Favourite new ANALOGUE synth?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

Pick your favourite..

Moog Minitaur
19
33%
Arturia MiniBrute
25
44%
Waldorf Pulse 2
13
23%
 
Total votes: 57

condra
Posts: 2753
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:03 pm
Location: Dublin
Contact:

Favourite new ANALOGUE synth?

Post by condra » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:12 am

3 shiney new analogue synths revealed at WNAMM12...

Which one would you go for?

nycmex77
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:58 am
Location: NEW YORK, NY

Re: Favourite new ANALOGUE synth?

Post by nycmex77 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:27 am

I voted for mini brute keys and knobs,faders small compact.
Image

Muzik 4 Machines
Posts: 769
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:35 am

Re: Favourite new ANALOGUE synth?

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:31 am

i'd get a minibrute in a heartbeat if they made it 2 osc with sync(might still get one, but i already have a 1 osc synth) but that's the one with the more hands on tweakability

Ryanmf
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:35 pm

Re: Favourite new ANALOGUE synth?

Post by Ryanmf » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:03 am

I can't vote. I really have no idea. I was certain I wanted the Minitaur, then NAMM happened.

The Pulse II looks to be by far the most versatile: 3 osc, analog FM and ring mod, lots going on with that one. But the matrix editor would be annoying (although at least it has digitally accessible presets so you're not completely screwed if you accidentally start turning a knob on the wrong axis), and the sketchy Mac connectivity put me off of the Blofeld at one point, if those issues haven't been addressed I doubt I'd pull the trigger on that one. Most importantly, all we've seen at this point is a rendering. Not so much as a prototype, and no audio demos. Hard to have much of an opinion at this point.

That damn Minibrute is awesome. So much going for it, and it sounds damn good in the demos. I've never been that impressed with Arturia, particularly as it pertains to the quality/craftsmanship of their hardware, and at that price point I'd be concerned that they may have cut some corners. From what I've read elsewhere, the designer responsible for the synth architecture (Yves Usson) is an absolute stud, a real pro's pro. The waveshaping/wavefolding effects sound very cool, and although I'm far from an analog filter design expert and as a consequence don't completely understand the benefits of the Steiner Filter, at least it's not another Moog LPF knockoff. Finally, there are so many cool little things about it: aftertouch, it's effectively a MIDI/CV converter (and costs about as much as a standalone MIDI/CV box that just happens to have a analog synth tacked on), audio in to go with that filter (and it's associated brute/overdrive effect). I truly can't believe it's as cheap as it is.

Like I said, I really wanted the Minitaur. I still do, to a certain extent. It's kind of a bummer that it truly is a bass-only synth (it'll only play as high as middle C), but I suppose that was the intent. It's by far the most limited of the three in terms of available waveforms, and sound manipulation, while it'll probably be the most expensive. I guess it's the safest bet (not to mention the cheapest Moog on the market), and if the Minibrute didn't exist, I doubt there'd be any other synth at this show that I'd be quite as interested in. Like just about every other Moog product, the things that it does I expect it'll do very well. It's the limitations that get me.

xenomachino1
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Favourite new ANALOGUE synth?

Post by xenomachino1 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:04 am

^

I think exactly the same as you. Damn you MiniBrute!!! My life was so easy. Had already decided on the minotaur. After all is said and done, I think the moog will sound better but the minibrute will be 400 times more fun to play with. higher sound quality vs. a ton more inspiration? Which one would you chose?

JuanSOLO
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:21 am
Location: Shreveport LA, sometimes Dallas/Ft Worth TX

Re: Favourite new ANALOGUE synth?

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:35 pm

Ryanmf wrote:It's the limitations that get me.
Limitation can bring out the best in creativity. I like your post, it's pretty much what I am thinking.

However, these are but 3 new synths from the current NAMM. For me there are still other contenders in this particular price range of synthesis.
If I was considering MiniBrute, it would be more between DSI Mopho vs MiniBrute, and I would be thinking about the Korg Polysix.
If I was considering Minitaur I would be asking myself how important is that Moog thing that it does so well, is it 600 dollars important?
When it comes to purchasing analogue gear I am wanting something specific and the Pulse 2 looks to simplified to deliver that, it would have to sound AMAZING for me to get one.

I must say, if you had the MiniBrute for a few years, the lack of preset storage and recall would force you to know it SO well, you would master your instrument. It would be a great synth for learning synthesis.

I bought a Slim Phatty about 6 months ago and as much as I would like to see a Minitaur next to it, I would probably go for something different. Since I struggle with the Prophet 5 price range, I would be looking into a Polysix, possibly a Korg Monopoly.

Muzik 4 Machines wrote:i'd get a minibrute in a heartbeat if they made it 2 osc with sync(might still get one, but i already have a 1 osc synth) but that's the one with the more hands on tweakability
wouldn't that be the Slim Phatty somewhat?


I'm still buggin out over this one too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvo5x5G4YJg

razorblade
Posts: 324
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:37 pm

Re: Favourite new ANALOGUE synth?

Post by razorblade » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:46 pm

At this point, The Waldorf is vaporware....I will believe it when I see it.

