Bad static coming from monitors...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ChrisMack99

Bad static coming from monitors...

Post by ChrisMack99 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:50 pm

Sometime in the past few days my monitors became extremely static-y. The music coming out of them sounds like shit, and when no music is on I can still here a lot of static white noise.

Both speakers have this problem, so I don't think I blew one of them out or anything. Could it be the chords? I have cheap chords, but I've never heard this static before....I've produced all my music on these things, but now everything sounds awful, especially the highs.

Any other ideas why the speakers would suddenly sound like this??

slatepipe

Re: Bad static coming from monitors...

Post by slatepipe » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:09 pm

can you try them with something else going through them? like, not your computer... a cd player, ipod or something?
is it a laptop? can you see if the problem is still there if you run it off its battery and not the mains

i had a problem with crackly crappy noise when i first tried to play music with my laptop through my amp and speakers in our living room - i bought a ground loop isolator (http://www.maplin.co.uk/ground-loop-isolator-33172) and put that in and it was fine

if that's your problem - though it might be something completely different

ChrisMack99

Post by ChrisMack99 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:46 am

What exactly is the function of a ground loop isolator?

Does it have something to do with the other current running through the room? I did just move into a new apartment and this one has 5 recessed lights on a dimmer switch in the ceiling rather than just a big lamp in a far corner...

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:36 am

That's your problem right there - the dimmer switch.

Does the noise still occur with the lights off?

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:12 pm

Rinsemeister wrote:That's your problem right there - the dimmer switch.

Does the noise still occur with the lights off?
i just realised that'll be what caused the problem in our living room - the lights are on a dimmer

Vios

Post by Vios » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:30 pm

Are you using an audio interface or are you going out through a sound card? When I was still using my laptop or my desktop's sound card I had different noise problems depending on where I plugged in. With the audio interface I have virtually zero noise anywhere (There's a tiny amount of noise when I press my ear to the tweater on monitors, which is inaudable from a normal listening distance).

ChrisMack99

Post by ChrisMack99 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:52 am

Im using an audio interface.

Do you really think it could be the dimmer switch? Unfortunately the room is set up in such a way that the dimmer that controls the lights also controls ALL OF THE ELECTRICAL CURRENT IN THE ROOM. How dumb is that? I can't even charge my phone at night.

Anyway, will that ground loop isolator help with this? Is there anything I can do??

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:51 am

"the dimmer that controls the lights also controls ALL OF THE ELECTRICAL CURRENT IN THE ROOM. How dumb is that?"

Not only is it dumb but it's seriously dangerous.

You should have at least one separate circuit for the mains (power) supply and another for the lights.

Get an electrician in to fix it. It sounds to me like some DIY jockey has been wiring up your apartment.

ChrisMack99

Post by ChrisMack99 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:14 pm

Ugh. I can try to talk to my landlord but he is a total prick. Can you tell me exactly why its dangerous, that will help.

For the time being, will one of those ground loop isolators fix my sound?

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:30 am

"For the time being, will one of those ground loop isolators fix my sound?"

Unlikely.

Reasons that your wiring is dangerous......

1. Normally you have a separate lighting circuit with a low amps breaker.
From your description this is not what you have. It appears that all your lighting, power and
whatever else you're running is being supplied over one breaker. This could be a potential
fire hazard due to cables overheating and insulation breaking down.

2. Your dimmer is on the same circuit as your sockets so the induction "noise" is being transmitted
through the cables that connect to your equipment. This in itself isn't dangerous but is a problem
that needs to be rectified.

Good luck with your landlord.