Poll: Who is sticking around and who is moving on?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Re: Poll: Who has moved on?

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:22 pm

Rave wrote:If u need live 9 to make music u must be shit. :P
If you need any DAW in particular to make music you must be shit.
But hey, I'm from the DAW whore school of use what's best suited for the job, not brand loyalty or fickle bouncing around because DAW X doesn't do Y so therefore it must be useless school.

So the question is moot, I've never sold a DAW, they devalue too much and I like data mining old song sometimes! :D
I will say that once I sunk my teeth into Live for a while I used nothing else, but I soon realized I have a short attention span.
Plus traditional DAWs simply have more options when mixing down, not that it can't be done in Live, I'm just more comfortable in DP mixing down.

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:39 pm

I use ableton about 80% of the time for making tunes and things. I have been using reaper a bit lately too, for straightforward sound editing and also for mastering. I got the t racks deluxe suite thing and ableton totally crashes with it straightaway whereas reaper is really stable

though for me nothing beats live for jamming, improvising, playing live and just getting stuff done quick. I wish it didn't crash with t racks though :(

I use spear a little bit too, for making sounds

gorillaknuckles

Post by gorillaknuckles » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:09 am

Cool, -1 is fine too. This is not an attack. No one needs to get their panties/ginch in a knot, ok? I'm just polling to see how people who hang out here are feeling.

Personally, I am on the fence right now.

Just got the demo of Studio One and so far am digging it. For anyone looking around, I do rec checking it out.

Still have a lot of love for Ableton, but since I work with a lot of heavy sample based vsts, the 32 bit crashes are really a pain in the ass.

I feel no allegiance to any particular soft, I just want something that doesn't get in the way of me being creative.

noland

Post by noland » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:51 am

gorillaknuckles wrote:I just want something that doesn't get in the way of me being creative.
So then stop sissing around and start making music. Thats why i really dislike pseudo artists. They always find something/someone to blame for their lack of creativity/success/fame/whatever...

Choose life, peace out
give a man fire and he will be warm for the night
set a man on fire and he will never freeze again

gorillaknuckles

Post by gorillaknuckles » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:05 am

noland wrote:
gorillaknuckles wrote:I just want something that doesn't get in the way of me being creative.
So then stop sissing around and start making music. Thats why i really dislike pseudo artists. They always find something/someone to blame for their lack of creativity/success/fame/whatever...

Choose life, peace out
This is why I post in forums. For replies like this. Overdramatic, out of context and condescending.

A strong contribution.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:06 am

Ryanmf wrote:?(-1)
haha some one is a thinker, kudos

-37 and im not looking

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:35 am

I feel the same way about an OS. I just want to turn on the computer, click the icon for a program and use it.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:42 am

I dont

Enjoying Live every minute I use it
The only crashes I got are when my laptop's battery is empty and the Power unit is not plugged.

Why moving?

Rave

Post by Rave » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:15 am

gorillaknuckles wrote:Hi all, I posted this in new feature requests, but I think this is a better place.

Just wondering who has moved on to a different DAW b/c they lost patience with Ableton?

All you need to do is +1, but feel free to vent if you so desire.

Seriously, I don't understand the need to vent. Why purchase a particular DAW if you are not happy with the feature set. Personally, I think we are spoiled as it is. Session view is a revelation.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:08 am

Rave wrote:
gorillaknuckles wrote:Hi all, I posted this in new feature requests, but I think this is a better place.

Just wondering who has moved on to a different DAW b/c they lost patience with Ableton?

All you need to do is +1, but feel free to vent if you so desire.

Seriously, I don't understand the need to vent. Why purchase a particular DAW if you are not happy with the feature set. Personally, I think we are spoiled as it is. Session view is a revelation.
Was wondering this myself? So you decided to no longer use Live but still hang out at the forums and feel the need to dis the product to the users who like it?

Reminds me of KVR any time a Logic thread appears. At least four ex Logic PC users jump in to dump on Logic and Apple. :lol:

toph

Post by toph » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:05 pm

I don't "move on", but Live got a strong companion named Studio One the last month.

I'll finish my recent project in Live, but will then concentrate on Studio One for some time, because it'll fit my needs much better for what I plan to do next.

I was working (writing, arranging, mixing) exclusively with Live the last six years and I really like to work with it, but in my opinion Lives concept channels the way I work to a certain workflow, which I want to break through now to breath some fresh air.

C.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:28 pm

Nothing to vent, but I am finally making sense of Cubase thanks to a mixdown I'm currently working on. For tracking I thought it was much less friendly than Live, too fussy to set up new tracks. Mixing however is a different story...

I own a Motif XF which came with Cubase AI5 and works as a control surface (it also works with Live though with fewer functions). Of course AI5 is a light version, it doesn't even allow track freezing :? , no Rewire support and has far fewer plugs than Live. But the MIDI support is spectacular, as it should be for a program evolved from an Atari ST MIDI sequencer.

The thing bugging me is the price...a $325 upgrade until 1/31/12 then it's $425...ouch. Since I just upgraded from Live 7 to Suite 8 last fall that's a tough one to swallow. I really hate how software has zero resale value, flipping DAWs gets expensive :oops:

0fps

Post by 0fps » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:35 pm

analogcabin wrote:Is Ableton Live perfect? No.
Is any other DAW "better"...... not even close.

Live is still a great DAW and I've tried them all. Enjoy!

+1
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer

gorillaknuckles

Re: Poll: Who is sticking around and who is moving on?

Post by gorillaknuckles » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:38 pm

Ok, obviously I framed this question the wrong way -- it was too skewed towards the moving on crowd. I've re-phrased it:
Just wondering who remains happy with Ableton, and has moved on to a different DAW?

+1 to say you've moved on or -1 to say you're sticking around, but details are interesting.

Please do not confuse this with a personal attack. It is a simple question, born only of curiosity.
And please, if the term "moving on" is so offensive to so many (honestly, I don't get this at all), please let me know what other phrase I could use that doesn't sound like weak PC jargon.

Some facts for the haters:
I am an Ableton user, I use it every day.
I have downloaded Studio One and am testing it out.
I do not work for Bitwig, Presonus, etc.
An artist is an artist when only they can truly call themselves one.

coldmachine

Post by coldmachine » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:11 pm

Ryanmf wrote:?(-1)
= j :lol: