wrote:
littlejim84 wrote:I find the EQ8 to be very useful, but the fact the spectrum analyser is separate and the display is a little small, I find FabFilter's Pro-Q to be excellent. In fact, I reckon it's one of the best. Check that as a fantastic "upgrade" to Live's EQ8.

But I do agree with others, EQ takes ages to learn and I'm far from mastery myself. But if you feel you want some more space and more bands to play with, I wholeheartedly recommend FabFilter Pro-Q.
I agree..Pro-Q is extremely transparent and precise. The changes are very audible. I think this is more suitable for use on the Master Bus when mixing or in Mastering.
Why would you want to EQ the master? Are you a mastering engineer? Otherwise getting good EQ in the mix is probably a better idea ;)
Because at the mastering stage you might want to change a wider band of the spectrum at any given instance to affect the balance. At the mastering stage you might also need a linear phase EQ to remove or reduce any obtrusive frequencies. At this stage you dont want any changes to color the sound, you just want to zero in on the problem with minimal side effects.
I will agree with the argument that all of this should be done while mixing, however I can see no problem with it being used while mastering especially due to the fact that more often than not the ME has access to better equipment for doing this.
One good thing about music...when it hits..you feel no pain..[-Bob Marley....."Trench Town Rock"}

Palmer Eldritch

Post by Palmer Eldritch » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:21 pm

eflatt wrote:...that the EQ is "Linear"
Recently I saved a eq8 preset where all gains are left to zero.
This preset did not color the sound, is extremely transparent and totally linear.
I named it placeboEQ. :wink:
Live 8_3_4 + 4b7_32+64 -Suite- Max4Live 5_1_9 _ core2DuoMacBook 2*2,16 Ghz + external FW HD _ OSX 10.6.8 _ 3G RAM _ M.H. MIO 2882 + 5.4d208 Driver _ Faderfox LV1 _ Akai MPK25 _ Logitec wheel mouse _______ PeacE will be the SOLution of LIVE

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:27 pm

eflatt wrote:
HorusProject wrote:
@3dot

3dot... knows exactly what I mean...in other words he would have preferred if I had said instead that the EQ is "Linear"
just joking around dude.
... yes. I meant a "linear phase " eq.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:29 pm

Palmer Eldritch wrote:
This preset did not color the sound, is extremely transparent and totally linear.
very zen...

btw..it can't be a placebo if it's named like that...

Palmer Eldritch

Post by Palmer Eldritch » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:39 pm

3dot... wrote:
Palmer Eldritch wrote:
very zen...

btw..it can't be a placebo if it's named like that...
F..., you are right. 8O

I will change the name immediately to "improve everything" :D
Live 8_3_4 + 4b7_32+64 -Suite- Max4Live 5_1_9 _ core2DuoMacBook 2*2,16 Ghz + external FW HD _ OSX 10.6.8 _ 3G RAM _ M.H. MIO 2882 + 5.4d208 Driver _ Faderfox LV1 _ Akai MPK25 _ Logitec wheel mouse _______ PeacE will be the SOLution of LIVE

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:40 pm

eflatt wrote:
HorusProject wrote:
@3dot

to be precise, linear phase EQ is not necessarily "transparent" though. it introduces different artifacts compared to minimum phase EQ.

Samaritan Sound

Post by Samaritan Sound » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:16 am

Don't know about others, but the Waves Linear Phase EQ delays the signal slightly, so not really something to use while mixing or in a live session.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:46 am

Samaritan Sound wrote:Don't know about others, but the Waves Linear Phase EQ delays the signal slightly, so not really something to use while mixing or in a live session.
added latency is an unavoidable with linear phase EQ...

eflatt

Post by eflatt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:11 pm

Palmer Eldritch wrote:
I would expect a comment like that from someone who has placebo ears..reminds me of a friend I have called "Tonedeft". Probably couldn't even tell if there is any sound present or not. Pshaw..placebo ears :mrgreen: