It's back up your projects day

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rave

It's back up your projects day

Post by Rave » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:39 am

Muffin says "computers can be replaced but your work can't, back up your projects regularly."

Every month Muffin will remind you to back up if you haven't already.

Muffin likes blueberry muffins so much it has turned him a shade of blue

Do as muffin does and back up today.

Spread the word :mrgreen:

Komodovaran

Re: It's back up your projects day

Post by Komodovaran » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:56 am

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:25 pm

Funny, it was exactly my plan today. (the backup, not the weed)
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Rave

Post by Rave » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:36 pm

Nice one Mr Fou :mrgreen:

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks for the reminder! It's been a few weeks since the last backup. :oops:

botstein

Post by botstein » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:34 pm

Thank you so much for reminding me!
ttilberg wrote: "Hey, Live isn't just for DJs checkin' their email, or Expiremental Dave at the astronomy theater."

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:02 pm

Words to live by:

1. "It's not if a hard drive is going to fail, it's when."
All hard drives will eventually fail.

2. "Data does not really exist unless it's in two different places."
Store a copy in another house, cloud storage, etc. If your studio goes up in smoke while you're away, your data is preserved in the offsite copy.

8)

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:50 am

actually the adage is you need 3 copies, coz then you still have a backup if one copy goes kaput.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:56 am

I use Time machine on OSX, but on the weekend my son ploughed in and unplugged everything from my macbook and then my HD wouldn't mount. Eventually it worked again, but it gave me a momentary jolt. Would have sucked to lose a TB of data and I don't have anything else of that size.... so now I'm thinking I need TWO ext HDs of over 1TB

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:43 am

I have watched plenty of people loose projects over the years and have come close a number of times. But I can gloat that I still have every single piece of information from the first track I created back in 1996. I have had a few very close calls including a damaged SATA lead that shorted on the case of my studio PC along with a 12v cable and fried 3 hard drives and DVD rom drive. Still I lost nothing but time.

I don't trust myself to make backups so I have a simple batch script running on a server that does this automatically every time a machine comes online. I backup my samples, software, projects and then make 6 month mirror backups of the OS as well so a failure will be resolved in about 2 hours.

One thing I would stress to anyone with important information is to not just back shit up, test it as well. I don't trust even the system I have in place and also make external backups of my server drives to external drives. Again, this is pretty automated and requires me to simply slide in one of 9 hard drives to a USB caddy and it does the rest.

At the end of every year I format my main hard drives and re-load a previous backup to get rid of some of the crap I have installed and test my OS backups (Acronis is great for simple backups here). Again, so far no issues or lost data to date.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:58 am

don't trust the cloud. anyone using megaupload for saving/backups online?

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:18 am

just to counter BTW - one thing I have learned over the years is that in terms of my original music the good stuff is the stuff that can be recreated because it is not totally reliant on all the things you can save in a project.

in other words, good songs could be played on a shitty ukelele if needs be.

I'm less concerned these days about saving every stupid little idea I have, because a fair percentage of them are bollocks anyway. The really good ones can all be played on the guitar. But even the ones that are purely electronic usually are based around a couple of good ideas that can be recreated.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:34 am

i wish all my shit would just get washed away, that would unburden me of finishing them

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:17 am

Forge. wrote:just to counter BTW - one thing I have learned over the years is that in terms of my original music the good stuff is the stuff that can be recreated because it is not totally reliant on all the things you can save in a project.

I'm less concerned these days about saving every stupid little idea I have, because a fair percentage of them are bollocks anyway. The really good ones can all be played on the guitar. But even the ones that are purely electronic usually are based around a couple of good ideas that can be recreated.

deep. excellent point

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:24 am

bartend7 wrote:
Forge. wrote:just to counter BTW - one thing I have learned over the years is that in terms of my original music the good stuff is the stuff that can be recreated because it is not totally reliant on all the things you can save in a project.

deep. excellent point
that's right, but what is with the 100 + hours I spent on building a liveset for this theatre production? I can recall lots of ideas, but it would be a big hassle to recreate them at the day of the show if someone stole my laptop...

shit, I have to do a backup of this project, last backup is from december ....