Who would like a Midi controller app on Windows Phone ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Do you have a Windows Phone and would you like a midi controller for it ?

I don't have a Windows Phone
79%
I have a Windows Phone but would not care for a midi controller application
4%
I have a Windows Phone and would like a midi controller application for it !
4%
I have a Windows Phone and I am willing to PAY for a midi controller application if it is worth it
13%

Total votes: 24

SBRK

Who would like a Midi controller app on Windows Phone ?

Post by SBRK » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:10 am

I'm getting a Windows Phone in a few days. Being a developer, I started fooling around with the Windows Phone SDK, and I noticed there were no midi controller applications at al on the marketplace, so I started working on one.

Just out of curiosity, a quick poll :
- how many of you here have a Windows Phone ?
- how many would want a midi controller on Windows Phone ?
- how many would PAY for such an application, if it was worth it, with great features that you would not get with a classic midi controller ?

I already ported the midi part of the DSMI library that was originally for the Nintendo DS, and has an iPhone port too. That way, there is already a functionnal server for both Mac and Windows (and Linux too)

DataMusic

Re: Who would like a Midi controller app on Windows Phone ?

Post by DataMusic » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:19 am

Yes man do it! But i doubt there will be many of us which is a shame because it´s great OS

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:42 am

I had to answer "I have a Windows Phone and I am willing to PAY for a midi controller application if it is worth it" even though it's not true because I've never owned a cellphone but I'd love to see a MIDI controller app for WP7.5 now that it supports UDP.

Just recently someone made an app named "Remote MIDI". It's in the marketplace.
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/ ... f278646193
It's kind of ugly but if it works well then it's a good start.

As long as the PC client app doesn't force users to use BONJOUR than I invite anyone to start making wireless MIDI controller apps for WP7.5 because it's a great OS an the developer tools are excellent. I'm very tempted to get the new Nokia Lumia 900 when it becomes available in my area.

You might also look into Ethermidi for the PC client app. I've tested it by sending MIDI between 2 computers and it seems fine.
http://www.linuxsampler.org/ethernetmidi/

If you need/want to use rtpMIDI http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/rtpMIDI.html , which looks excellent, I'm going to suggest you figure out how to use it without being forced to install Bonjour then explain it to anyone using your app because I've seen it mess up WAY too many Windows machines. It (and the associated services that install along with iTunes) are just as bad as any intentional malware I've ever seen.
SBRK wrote:I'm getting a Windows Phone in a few days. Being a developer, I started fooling around with the Windows Phone SDK, and I noticed there were no midi controller applications at al on the marketplace, so I started working on one.

Just out of curiosity, a quick poll :
- how many of you here have a Windows Phone ?
- how many would want a midi controller on Windows Phone ?
- how many would PAY for such an application, if it was worth it, with great features that you would not get with a classic midi controller ?

I already ported the midi part of the DSMI library that was originally for the Nintendo DS, and has an iPhone port too. That way, there is already a functionnal server for both Mac and Windows (and Linux too)

SBRK

Post by SBRK » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:46 am

I've already ported DSMI, which was originally a Nintendo DS library, then was ported to iPhone. It does not use Bonjour, but kinda works the same way : the client broadcasts to the local network so you don't have to enter the server IP.
http://dsmi.tobw.net/

The problem though, is that with the Windows Phone SDK, you can't broadcast for the moment, and you can't use the "bind" function. Without entering into details, it means I had to modify the existing server, and that the WP app will need the server IP to connect.

Rumours has it that the next update will bring C++ application developpement to Windows Phone, so let's cross fingers...

In the meantime, I'll continue working on a first app, but I have a lot of work right now so I don't have much time for this.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:52 pm

Yes, it DOES look like Windows Phone 8 will have allot in common with Windows 8 so it will probably support C++.
If you haven't done so already, there's lots of discussions about Win8 and Windows Phone at http://channel9.msdn.com.

Have you tried out RemoteMIDI yet on your phone? It's the first MIDI controller I've seen for WP7.5.
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/ ... f278646193

What I'd really like is to have a convertible multitouch ultrabook (probably running Windows 8 ) that I can run Usine Pro on so I can build my own MIDI controller interfaces and send the data to my desktop using EtherMIDI then through MIDIYoke to my VSTs.

SBRK wrote:I've already ported DSMI, which was originally a Nintendo DS library, then was ported to iPhone. It does not use Bonjour, but kinda works the same way : the client broadcasts to the local network so you don't have to enter the server IP.
http://dsmi.tobw.net/

The problem though, is that with the Windows Phone SDK, you can't broadcast for the moment, and you can't use the "bind" function. Without entering into details, it means I had to modify the existing server, and that the WP app will need the server IP to connect.

Rumours has it that the next update will bring C++ application developpement to Windows Phone, so let's cross fingers...

In the meantime, I'll continue working on a first app, but I have a lot of work right now so I don't have much time for this.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:42 pm

I know this is an old post but I see that someone has made another MIDI controller for WP7.5 and this one is free :)
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ca/store ... d5ae903d38

Again, it's kinda ugly but it looks quite well thought out. The PC server app that communicates with it is simple and straight forward, which I like, but it would be nice if it worked with rtpMIDI (and made sure you could use it without forcing people to use Bonjour).
http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html
I've transmitted MIDI data wirelessly between 2 computers with rtpMIDI in the past and I avoided having to use Bonjour by simple typing in my IP and port numbers manually.

SBRK

Post by SBRK » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:52 pm

SO ! I could not do my thing for Windows Phone 7, because of limitations on the WP7.1 SDK sockets API. I had something working but had to modify the server, tobw (the original DSMI developer) was not really responding, and then someone released a Midi controller app and I lost motivation.

Now with Windows Phone 8 coming, I took my old code and changed it so that it works with the stock DSMI server that you can download now. Microsoft finally realised how stupid it was to limit their SDK so much. I might also port it to the native C++ SDK. I did try actually, because I basically only had to copy/paste the original Nintendo DS library source and change it a little, but I could never get the code to compile, something about missing externals on winsock2. I got tired and ended up going to bed :)

Long story short, as soon as I get a Windows Phone 8 device, I'll be testing my port on the real thing (one other problem I had back then when trying to port it to WP7 was annoying delays on the real device), and making an app, finally ^^

EDIT :
ShelLuser wrote:Never saw this one back then.

I got myself a WinPhone (7) as well but quite frankly I don't really care for midi apps and most certainly wouldn't want to pay for them. After all; if I want to tinker I have Live, M4L (/ Max), Reason, Samplitude, and a whole lot of other toys to play with. Wouldn't want to get confined to a little screen.

'tis a nice OS I think, but the main problem IMO is that you actually have to pay for a annual subscription in order to get development access to your own phone. That's the only down side for me; not being allowed to (legally) hookup your phone and hack into it using C#.

...but there are more roads which lead to Rome :twisted:
I think that dev accounts are at 8$ for 8 days, to celebrate the release of WP8, jump on the occasion ;)

SBRK

Post by SBRK » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:12 pm

Native plugin done, I'm working on a simple app for quick release, and will be working on a more advanced one for further release, that will probably not be free

SBRK

Post by SBRK » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:59 pm

I have submited my application yesterday. It will be free, and it's a simple X/Y touch controller, a little like a Kaoss pad. Further features will be multitouch, presets, and a prettier gui