Geez, Ableton 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3dot...

Re: Geez, Ableton 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by 3dot... » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:13 pm

yeah..I might be a bit touchy on the subject..
because constant crashes are not cool ..
especially on a program that's titled "Live"..and ESPECIALLY during a session+ ...
the software was clearly not ready...
and beta ended abruptly..without fixes to ongoing issues..
nevermind man..I'm over it..really..
and 8.2.5..is quite solid for me..
(in relation to other versions)
about the promises..an empty promise = unfulfilled promise..
Last edited by 3dot... on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

strode420

Post by strode420 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:18 pm

Qualification - this is just a rumor....

Someone who's opinion i trust and i consider in "the know" just got back from NAMM and said Ableton 9 is OVER A YEAR OUT STILL.

Again, no confirmation or evidence or official statements, but that timeframe isn't surprising given the silence we've seen. I wouldn't be surprised if they're waiting for BWS to drop and then poach anything they didn't think of themselves before beta/release.

I also love conjecture and speculation :)
Imac 27" 3.4ghz i7 16gb 10.7.4
MBP 15" 2.16ghz CoreDuo 2gb 10.6.8
Logic 9.1.7 & Suite 8.2.7 w/ M4L
MOTU 828mkII firewire
Serato SL3, (2) 1200 M3D's & (1) CDJ800 w/ Ecler Evo4
Keystation 88 Pro, padKontrol w/ Farmpad, Launchpad

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:28 pm

my friend saw Live 9 at the grocery store.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:32 pm

vaporware... they're gonna go straight to 11..

Nicknackerski

Post by Nicknackerski » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:46 pm

ark wrote:I don't know whether you remember this, but a couple of years ago, the CEO of Ableton posted a message in this forum that he felt his company had disappointed his customers by releaseing a product (Live 8, of course) with so many bugs that many customers found it unusable. As a result, he said, he was ceasing all work on new features and overhauling the development process until Live was stable enough that he could feel proud of it again.

I commented at the time that this move took a lot of courage, but it was the right thing to do. Many companies in a similar situation would have tried to muddle through, and my experience in the software development world is that such muddling usually doesn't work.

Since then, Live has become much more reliable. If I imagine what the Ableton folks must be thinking, foremost in my imagination is that idea that they do not want to repeat this particular mistake. In particular, I'm confident that they must be thinking that when they release Live 9, they do not want the first customer response to be to complain about how buggy it is. As a result, it does not surprise me in the least that Live 9 is taking longer than people expect.
Ha, April 2009 until now to fix bugs?

ionic

Post by ionic » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:48 pm

Ableton Colorado claims on his Facebook that Ableton 9 is a year or more out. via Huston

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:55 pm

well fuck it, it's better to think it'll be another year and see it come out before that than vice versa.
ImageImage

taoyoyo

Post by taoyoyo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:59 pm

H20nly wrote:my friend saw Live 9 at the grocery store.
Is your friend Elvis?
http://taoyoyo.com

Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro | 10.8.4 | RME Babyface

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:00 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if they're waiting for BWS to drop and then poach anything they didn't think of themselves before beta/release.
That's not how software development works, especially not for a program with as much complexity and interrlatedness of parts as Live

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:11 pm

Nicknackerski wrote:
ark wrote:I don't know whether you remember this, but a couple of years ago, the CEO of Ableton posted a message in this forum that he felt his company had disappointed his customers by releaseing a product (Live 8, of course) with so many bugs that many customers found it unusable. As a result, he said, he was ceasing all work on new features and overhauling the development process until Live was stable enough that he could feel proud of it again.

I commented at the time that this move took a lot of courage, but it was the right thing to do. Many companies in a similar situation would have tried to muddle through, and my experience in the software development world is that such muddling usually doesn't work.

Since then, Live has become much more reliable. If I imagine what the Ableton folks must be thinking, foremost in my imagination is that idea that they do not want to repeat this particular mistake. In particular, I'm confident that they must be thinking that when they release Live 9, they do not want the first customer response to be to complain about how buggy it is. As a result, it does not surprise me in the least that Live 9 is taking longer than people expect.
What bugs are holding you back? It seems to run well for most in both production and live environments since 8.25.

strode420

Post by strode420 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:12 pm

agent314 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if they're waiting for BWS to drop and then poach anything they didn't think of themselves before beta/release.
That's not how software development works, especially not for a program with as much complexity and interrlatedness of parts as Live
Like i said, i like conjecture lol. (but i know nothing of coding and software development, so i'm sure you're accurate).

edit - and i wasn't going to name names, but it looks like ionic just did.
Imac 27" 3.4ghz i7 16gb 10.7.4
MBP 15" 2.16ghz CoreDuo 2gb 10.6.8
Logic 9.1.7 & Suite 8.2.7 w/ M4L
MOTU 828mkII firewire
Serato SL3, (2) 1200 M3D's & (1) CDJ800 w/ Ecler Evo4
Keystation 88 Pro, padKontrol w/ Farmpad, Launchpad

Nicknackerski

Post by Nicknackerski » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:15 pm

ionic wrote:Ableton Colorado claims on his Facebook that Ableton 9 is a year or more out. via Huston
Consider the cat well and truly amongst the pigeons.

That leaves a whole year for other software manufacturers to steal abletons customers :twisted:

kb420

Post by kb420 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:17 pm

Lot of BITCHIN' and MOANIN' goin' on here!!!!
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Nicknackerski

Post by Nicknackerski » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:27 pm

skatr2 wrote:
Nicknackerski wrote:

What bugs are holding you back? It seems to run well for most in both production and live environments since 8.25.
What a great time to ask :lol:
I got a crash last night on simply dragging a sample from Finder into the Session window.
The Restore feature from undo didn't work, instead taking me back to about half an hour previous.
I Lost work because i didn't command+S every 30 seconds. (8.2.7 Crash recorded and sent to ableton BTW)
Who knows if it was ableton or Lion, Plugin, just bad luck.

My point is there'll always be new bugs as upgrades occur, is live going to stay at 8 forever because of this?

gjm

Post by gjm » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:34 pm

Nicknackerski wrote:That leaves a whole year for other software manufacturers to steal abletons customers :twisted:
Most people are fundamentally not that loyal. Although there are some around who do not have a second or third DAW on their computer, most can make their way around more than just Live. I would say for the majority, Live is an option they have or choose when they need it. Even if they did move onto another DAW as first choice, then most would hold onto their Live license rather than sell out of curiosity. Ableton know that most of their customers are already other companies customers.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller