Can't pan a mono audio track?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jeagon

Can't pan a mono audio track?

Post by jeagon » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:35 pm

Hi all, I have Live 6.0 (I'm too broke to upgrade) for widows xp and an M-Audio 1010lt soundcard. I'm having an issue with panning a mono track after recording. If it comes in on ch.1 as mono, it shows a single wave in the track view, but whe I go to session view and try to pan, there is no "movement" of the signal from one side to the other. This is the same for all inputs and all tracks are set to external in and just a singular input- i.e. "1" not "1/2". Never had this problem before, it just kinda came out of nowhere. Any help???

Komodovaran

Re: Can't pan a mono audio track?

Post by Komodovaran » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:09 pm

You can't pan mono. That's why it's mono. Mono means there's no left/right, only... mono.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:13 pm

You can tweak the pan knob but the signal doesn't move between speakers? What effects do you have on the track? Are you using any sends?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:31 pm

Additionally, try and refrain from posting the exact same question in multiple threads... This forum is full enough of garbage as it is.

jeagon

Post by jeagon » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:57 pm

yeah, sorry 'bout the double post. It's a dry signal. No fx, plugins,etc. I've recorded in the past in mono (i.e. guitars, bass and mics are a MONO out signal) and had no problems panning the track to the left or right, but now it stays in the center regardless of pan knob position.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:07 pm

yeh normally you can pan a mono track

if you need that particular rec i suppose you could easily workaround (though not true stereo of course)

does 6 the Utility plugin? try dropping one on and panning w that

or group that single mono track and use the pan on the group
Last edited by simmerdown on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeagon

Post by jeagon » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:23 pm

thanks simmerdown, I'll have to check on the utility option when I get to practice in a bit. I'll et you know. I did consider working around through a effect or plugin of some sort. Just don't know why it's an issue all of a sudden. Thanks again.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:47 am

Komodovaran wrote:You can't pan mono. That's why it's mono. Mono means there's no left/right, only... mono.
yeah ok.
someone forgot to do his homework again..

Samaritan Sound

Post by Samaritan Sound » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:27 am

friend_kami wrote:
Komodovaran wrote:You can't pan mono. That's why it's mono. Mono means there's no left/right, only... mono.
yeah ok.
someone forgot to do his homework again..
Lol!

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:24 am

Funny post! Stop producing! :D
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:55 am

jeagon wrote:thanks simmerdown, I'll have to check on the utility option when I get to practice in a bit. I'll et you know. I did consider working around through a effect or plugin of some sort. Just don't know why it's an issue all of a sudden. Thanks again.
you can try going into the recordings folder of the project and dragging it to a new track too, maybe just a glitch-o-the-day, lol

jeagon

Post by jeagon » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:02 am

So here's what I figured out. Most of you are idiots who would rather be smart a$$es instead of actually helping out a fellow musician. I came here looking for honest answers and this is what gets posted back? WHY is it so hard to expalain to me how or why a single mono track cannot be sent to just the left side of the mix or just the right side of the mix? I didn't think this was anything new in the world of recording / produciing. To the few of you who attempted to help, thank you, you should move on to a forum where the average user is one willing to help rather than criticised.

Simmerdown- I had the glitch o the day theory too, no luck. Thanks

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:40 am

dont sweat it jeagon, you are running the wet noodle guantlet, everyone gets a turn, lol

Samaritan Sound

Post by Samaritan Sound » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:24 am

I only saw one smartass post that may have been directed at you (but not even sure about that one), so I'm not sure why you're worked up. I can't speak to the version of Live you're using, but the reason no one has a good answer for you is that there is no logical reason that should happen. Mono tracks panned to center output equally to left and right channels. You absolutely should be able to slew that around wherever you like. Being that this is a sudden development for you, I'd think you've got some queer-trons either in Live, or your project file (or an elf came lastnight and had a go at your jackfield). No clue on how you might track down the source.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:31 am

jeagon wrote:So here's what I figured out. Most of you are idiots who would rather be smart a$$es instead of actually helping out a fellow musician. I came here looking for honest answers and this is what gets posted back? WHY is it so hard to expalain to me how or why a single mono track cannot be sent to just the left side of the mix or just the right side of the mix? I didn't think this was anything new in the world of recording / produciing. To the few of you who attempted to help, thank you, you should move on to a forum where the average user is one willing to help rather than criticised.

Simmerdown- I had the glitch o the day theory too, no luck. Thanks
i am trying to help you by pointing out how wrong he was.

you're welcome.