Future NI TRAKTOR going the live way

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tyko

Re: Future NI TRAKTOR going the live way

Post by Tyko » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:02 pm

the_planet wrote:Predictions:

-When Live 9 is released it is going to blow your fucking mind.
-There will be a thread at least a hundred pages long on the first day.
-There will be people saying "Fuck Ableton they didn't include [esoteric feature]."
-There will be some bitchin integration with SSL.
-There will be some bitchin integration with some weird software that nobody knows much about, but is still rad.
-Many of those who pick up the new Traktor will be like "Aww shoulda waited for Live 9!"

:D

amen.

Live isnt going anywhere it is too versatile and they have been ahead of the game and they know it.. along with a dedicated fan base like us sitting around chatting waiting for it to come..

"-When Live 9 is released it is going to blow your fucking mind."

noland

Post by noland » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:20 pm

-Many of those who pick up the new Traktor will be like "Aww shoulda waited for Live 9!"

I'm with ableton since live 5 and it was a big step from vinyl to digital. I did it because i wanted to get beyond the limitations of a rotating disc, as basically you can play a track on vinyl just from start to end elsewise you need at least two copies of the track and more than two turntables or a really good looper. At this time Traktor was just emulating a classic DJ setup, though you could have some extra fun with loops and cuepoints. And i wanted either vinyl or a computer not a mix of both.

With ableton i can cut a track to the loops i want and play them the way i want, it is part of abletons concept. For the purpose of playing tracks that are not your own (and you have the stems) ableton has never been a DJ software, it is more like a gigantic sampler/sequencer with all the loops slaved to one Master Tempo. You can do a lot of crazy things with ableton but it requires a lot of lot of lot of preparations: cutting loops, cropping samples and most important: store them in projects in a way you can easily find them in a live situation (or you prepare the whole set and press play :D ) I can do DJ sets, although it never feels like DJing.

In the past years Traktor has evolved a lot. Its pushing the limits of classic DJing to an extent where its way beyond 4 Decks + Mixer + FX and still has a DJ approach (and if its just the record crate and the deck based master/slave concept). I've seen friends of mine doing things with their S4 i'm really jealous of mostly because they can do it on the fly. You just have to set Beat Grids and Cue Points in advance and thats it. In Traktor its really easy to implement spontaneous ideas while the bass is pumping. So i'm really looking forward of what Traktor Remix will be capable of.
give a man fire and he will be warm for the night
set a man on fire and he will never freeze again

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:48 pm

noland wrote:

I'm with ableton since live 5 and it was a big step from vinyl to digital. I did it because i wanted to get beyond the limitations of a rotating disc, as basically you can play a track on vinyl just from start to end elsewise you need at least two copies of the track and more than two turntables or a really good looper. At this time Traktor was just emulating a classic DJ setup, though you could have some extra fun with loops and cuepoints. And i wanted either vinyl or a computer not a mix of both.

With ableton i can cut a track to the loops i want and play them the way i want, it is part of abletons concept. For the purpose of playing tracks that are not your own (and you have the stems) ableton has never been a DJ software, it is more like a gigantic sampler/sequencer with all the loops slaved to one Master Tempo. You can do a lot of crazy things with ableton but it requires a lot of lot of lot of preparations: cutting loops, cropping samples and most important: store them in projects in a way you can easily find them in a live situation (or you prepare the whole set and press play :D ) I can do DJ sets, although it never feels like DJing.

In the past years Traktor has evolved a lot. Its pushing the limits of classic DJing to an extent where its way beyond 4 Decks + Mixer + FX and still has a DJ approach (and if its just the record crate and the deck based master/slave concept). I've seen friends of mine doing things with their S4 i'm really jealous of mostly because they can do it on the fly. You just have to set Beat Grids and Cue Points in advance and thats it. In Traktor its really easy to implement spontaneous ideas while the bass is pumping. So i'm really looking forward of what Traktor Remix will be capable of.

Just wanted to add Live and Traktor are 2 completely different approaches that share some concepts. Both will evolve and I don’t think one is easily going to become the replacement for the other for a lot of people, or maybe I should say for those who can afford both. They both cater to different ways of working that appeal to different people.

