Poll: Who is sticking around and who is moving on?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gorillaknuckles

Re: Poll: Who is sticking around and who is moving on?

Post by gorillaknuckles » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:35 pm

Memory overload I think it is called? -- too many ram based vsts and poof, like magic, she disappears.

Reaper has a warning system built into its 32 bit version. If you are getting close to a crash, it'll let you know, so at least you can start freezing or slimming. Ableton lets you know when you've maxed it out by going down in flames.

candy warlos

Post by candy warlos » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:31 am

toph wrote:
candy warlos wrote:I already paid upgrades from 5 to 7 to 8 just for minor improvements and gadgets that weren't really worth the money…
My very subjective view of this statement is that this is a very subjective point of view. ;) ... racks, suite package, slicing, rex-supoort, groups, groove quantize - just to mention a few.
C.
I've never used any of these features, they are completely useless to me. Except grouping tracks, maybe. (Also the fact that in Live 7 you can't drag the volume of all selected tracks at once)
Basically, I bought Live 7 when I moved from PPC mac to core2duo mac, and Live 8 just for Vocoder, Multiband Dynamics and the arrangement faders (I can't work without these now). That makes 3 cool things, but nothing is really worth the constant crashes, retarded "can't locate plug ins" error messages, etc.

toph

Post by toph » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:00 pm

candy warlos wrote:I've never used any of these features, they are completely useless to me. Except grouping tracks, maybe. (Also the fact that in Live 7 you can't drag the volume of all selected tracks at once) Basically, I bought Live 7 when I moved from PPC mac to core2duo mac, and Live 8 just for Vocoder, Multiband Dynamics and the arrangement faders (I can't work without these now). That makes 3 cool things, but nothing is really worth the constant crashes, retarded "can't locate plug ins" error messages, etc.
I understand, but what you say underlines that it's your very subjective view. ;) And we all hope that Abletons next release will be much more solid from the day it'll be released. But it's not fair to say that the upgrades aren't worth the price. People seem to think in completely different dimensions regarding to this today. 15 years ago you had to calculate 600 Euros for the cheapest available vocoder and much more for any good dynamic effect. Sure, it's now software and was hardware back then, but we all should feel happy what is possible today by only using a computer and a software for 600 Euros. So I've never seen a reason to complain about to high upgrade prices.

milfhuntr

Post by milfhuntr » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:23 pm

I am switching to Magix Music Maker. Hey, it is on sale for $49.00 on Amazon.

candy warlos

Post by candy warlos » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:03 am

toph wrote:But it's not fair to say that the upgrades aren't worth the price. People seem to think in completely different dimensions regarding to this today. 15 years ago you had to calculate 600 Euros for the cheapest available vocoder and much more for any good dynamic effect. Sure, it's now software and was hardware back then, but we all should feel happy what is possible today by only using a computer and a software for 600 Euros. So I've never seen a reason to complain about to high upgrade prices.
That's a way to put it, but nowadays you can also use pretty much anything you can think of for about 0 Euro with cracked software. That makes the act of paying still significant I guess.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:33 am

Purchased upgrades will never be able to compete with cracked gear, in the short term at least.

toph

Post by toph » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:34 am

candy warlos wrote:That's a way to put it, but nowadays you can also use pretty much anything you can think of for about 0 Euro with cracked software. That makes the act of paying still significant I guess.
Yes, but that shouldn't be an arguement for telling a developer, that his product/upgrade is too expensive. That would be like telling a guitar shop owner "Hey, others have stolen guitars from your shop, so be happy that I'm willing to pay some dollars at all!" What all these crack and illegal music users out there doesn't seem to understand is, that the developer as the musician will have to stop developing/ making music when all of us would react like them. When it comes down to basics we all have to buy something to eat and drink for our families and ourselves. And if people that want to use software or listen to music doesn't respect that, than there's not enough for "making a living" out of it and we have to change or profession. In a exaggerated view that would lead to no software to steal and no music to listen too.

But that's all VERY off-topic and I tend to get really angry when people start to argue with cracks (even if I [luckily] don't have to make a living out of music anymore).

Eudawg

Post by Eudawg » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:51 am

If you need new plug-ins or features to inspire you then read computer music and future music mag..A ton of producers use Ableton Live period. Plus they have videos on the DVD's to show you how they do there production.

Ableton Rocks! Period!

candy warlos

Post by candy warlos » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:12 pm

toph wrote:I tend to get really angry when people start to argue with cracks (even if I [luckily] don't have to make a living out of music anymore).
I gladly admit that's a very selfish point of view, but that's the logic of survival we're living in. Developers take cracking into account in their business models anyway. I paid for ableton in the first place because the cracks are all unreliable and I couldn't decently work on something else. They were very smart with this.
I'm glad some people pay for my music (which largely covered the ableton upgrades), some others "steal" it, fair enough, I "steal" a lot of music too.… I'm willing to pay for the music only when it has touched me deeply enough to alter my life and become an obsession. That seems to be the case with many other people. That also seems like a fair way to discriminate between artists, because there's more music being produced now than ever before in history (and from my point of view the last decade of music has been the most mediocre and uninteresting one of all)
Sorry for the obvious facts, off-topic, endless debates, etc…

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:12 am

I think there is still a way to "advance" yourself without stealing..

I do not subscribe to the point of view that if many people
(even if "everybody") steal..
then it's allowed..
(though I admit these are morally confusing times)

about the quality of music produced today..
I completely disagree..
the digital age represents a new renaissance in many artforms..
music included..
there is an unprecedented amount of GOOD MUSIC..being released constantly..
(in any case highly subjective to TASTE... although there are all sorts being made)
I mean SERIOUSLY ? you buy something only if it changes your life dramatically...
well.... don't do any friggin favors..
just keep on stealing..
it's a very selfish and twisted point of view.. and won't get you far..
it's just that people(you included) have become too LAZY to even search for good stuff underneath the huge layers of shit music being released..
even though people selling they're music have made very easy for you to listen to it ..
and offer to sell it to you directly..(without you needing to leave your chair)
there's no "filter" now.. music can be released freely..
you don't actually need a "publisher"..

you don't really think there are no good books being made..no good painters/sculptors..
even science and religion aren't constantly evolving..
if there was a time machine would you go back to the 60's to buy records there?
you would probably be still broke.. but without the supernatural ability to steal the music

in short ... I call BS..
you steal... you lie to your self it's for the sake of "survival"..
at the very least don't lie to yourself.
food for thought

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:35 am

3dot, I sing all your posts

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:51 am

8O

just so you'd know..they're made to be sung drunk french-chanson style...

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:51 am

Facial hair on men is fucking disgusting.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

nycmex77

Post by nycmex77 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:22 am

Im going to stick around. But will b using studio one 2 and reason.

toph

Post by toph » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:20 am

3dot, even I decided yesterday not argue with candy warlos any further, because I 'm afraid that there is no chance to show people like him/her(?) that there is something questionably with their point of view... I can't agree more with what you wrote above! This "all for nothing" attitude of the internet era changed the minds of so many people and i still can't follow.

C.