For some reason, the very first kick is different?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stromkraft

Re: For some reason, the very first kick is different?

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:36 am

I used to get this click problem with frozen instruments, but haven't really for some years, except for when there is automation at the end, not matching the start. This applies also to internal instrument modulation envelopes and note start. I'd look at that first for MIDI tracks.

Audio tracks can also have modulation applied and could be involved in clicks.
Make some music!

particle

Post by particle » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:45 am

i am having this same problem. its not the damn fades people. i have been using ableton since version 4 and this is the first time i am experiencing this.. worth noting that this is also the first PC laptop in a decade that i have used for ableton, but its a razer blade, and top of the line, so wtf? i think it is a buffering issue based on the vauge little bits of wisdom i can find on this issue. allegeldy the resolve is to have all your libraries and cache on an external hardrive that is 7500 or faster, and only boot your software from your laptop internal hard drive. fucking bullshit man.

mikb

Post by mikb » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:36 pm

particle wrote:…allegeldy the resolve is to have all your libraries and cache on an external hardrive that is 7500 or faster, and only boot your software from your laptop internal hard drive. fucking bullshit man.
Hard drive? You mean to say you're not using SSDs? I picked up a 512GB for about $150 the other day and it's 500 megabyte per second speeds both ways. Your 7,500 rpm, or a 15,000 rpm, both would have nothing on that.
Basic gear info: Macbook Pro with macOS 10.12, Ableton Live Suite version 9 (64bit) with Ozone, Push and APC20 as controllers.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:35 pm

particle wrote: i think it is a buffering issue based on the vauge little bits of wisdom i can find on this issue. allegeldy the resolve is to have all your libraries and cache on an external hardrive that is 7500 or faster, and only boot your software from your laptop internal hard drive. fucking bullshit man.
Have you verified this issue doesn't happen with the same set on a different machine? If it does happen all that wisdom you refer to is misguiding. If not you're on to something.
Make some music!

Warmonger

Post by Warmonger » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:33 pm

This might be related or not, but when rendering, first ~100 miliseconds are cut from the file. Which means first kick loses its transient.

I worked around this problem by adding whole empty phrase at the beginning, but it should be fixed by devs.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:37 pm

Warmonger wrote:This might be related or not, but when rendering, first ~100 miliseconds are cut from the file. Which means first kick loses its transient.

I worked around this problem by adding whole empty phrase at the beginning, but it should be fixed by devs.
Have you reported this a bug? As this does not happen to me, it never has, I think this may not be a systemic issue, but rather something specific to your set, that you exported from.

Even so, this could be a bug, so it's vital you report this and include a status report ("Get Support" from the help menu in Live and follow instructions).
Make some music!

Bevor

Post by Bevor » Fri May 01, 2020 7:54 pm

I have the same problem in Ableton Live 10 Suite. It does not always appear, so I tried to narrow it down.
It is reproducible when you do the following:
Add some kicks in arrangement view (e.g. 4 kicks one after an other), consolidate them, and have the arrangement loop switcher on top activated. Let it run. This works, no cut off effect. Now hold the header of the kick with left mouse button and press tab to pull it in the first line of the kick column in the session view. Now press play in the line of the kick column. You will hear the first kick cut off. You can get rid of it by either deactivating the arrangement loop switcher on top or on the right side in master column the small button which shows if the arrangement differs from the session. I wonder why this button lights up red, since I didn't change anything. I just pressed play. Nevertheless, when you click on the arrangement button, the cut off effect is also gone. So you have 2 possibilities to get rid of it.
In my opinion, this is a bug. I filed a bug report. Let's see what's happening.