How to change tempo in Midi Drum racks???

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
francisco_ortiz12

How to change tempo in Midi Drum racks???

Post by francisco_ortiz12 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:34 pm

So I chopped up a sample and I want to be able to change the tempo(bpm) for every individual MIDI note? How do I do this? Note: Transpose is not the same as tempo

savyurrecords

Re: How to change tempo in Midi Drum racks???

Post by savyurrecords » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:52 pm

Not sure what you are talking about. A tempo is derived from more than one note. You cannot change the tempo of individual notes as the note itself does not have a tempo but multiple notes strung together do have a tempo.

Maybe give us a specific example of what you need to do. Tempo is easy to change in MIDI world.

francisco_ortiz12

Post by francisco_ortiz12 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:04 pm

Sorry for the confusion but I am referring to a drum loop I sampled from an Al Green song. I warped it so I could be able to loop it, but when i play it I want for the drum loop to be a little slower. I tried a lot of things to try to slow it down including the "transpose" function but it's not what I'm looking for. I know there has to be a way I can do this...

pgmjsd

Post by pgmjsd » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:14 pm

francisco_ortiz12 wrote:Sorry for the confusion but I am referring to a drum loop I sampled from an Al Green song. I warped it so I could be able to loop it, but when i play it I want for the drum loop to be a little slower. I tried a lot of things to try to slow it down including the "transpose" function but it's not what I'm looking for. I know there has to be a way I can do this...
Change the tempo of the set (upper left part of the screen)? I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:49 pm

To change the speed of a single sample (that is, changing the length of it), warp it and mess with "Seg. BPM" until it's at desired speed. You can change the warping type to suit your sample best.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:23 pm

I get what your problem is. When you slice a loop into a drum rack all the timing information is lost. Your options are:
Use clips instead
Investigate timestretching in sampler or max 4 live or any other sampler you have
Bounce the loop to audio at the right tempo and then slice to midi.

With dummy clips and iac/midi yoke style routing you could have a drum rack that fires clips... Option 3 is what I do in general.

francisco_ortiz12

Post by francisco_ortiz12 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:17 pm

oddstep wrote:I get what your problem is. When you slice a loop into a drum rack all the timing information is lost. Your options are:
Use clips instead
Investigate timestretching in sampler or max 4 live or any other sampler you have
Bounce the loop to audio at the right tempo and then slice to midi.

With dummy clips and iac/midi yoke style routing you could have a drum rack that fires clips... Option 3 is what I do in general.
This wasexactly what I was asking. Thank you for your response.

ColdMbrace

Post by ColdMbrace » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:29 pm

savyurrecords wrote:Not sure what you are talking about. A tempo is derived from more than one note. You cannot change the tempo of individual notes as the note itself does not have a tempo but multiple notes strung together do have a tempo.

Maybe give us a specific example of what you need to do. Tempo is easy to change in MIDI world.
First off, not everyone is as well-versed as you with this software, so tone down the smug just a notch, will ya? If you don't have something helpful to say, don't comment.

ColdMbrace

Post by ColdMbrace » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:32 pm

Komodovaran wrote:To change the speed of a single sample (that is, changing the length of it), warp it and mess with "Seg. BPM" until it's at desired speed. You can change the warping type to suit your sample best.

Thank you for the image. It gives perspective and doesn't assume we know anything about the software. Which I don't. I have the software, a few manuals I can barely make sense of, and a guitar shop that holds an introductory workshop once every couple months. I am VERY, VERY frustrated at this point, as you can imagine.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:24 pm

ColdMbrace wrote:
savyurrecords wrote:Not sure what you are talking about. A tempo is derived from more than one note. You cannot change the tempo of individual notes as the note itself does not have a tempo but multiple notes strung together do have a tempo.

First off, not everyone is as well-versed as you with this software, so tone down the smug just a notch, will ya? If you don't have something helpful to say, don't comment.
It would seem you're the one who are ill-versed even providing the relevant info on what you wanted in the first place. We're not mind readers nor are we your personal help desk. Get over it.
Make some music!