a MIDI keyboard with pads and REAL endless rotary encoders?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ansiaaa

a MIDI keyboard with pads and REAL endless rotary encoders?

Post by ansiaaa » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:05 am

hi,
one year ago I bought an Akai MPK49, believing it could be everything I needed in one controller for when I play with Live live (on stage :P), but it has a few major flaws:
- the pads suck = I had to repair them with some DIY ability and now they work ok
- the endless rotary encoders sends absolute values (0..127) and not decremental/incremental values (-1/+1)

the problem that bothers me the most is the latter, and the only workaround is to do this in Ableton Live:
OPTIONS -> PREFERENCES -> MIDI Sync -> Takeover Mode: Value Scaling

note this: the MPK line can send dec/inc values, but only when working in NRPN mode, which Ableton Live doesn't support.

so my question:
does anybody know any good USB/MIDI keyboard with pads, faders and endless rotary encoders that works IN ABLETON LIVE as dec/inc?
or if not a keyboard, a controller with pads, faders and the endless rotary knobs.

PLEASE ONLY answer if you have that keyboard/controller or you know FOR SURE!
as I said I already know the Value Scaling workaround, but I don't want to do that, I want an actual controller with dec/inc endless rotary knobs

thanks in advance!

mariner

Re: a MIDI keyboard with pads and REAL endless rotary encoders?

Post by mariner » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:04 pm

bump!

molengat1

Post by molengat1 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:36 am

I have had several disappointments in the midi controller dept. I have used the CME UF5, the Alesis QX61 and Novation Impulse and have either sold or returned all of them. The only controller that I have used with little or no issue with Ableton was the M-Audio Axiom. And the only reason I got rid of that is because it was too small (I had the 25 key). Most recently I tried the Alesis QX61 but it was horrible in almost every way. I plan on getting Axiom 61 because I know it will work out of the box
Hope this helps

dburns

Post by dburns » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:00 pm

I recently bought the M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. It has all you described, and it is wonderful.

It includes a Hyper Control template for Ableton Live. Amazing!

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/AxiomPro61.html
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA

More equipment than skill.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:17 pm

I have an Axiom (first gen) as well, and it does have all the things you are asking for. The one major issue I have with it (maybe they've changed this in the new edition) is the way they designed it to click at each value, so if you are doing anything other than a minor little bump in value (sweeps and the like) it makes this awful grating chkchkchckchkchck sound. I usually just use the endless encoders on my DJ interface, as they turn smoothly, without clicks.

Szuumm

Post by Szuumm » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:40 pm

antarktika wrote:I have an Axiom (first gen)... The one major issue I have with it (maybe they've changed this in the new edition) is the way they designed it to click at each value,
Yeah, I was going to say this too. Horrible.

4 of my drum pads also stopped working for no particular reason, which seemed to be a relatively common fault. Again, might be fixed in the updated versions.

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:43 pm

my first gen axiom 25 has the "blue screen of death" problem. i loved this controller until it stopped working for no reason. dont get one.

dburns

Post by dburns » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:19 pm

I recommended the Axiom PRO, not the 1st generation Axiom. See the link in my post.

It has a great keyboard feel, true non-clicking endless rotary encoders, good pads, and the integration with Live through Hyper Control is as smooth as my APC40 (although each unit has its own uses).

I have read complaints about earlier Axioms, but they've upped their game with the Pro line.

And, because it's three years old, and M-Audio has been sold off from Avid, there are some good prices at the big retailers if you shop around. I found a great price at B&H, and Guitar Center matched it.
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA

dburns

Post by dburns » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:21 pm

bartend7 wrote:my first gen axiom 25 has the "blue screen of death" problem. i loved this controller until it stopped working for no reason. dont get one.
Blue screens are usually caused by a driver issue. The keyboard has nothing to do with it. Just make sure you have the latest driver for your operating system.
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA