Favourite new ANALOGUE synth?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

Pick your favourite..

Moog Minitaur
33%
Arturia MiniBrute
44%
Waldorf Pulse 2
23%

Total votes: 57

JuanSOLO

Re: Favourite new ANALOGUE synth?

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:38 am

APC40 + Bomes, has really expanded my APC40. For example, the device control 'buttons' are only default by holding shift. Other wise they select the title bars of 8 different FX racks, per Track Selection. So in other word, depending on the track I have in focus, the device buttons 'blue hand' 8 different racks.

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:37 am

i really need to buy bomes after i buy my new mac to do all those tricks (IMOHO, i managed to do some pretty wild things without, so i can just imagine what i will be able to do with)

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:56 am

Ryanmf wrote:
McQ714 wrote:i took a look at the minibrute videos from namm and it looks like a cheap plastic piece of shit.
The people who were actually at NAMM confirm it's an all aluminum construction.

So there goes that.

let's get a few things straight..
1) aluminum enclosure does not mean it is, as you say, "all aluminum construction".
2) confirming that it is an aluminum enclosure doesn't change the fact that it looks like a cheap plastic piece of shit. it just means that it's a heavier synth that still looks like a cheap plastic piece of shit.
3) an aluminum enclosure would not keep cheap plastic knobs and faders from getting damaged if the thing is thrown around like Emerson's hammond.

So there goes that... ass-hat!

Ryanmf

Post by Ryanmf » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:38 am

Look, you're a random dude. Multiple people who I know and trust, who used it at NAMM, and who have a tremendous amount of experience with all variety of synthesizers have related to me how impressed they were with the construction of the Minibrute (including comments about how solid the faders and encoders felt).

I find it hard to believe myself, and you can read my comments to that effect in this very thread. I think razorblade is on the money, that to the extent that this think looks kind of cheap, it very well may be a sort of homage to the sh101, which it just so happens to have a lot in common with.

But if you can't handle someone challenging the completely hyperbolic opinions you've formed based on pictures you saw on the internet, and are going to be a total dick in your misguided attempts to defend them—fuck it, not getting into the e-dickwaving matches tonight—do whatever you want.

Breaks Dude

Post by Breaks Dude » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:48 pm

The SH-101 was a cheap plastic piece of shit. So was the MC-202 and TB-303. Same goes for the JP8000. All I care about is what it sounds like. If it sounds sick, I don't care if it's made out of cardboard and held together with cat semen.

rosti

Post by rosti » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:19 am

Cant really decide between Pulse 2 and MiniBrute.. As someone mentioned, there is only a 3D model of the Pulse 2. No sound demos, no nothing.. Specs seems promising, but until i hear how it sounds, i can only hope that its going to be a killer synth. MiniBrute seems like a really fun synth to play with! And it has a multimode filter! Something that is lacking from most of the analog synths in this price range.

Taurus seems nice, but its quite limited compared to the others. I would get the Slim Phatty instead. But thats just me.

I think i'm getting the minibrute at some point (i was going to get the MoPho KB, but MiniBrute just seems better for me..) and considering the pulse 2. I wish they are going to make a keyboard version though. That would be sweet with the semipolyfony.

ps. I voted for MiniBrute for Pulse 2 just being a 3D-model at this point :D
Last edited by rosti on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:49 am

Aren't they actually DIGITAL?

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:55 am

pencilrocket wrote:Aren't they actually DIGITAL?
No.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:58 am

Thanks. Then different from the Virus Ti.

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:21 pm

pencilrocket wrote:Thanks. Then different from the Virus Ti.
Yes.

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:45 pm

There's not even a single Pulse 2 audio demo on Warldof's site. So it's pretty difficult to have an opinion about that, IMHO. At this point (based only on watching video demos) I would go with the MiniBrute. Always wanted SH-101.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:34 pm

The Moog Minotaur intrigues me for this (long winded) reason:

I have a DSI Tetra, but I honestly use it mostly as a mono bass synth, a Mopho basically. For one thing, I'm just not that good at programming polysynths, I get too carried away tweaking. A lot of times I'll just do sound design off recording my guitar & either editing or slicing it for melody stuff. Plus, the Tetra sounds so damn good as a bass synth. So, I'd be cool with the limitation of Minotaur as only a bass synth; if you're gonna have analog bass why not have a Moog? And then maybe I'd be inspired to get better at programming polysynths on the Tetra. That's it in a nutshell :)

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:24 pm

I'm a waldorf fan, if the Pulse 2 sounds better than my Pulse+, it's my choice among the 3 choices. Also I have a X-station with a Pulse template, ready for some tweak to the Pulse 2 version if they didn't change all the cc too much.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

foetus666

Post by foetus666 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:34 am

I voted Minibrute as that is what i recently purchased. I have previously owned a Juno 6 a Juno 60 and a JX3P. I also own a Korg Monotribe with the amazing machines midi in / out fitted.

I am having heaps of fun.
I like the variety of filter types on the Minibrute. It can go from smooth and creamy to so dirty that it is insane.
It syncs so easily to Ableton via the USB (Arp and LFO)
The minibrute and monotribe can be combined nicely. (Monotribe into the minibrute audio in as another oscilator or can use the CV Pitch and Gate out on the Minibrute to control the Monotribe with the latest Monotribe firmware update and a TRRS cable split - although calibration seems to keep eluding me)