Studio Mixer / Controller for Ableton with RME UCX

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jtdj

Studio Mixer / Controller for Ableton with RME UCX

Post by jtdj » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:36 pm

Hi I've just bought the RME UCX and was wondering on getting a mixer / controller for controlling both ableton and total fx. Anyone have any recomendations one The interface hasnt arrived yet but was also wondering if I had a mixer would you put the microphone XLR into the mixer and out to the the audio interface or just plug directly into the interface as it already has great preamps? Then could you control the level using the mixer or would this have to be done via MIDI? Would the controller control both Total FX and Ableton if the channels were routed together?

nuxnamon

Re: Studio Mixer / Controller for Ableton with RME UCX

Post by nuxnamon » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:48 pm

i use total mix but although with a RME FF800.. Honestly, I control everything within the DAW and rarely touch the levels in total mix unless i wanted to change routing.. I have a mackie MCU but i've never tried using it to control total mix for the reasons stated above but i believe TotalMix supports Mackie protocol.. but for me, all level changes and mixing is done via DAW.. I believe total mix can be used for for mixing and balance if your not running a DAW and maybe using it in some live venue, then i can see using a controller

depending on the mixer, preamps can vary off course.. if your talking about mixers like for DJing or Live sound like mackie, i'd say stick with the preamps fromn the UCX..