Guitars Max4Live and stuff of interest

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Gregory Wells-King

Guitars Max4Live and stuff of interest

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:26 pm

Every now and again I mention a name who get's missed.

This guy maybe of interest if 'Acoustic Gamelan' things aint so much. :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmMnxvus ... re=related

Erghh and just for the record. This 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdGruQHH ... re=related
Last edited by Gregory Wells-King on Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fcarroll

Re: Guitars Max4Live and stuff of interest

Post by fcarroll » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:30 pm

Christopher Willits has been doing great work with Ableton Live and Max for a while now, check out more of his tutorial videos, great stuff.
iMac, MacBook Pro, Ableton Live 8 Suite,Ableton PUSH Komplete 8, Logic Studio,Launchpad x 2, iPad (Lemur), M-Audio Keystudio, Akai MPD18, ...

Gregory Wells-King

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:36 pm

fcarroll wrote:Christopher Willits has been doing great work with Ableton Live and Max for a while now, check out more of his tutorial videos, great stuff.

Indeed.

It's great to see Ableton and guitar being used in this way makes it accessible to fairly basic guitar players like myself, who want really to make something new with guitar. Cut's out the hours of thinking you should be a better player before you touch one and makes a change from all the Shredding.

Gregory Wells-King

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:58 am

I was hoping to hear from other users.

Start a thread of light reading, after all this heavy Bitwig, V9/ NAMM stuff. :cry:

Show us your threads of interest.

bassik

Post by bassik » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:48 pm

Hello,

I personally use Ableton and max for live a lot.

My set-up includes:
Gibson SG standard
Tech 21 Liverpool pedal (and in the process of buying a delay pedal)
Clavia Nord Lead 2
and a couple of soft synth.

I play in a trio so my main use of ableton and max is to have the launchpad set up as a monome and use MLR to loop live my guitar playing and then cut it up if needed.

I also use pre recorded samples in MLR to be cut up live (mainly voices).

Examples (I am sorry I don't have a tutorial style example):

http://vimeo.com/29397920
http://vimeo.com/29292318

They are both videos done for our album but you can here how the voices and the guitar is processed with Live and MLR.

I haven't designed a device myself yet just because I found the one on the web already useful for my needs.

Hope you enjoy

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:28 pm

Christopher Willits is a gentleman and a scholar. Love this guy. Have you checked out his remix competition? Loads of stems, you can see his process deconstructed in an interesting way.

Liam

Post by Liam » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:52 pm

anybody human wrote:Christopher Willits is a gentleman and a scholar. Love this guy. Have you checked out his remix competition? Loads of stems, you can see his process deconstructed in an interesting way.
Link would be handy
:lol:

bassik

Post by bassik » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:35 am

Hello I was hoping this was going to be a topic on sharing production technique with a nice discussion...

It seems it is a topic for celebrating Christopher Willits (who is a very fine musician, don't get em wrong).

Ableton forum is becoming quite boring
loads of people who complains...people who advertise other DAWs...celebration of artists...

is it possible that the age of the users has been moved towards the teens?

My 2 pence rant

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:01 pm

bassik wrote:Hello I was hoping this was going to be a topic on sharing production technique with a nice discussion...

It seems it is a topic for celebrating Christopher Willits (who is a very fine musician, don't get em wrong).

Ableton forum is becoming quite boring
loads of people who complains...people who advertise other DAWs...celebration of artists...

is it possible that the age of the users has been moved towards the teens?

My 2 pence rant
I am over 40 and I play guitar. Unfortunately not M4L. I got Launchpad and VG99, it rocks!
Are interested anyway?
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

bassik

Post by bassik » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:46 pm

That is good Pasha.
and how do you use your guitar with Live?

Any interesting tips to share?

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:46 am

bassik wrote:That is good Pasha.
and how do you use your guitar with Live?

Any interesting tips to share?
Sorry for delay. Busy as hell.

First I am not playing alive but rather compose and record.
I use my guitar in a variety of ways:

1) Plain Guitar (no FX) into Live. Apply FX later, especially delays. No hexaphonic pickup used
This works best if I have not decided which sound I need. 100% post production freedom!
Using AMP I can add distortion and punch.

2) Guitar with FX applied from VG99 into Live, using COSM sounds and hexaphonic pickup
I can use or not the COSM emulation here. Often I use VG99 as a guitar effect by processing my
Guitar natural sounds but if I need more like make my strat sound like a sitar or Gibson L4 then COSM
is involved. When recording I try to get the signal without reverb and delay to be added later in Live.
However, 50% of the times I record the sound wet including delay and reverb because I have an idea of what I need before recording

3) VG99 backing synth-alike sounds (Brassy, Stringy sounds) by leveraging GR300 COSM emulation (hexa PU used).
Using freeze mode and a stupid pedal I can even pretend to lay down back tracks as they were synths.
In this case I record the standard signal (clean guitar anyway) into another track for reinforcement.

4) Live controls some parameters of VG99 in realtime as I record. I can create various manipulations via MIDI to control or mimic LFOs, Cutoff, Resonance..

5) As a MIDI controller to trigger VST or internal Live instruments.

It all depends on what I need to do.
VG99 has changed the way I use a guitar with Live and a Guitar overall..

Hope this helps
Ask more if in need,

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:58 pm

Use my Chapman Stick for live looping along with touchAble and other apps on the iPad to manipulate FX. Added a SoftStep foot controller awhile back and it's added a whole new dimension. Also been using a Sonuus G2M midi unit. With the SoftStep, I can record a loop of audio and then capture the MIDI at the same time. I've got Alchemy as my softsynth for the Stick-To-MIDI, and it's great to also raise the 'clean' Stick audio level so that I've got the synth and clean at the same time. SoftStep allows me to change about 8 of my Alchemy patches on the fly...but I've also mapped 50+ of my Alchemy patches to MIDI Touch for the iPad.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Samaritan Sound

Post by Samaritan Sound » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:47 pm

37 here. Ableton is my main DAW of choice. This is after years of using Sonar, and being trained in mixing and production with Pro Tools. Lately (last 2 years) I've been using PodFarm VST for guitars, and it sounds great. For a while we were using the rig live at church for complex songs with additional backing loops. We played with our youth band one night, and the guitar player was running a rusty-stringed Squier sure directly into the board. Sounded awful. I had him plug into my rig, and ran him through PodFarm - sounded great, and no discernable latency.
For recording bass, I usually run through a VT Bass pedal

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:05 pm

Liam wrote:
anybody human wrote:Christopher Willits is a gentleman and a scholar. Love this guy. Have you checked out his remix competition? Loads of stems, you can see his process deconstructed in an interesting way.
Link would be handy
:lol:
It's on his site, Ableton's & Soundcloud. Competition is about over but still check out the stems, might be interesting.

http://christopherwillits.com/