For me personally I don’t ever see Live becoming a replacement for Traktor. And let’s be honest, NI has been really busy improving Traktor while Ableton’s been, well, we don’t know what they’re doing really. But even when Ableton drops 9 NI will continue with their more frequent updates outpacing Live’s.

noland

Post by noland » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:17 pm

Traktor 2.5 features
F1 Controller Details

edit:
F1 = $279 / 249 €
Traktor 2.5 = free update
give a man fire and he will be warm for the night
set a man on fire and he will never freeze again

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:53 am

starving student wrote:
to be fair that was whack as fuck!
:lol: Now does that mean it was shit or it was the shit?

First support emails: how to I make my clip labels float up like in the video please?

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:23 am

i hope they have enhanced integration for us maschine users... seems a logical step.

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:24 am

i hope they have enhanced integration for us maschine users... seems a logical step.

Post by 102455 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:55 am

This new Traktor version with the "remix decks" is a great step in the right direction - i.e. The Bridge done properly, BUT....

Unless NI have also implemented track warping into Traktor, then it doesn't really matter how many
loops and samples you can layer up, if the beats are not aligned to the tempo properly.

As far as I'm aware, Traktor still works by aligning a beat grid to the track - not aligning the track to a grid.

So if/when NI do add warping to Traktor, or if/when Ableton add a DJ interface to Live, only then are we talking nirvana!

Nick Shepherd

Post by Nick Shepherd » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:29 am

102455 wrote: So if/when NI do add warping to Traktor, or if/when Ableton add a DJ interface to Live, only then are we talking nirvana!
Traktor allready supports timestretching/keylocking - its not as sophisticated like lives warping/timestreching engine but it does work great for loops and thats all that counts when using the new remix decks :)

2.5 + F1 + S4 will be sooo good 8)

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:14 am

The 2.5 software update is free. The F1 controller drops on May 30th.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:38 am

I use my Launchpad to bang out ideas for drums, synths, sliced loops. Basically EVERYTHING. But thats just for inspiration. Once I find what I'm looking for it's all trackpad/mouse. I've become so proficient with my right hand (in more ways than one~ lol.) I do it all w/ the trackpad on my Macbook and keyboard short-cuts. Basically produce entire tracks w/ three fingers. There is NO substitution for mouse input when it comes to editing. I have an APC40, a Launchpad and an Axiom 25 but I find myself using them less and less in a production environment. Playing shows is a whole different story. My racks and mappings are totally essential to me enjoying playing live. And it would be quite boring w/o the controllers.

I've been wanting to get a Maschine but I can't really justify it. All this new integration w/ NI and new hard-ware coming out every other hour is a bit over-whelming. I'm more than happy w/ my set-up, honestly. I love Live and despite the few features that I wish it had, I don't see myself switching DAW's anytime soon. I'm not really sure what the hell people are always bitching about. I mean do you want to twist a knob, push a button and have a machine spit out a track for you? What we have RIGHT NOW in Ableton is pretty fucking advanced if you ask me? ANYONE can write, arrange, mix, master release and promote an entire record with a laptop and some soft-ware and your hand. WTF do u want, honestly? You're entire studio is in your backpack along w/ your whole live rig!!! You could build a career and make hundreds of thousands of dollars, go on tour and fuck 6 bitches a day with your computer! (OK I'm done.)

For real though! I'm quite happy w/ the results I get out of Live. I'm gonna keep at it! MAybe I'll buy an iPad just for the hell of it!

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:50 am

Truth. Machine is actually toy for fanboys. It brings much sales for NI, I assume. Watch the video of beat thang and Dr.Drum. They r kool. Ableton should follow dat way.

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:17 am

pencilrocket wrote:Truth. Machine is actually toy for fanboys. It brings much sales for NI, I assume. Watch the video of beat thang and Dr.Drum. They r kool. Ableton should follow dat way.
:lol:

they call him Mr. Pencil 'Tibbs'Rocket