OS9 or OSX ?????

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
teddy atlas

OS9 or OSX ?????

Post by teddy atlas » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:27 am

hello

Which operating system would run faster with my setup running live

I have a 900mhz G3 768mb of ram

should I use OSX or OS9? Im not too concerned with being able to use the newest vst plugins etc, I just want live to run as fast as possible. Which OS is the least processor hungry? I know OSX uses up more ram.
any suggestions

Thanks
Teddy

sqook

Post by sqook » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:52 am

OS9 is like the Windows 98 of the mac world, IMO. It was a good single-user OS that was fine for several years, but it's ridiculously antiquated by now.

I think you'll find that OSX is much faster and much more usable than OS9, not to mention the fact that apple has quit supporting OS9. OSX is a much more efficient operating system than OS9, and although it does use more memory, it's based on BSD so it's better at using thath memory efficiently.

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:29 am

here's what i know:

os9 vs. osx.0 - os9 smokes osx.0 hands down for just about everything.
osx.0 vs. osx.1 - osx.1 seemed a bit faster than osx.0
osx.1 vs. osx.2 - osx.2 was substantially quicker with graphics and more cpu efficient with live.
osx.2 vs. osx.3 - osx.3 seemed a bit faster than osx.2

so, we lost a lot of power between os9 and osx.0, but every release since then has recouped ground on cpu efficiency. i don't know how os9 compares to osx.3 though. i can definitely say that once apple got coreaudio and and coremidi to not suck balls with x.2, the all around computing experience of the latest os more than makes up for any cpu boost you might see with os9. the only reason i would use os9, is if you plan on using your machine for nothing other than live; no email, no web, no nothing, just live, and even then it's a stretch as to whether it would be worth it (lack of drivers for stuff, os doesn't handle crashes as well, none of the latest greatest plugs and utilities).

i was pretty die hard os9 for a while, but i finally switched over once and for all with osx.2, and was only really superhappy when it went to osx.3.

i dunno, do whatever.

k

acidpimp

Post by acidpimp » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:30 am

from the perspective of a PC user who bought a mac laptop:

os9 seemed really jankey, especially in how it handled midi. using oms really, really sucked.

osx seemed better, but lacked backwards compatability, so I was stuck using os9 for a year or two until more software was available for osX.

now- going back to os9 on my laptop sounds as appealing as going back to DOS on my PC. don't do it. and if you do, i commend you for being that hardcore.
WoW Zul'jin

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:09 am

Go with OS X if you can..... sooner or later, all apps are going to be OS X only.

OS 9 will run snappier on your Mac, though.[/list]