Remember their last big hardware announcement was Stromberg...2 years ago...

Minibrute + Minitaur comes in under the cost of a Little Phatty, and the two seem like they'd go together like peanut butter and jelly.
No...I am 3phase!

nycmex77
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:58 am
Location: NEW YORK, NY

Re: Favourite new ANALOGUE synth?

Post by nycmex77 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:54 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:
Ryanmf wrote:It's the limitations that get me.
Limitation can bring out the best in creativity. I like your post, it's pretty much what I am thinking.

However, these are but 3 new synths from the current NAMM. For me there are still other contenders in this particular price range of synthesis.
If I was considering MiniBrute, it would be more between DSI Mopho vs MiniBrute, and I would be thinking about the Korg Polysix.
If I was considering Minitaur I would be asking myself how important is that Moog thing that it does so well, is it 600 dollars important?
When it comes to purchasing analogue gear I am wanting something specific and the Pulse 2 looks to simplified to deliver that, it would have to sound AMAZING for me to get one.

I must say, if you had the MiniBrute for a few years, the lack of preset storage and recall would force you to know it SO well, you would master your instrument. It would be a great synth for learning synthesis.

I bought a Slim Phatty about 6 months ago and as much as I would like to see a Minitaur next to it, I would probably go for something different. Since I struggle with the Prophet 5 price range, I would be looking into a Polysix, possibly a Korg Monopoly.

Muzik 4 Machines wrote:i'd get a minibrute in a heartbeat if they made it 2 osc with sync(might still get one, but i already have a 1 osc synth) but that's the one with the more hands on tweakability
wouldn't that be the Slim Phatty somewhat?


I'm still buggin out over this one too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvo5x5G4YJg

korg mono poly sounds bad ass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ2c2isw124&feature=fvst
Image

JuanSOLO
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:21 am
Location: Shreveport LA, sometimes Dallas/Ft Worth TX

Re: Favourite new ANALOGUE synth?

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:05 pm

nycmex77 wrote:korg mono poly sounds bad ass
yeah it does, and every now and then you will see one on ebay at a reasonable price.

McQ714
Posts: 1851
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Favourite new ANALOGUE synth?

Post by McQ714 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:27 pm

i took a look at the minibrute videos from namm and it looks like a cheap plastic piece of shit.

Ryanmf
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:35 pm

Re: Favourite new ANALOGUE synth?

Post by Ryanmf » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:47 pm

McQ714 wrote:i took a look at the minibrute videos from namm and it looks like a cheap plastic piece of shit.
The people who were actually at NAMM confirm it's an all aluminum construction.

So there goes that.

razorblade
Posts: 324
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:37 pm

Re: Favourite new ANALOGUE synth?

Post by razorblade » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:55 pm

McQ714 wrote: it looks like a cheap plastic piece of shit.
That's their way of paying homage to the SH101.
No...I am 3phase!

Muzik 4 Machines
Posts: 769
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:35 am

Re: Favourite new ANALOGUE synth?

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:02 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:
Ryanmf wrote:It's the limitations that get me.
Limitation can bring out the best in creativity. I like your post, it's pretty much what I am thinking.

However, these are but 3 new synths from the current NAMM. For me there are still other contenders in this particular price range of synthesis.
If I was considering MiniBrute, it would be more between DSI Mopho vs MiniBrute, and I would be thinking about the Korg Polysix.
If I was considering Minitaur I would be asking myself how important is that Moog thing that it does so well, is it 600 dollars important?
When it comes to purchasing analogue gear I am wanting something specific and the Pulse 2 looks to simplified to deliver that, it would have to sound AMAZING for me to get one.

I must say, if you had the MiniBrute for a few years, the lack of preset storage and recall would force you to know it SO well, you would master your instrument. It would be a great synth for learning synthesis.

I bought a Slim Phatty about 6 months ago and as much as I would like to see a Minitaur next to it, I would probably go for something different. Since I struggle with the Prophet 5 price range, I would be looking into a Polysix, possibly a Korg Monopoly.

Muzik 4 Machines wrote:i'd get a minibrute in a heartbeat if they made it 2 osc with sync(might still get one, but i already have a 1 osc synth) but that's the one with the more hands on tweakability
wouldn't that be the Slim Phatty somewhat?


I'm still buggin out over this one too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvo5x5G4YJg
no, the slim phatty has like 4 multi functon knobs, and that's why i'd never get it for live use

JuanSOLO
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:21 am
Location: Shreveport LA, sometimes Dallas/Ft Worth TX

Re: Favourite new ANALOGUE synth?

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:38 pm

thats why I said "somewhat"

I control all parameters through an M4L device from an APC40, plus I have additional modulation with that method. Pretty neat.
However I definitely see your point, it's what kept me from getting one for so long.

Muzik 4 Machines
Posts: 769
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:35 am

Re: Favourite new ANALOGUE synth?

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:49 pm

that's interesting, tho its still WAY too expensive for what it does IMOHO, but i can see M4L doing a great job at that, but the APC misses like another 16 knobs to be really the al in 1 solution i need, i may build myself a double APC just to get more knobs

Post Reply