Future NI TRAKTOR going the live way

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

JuanSOLO

Re: Future NI TRAKTOR going the live way

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:50 pm

They are kicking ass with this. Traktor offers SO much more in the ways of MIDI MAPPING controllers. The new controller LED's corresponds with the colors you set for your samples in the sample decks. Imagine an APC40 or launchpad whos buttons match the coloring of your clips in session view. AND thats just a new feature. Traktor has had their midi editor complete with modifiers, led feed back options, various range settings, and types of controls i.e button/direct/fader/encoder.

the APC40 may have been made for Ableton, but it's SO much more fun in Traktor, and there's no need for M4L or Bomes to customize it in amazing ways.

Seriously, I dont think most Ableton users or Ableton themselves realize how much more advanced Traktor has become in this department.

I doubt Bitwig will offer this type of stuff any time soon either.

Big ups to NI for pioneering forward.

hatefish

Post by hatefish » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:48 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:They are kicking ass with this. Traktor offers SO much more in the ways of MIDI MAPPING controllers. The new controller LED's corresponds with the colors you set for your samples in the sample decks. Imagine an APC40 or launchpad whos buttons match the coloring of your clips in session view. AND thats just a new feature. Traktor has had their midi editor complete with modifiers, led feed back options, various range settings, and types of controls i.e button/direct/fader/encoder.

the APC40 may have been made for Ableton, but it's SO much more fun in Traktor, and there's no need for M4L or Bomes to customize it in amazing ways.

Seriously, I dont think most Ableton users or Ableton themselves realize how much more advanced Traktor has become in this department.

I doubt Bitwig will offer this type of stuff any time soon either.

Big ups to NI for pioneering forward.
I dont know traktor but I have the impression that machine was a kind of "warming-up" before an ableton-like DAW.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:54 pm

In the realm of midi mapping Traktor is superior to all, even Maschine.

I guess the jury is still out on whether or not NI will attempt a DAW, I'm still not sure they need too, but it seems all the elements are there, they just need to consolidate them somehow.

Ryanmf

Post by Ryanmf » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:57 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:Traktor is superior to all, even Maschine.
The sandwich I'm eating is roughly equivalent to Maschine in its MIDI mapping capabilities.

I appreciate all the info you posted here and in the Bitwig thread, and I'm stoked about this new controller and hopeful that other apps will handle MIDI more like Traktor as well, but, just sayin.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:03 pm

I bought Maschine and sold it within a month. I never noticed it having 'modfiers' in the midi editing, or an ability to map an encoder and adjust the sensitivity at which it turns. However, Maschines workflow was awesome, but I wanted it to integrate with Live in a way it would not. It has it's qirks, but it's a sure sign that NI is onto something others are not, at least others are not showing it yet.

Funny how bitwig is getting more credit for recording automation to session clips. Even NI is adding features Ableton users are requesting. :lol:

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:31 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:Funny how bitwig is getting more credit for recording automation to session clips. Even NI is adding features Ableton users are requesting. :lol:
Oh snap. Live 9 is just around the corner, if they have to keep up! :lol:

condra

Post by condra » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:06 am

hatefish wrote:
I dont know traktor but I have the impression that machine was a kind of "warming-up" before an ableton-like DAW.
I’ve been a fan of the whole integrated hardware/software combination for some time, for DJ’ing and production, and it’s great to see this paradigm being explored.

Live + APC
Maschine
MPC Studio/Ren

etc..

It’s all hotting up.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:10 am

Ryanmf wrote:The sandwich I'm eating is roughly equivalent to Maschine in its MIDI mapping capabilities.
Maschine's MIDI mapping capabilities are awesome when using it in MIDI mode. The dual displays on the controller that shows you the names and values of devices and parameters directly above and below the knobs and buttons alone makes it an immensely useful MIDI controller. But you're obviously talking about trying to map a MIDI controller to control Maschine's software which offers macros and otherwise very limited in that regard, which is understandable since Maschine's software was designed from the ground up to be used with its dedicated hardware controller. A generic MIDI controller is not going to touch that integration.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:30 am

humnumb wrote:A generic MIDI controller is not going to touch that integration.

Well put. I guess thats whats so intriguing about Traktor, it takes generic controllers and makes them 'seem' integrated, once you learn the ins and outs of the midi editing. I guess you could say my APC40 feels more integrated with Traktor than it does with Ableton, and I'm sure I'd have the same experience if I was mapping my Remote SL61 to Traktor, or a Launchpad, or a Livid instrument etc.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:54 am

Damn. Ableton is getting blitzkrieged from all sides. First with Maschine bringing out clip automation recording among other things, the Bitwig bomb that just dropped, and now this. Interesting to see Traktor entering Live's territory which Maschine is already in, especially given NI has already let open that Maschine and Traktor are "moving closer together".:

Jens @ NI, 7/21/11: "Traktor and Maschine are in the process of moving closer together, but we are not yet at a point to disclose details about the "when" and "how"."
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... stcount=18

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:06 am

totally.

IF, Traktor hosted VST's and allowed for the "Loop Recorder" to send recorded loops to DVS decks, I would probably abandon Live.

Right now I sequence beats on my APC40 with drumRacks, Play synths and record loops to an M4L device that shoots the loops to Ms Pinky for vinyl manipulation. I feel like what I do is kind of rare and not many would find it as interesting as I do, so it's strange to see that someone like NI is close to offering this in an even more integrated, more stable and responsive environment.

I was so excited/curious about bitwig I never expected NI to turn my head their way like this. Truly exciting stuff happening.

Ryanmf

Post by Ryanmf » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:20 am

humnumb wrote:
Ryanmf wrote:The sandwich I'm eating is roughly equivalent to Maschine in its MIDI mapping capabilities.
Maschine's MIDI mapping capabilities are awesome when using it in MIDI mode. The dual displays on the controller that shows you the names and values of devices and parameters directly above and below the knobs and buttons alone makes it an immensely useful MIDI controller. But you're obviously talking about trying to map a MIDI controller to control Maschine's software which offers macros and otherwise very limited in that regard, which is understandable since Maschine's software was designed from the ground up to be used with its dedicated hardware controller. A generic MIDI controller is not going to touch that integration.
Exactly. My comment was made in the context of MIDI mapping capabilities within software (specifically Traktor), which has been one of my biggest annoyances with Maschine.

You're right about how much of a difference the screens make; just as a MIDI controller alone I've felt from the start that Maschine was a huge improvement over my old MPD32.

condra

Post by condra » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:24 am

For me, a big missed opportunity with Maschine is the absence of a dedicated “Maschine Synth”, which has a graphical counterpart which visually and intuitively links with the physical controller.

We’re still a bit off, but I can imagine at some point in the future, there may be an integrated controller/software combination which manages to combine sampling, synthesis, performance, mixing, and sequencing, in an elegant way.
So far, Maschine seems to be doing the best job at being all things to all people.

For digital DJ’ing though, I still prefer Live, but I like to plan my sets and go far beyond A/B stuff.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:42 am

hmmmm, I liked Maschine, but I wanted to like it even more. I would read threads and watch videos before I tried one out. Then once I had it I was blown away at first then quickly stumbled on some limitations I just didn't want to deal with. I tried pushing forward and some of the minor annoyances just made me ditch. I really wanted to get Tempest and I was tired of waiting for Tempest to release.

I'm sure with Maschine and a few months I could work out what I wanted with it, I'm still intrigued by it, but I really wanted Tempest or something more native for DrumRacks and my APC40. After 2 years I finally got those things doing what I want. Now CNTRL:R is looking good, too. hmmmm

so much goin down, my head is spinning.