Somewhat Disappointed with ProjectSam Orchestra

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
crumhorn

Re: Disappointed with ProjectSam Orchestra Ensembel (but there i

Post by crumhorn » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:48 pm

theophilus wrote:how does the 'woodwind-staccato perc'? and the 'string low ensemble - piano'? are they 'mixed', and so inseperable, or can they be played separately somewhat?
They are made from layered samplers with macro controls for mixing between.

Thanks for asking the question because I didn't realize there was a xylophone sample in there. The piano sample isn't very exciting though, only the bottom octave and a bit.

Also I take back my earlier remark about the demos being misleading, those piano bass notes and orchestral percussion sounds I heard were probably from these patches after all.

Seems strange they are not mentioned in the product description.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

neyko

Post by neyko » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:31 pm

I think the product is satisfactory but not for the price. Even $50 would be a bit steep.
I really think it is better to save your pennies and get ProjectSam Orchestra Essentials

ProjectSAM is excited to announce Orchestral Essentials - the essence of film scoring. Orchestral Essentials will boost your film composer career at an unbeatable price.

ProjectSAM has carefully selected the essentials from each of their products, including the highly praised Symphobia series, True Strike series and Orchestral Brass Classic, and bundled them into one effective, incredibly versatile package. Moreover, new instruments not found in any other ProjectSAM products have been included.

Covering full orchestra, string, brass and woodwind ensembles, classical and world percussion, Orchestral Essentials gives you the right ammo to start scoring for film, games or pop with the acclaimed "cinematic SAM sound". For each of the orchestral sections, an essential list of articulations is available, as well as one expressive legato instrument and an inspiring set of clusters, textures and effects. Apart from these orchestral elements, you will also find a concert harp, church organ, ProjectSAM's renowned Dystopia sound design, and, exclusive to Orchestral Essentials, an enchanting grand piano and harpsichord.

All samples have been reprogrammed for the newly designed and intuitive Orchestral Essentials interface. All Multis are completely new and, because of the inclusion of piano, harpsichord and harp, are more inspiring than ever before. This makes Orchestral Essentials a fantastic library for first-time SAM users and existing SAM owners alike.

Orchestral Essentials follows ProjectSAM's ensemble recording philosophy. Strings, brass and woodwinds were sampled as sections, as nothing beats the authentic blend of orchestral instruments in a concert hall. ProjectSAM captures this magic in various orchestrations; for example, imagine the noble sound of horns and trombones performing together naturally.

Back in 2002, ProjectSAM set the benchmark for ambient recording and affordability with the release of SAM Horns. Now, ProjectSAM does it again with Orchestral Essentials.
Live 8 Suite iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo 2GB RAM & Macbook - 4gig RAM - Snow Leopard OS X - 2.4 Ghz - Apogee Duet - M-Audio Oxygen 49 - M-Audio 88es - Akai APC 40, Focusrite Saffire Firewire

tony stone

Post by tony stone » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:06 am

I can attest that it was a bit misleading. I had the "oh...that's it??" effect when I saw that there were limited sounds. There were loop phrases in there that I didn't expect (was expecting more play-ability). However, the sounds were amazing that were there. Very realistic. You just can't rely on these for everything orchestral. You'll still need to pair it with other stuff, but paired up, you can do some serious damage. If I had to pick between this and philharmonic, philharmonic all the way.

c33

Post by c33 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:42 am

Even $50 would be a bit steep.
No, that would be a steal ;)

99 dollars for these samples is a great deal.

neyko

Post by neyko » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:24 pm

Well, as usual Ableton addressed my concern in a great way.

Man, I love this company.
Live 8 Suite iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo 2GB RAM & Macbook - 4gig RAM - Snow Leopard OS X - 2.4 Ghz - Apogee Duet - M-Audio Oxygen 49 - M-Audio 88es - Akai APC 40, Focusrite Saffire Firewire

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:48 pm

Here's a track I made using the Legato Strings and Legato Brass sections -> http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=177248

</shamelesscrosspost>
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:49 pm

c33 wrote:I've heard the samples for NI's Session Strings -it's $119- and this collection blows it out of the water.

Totally worth the price.
nice
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

neyko

Post by neyko » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:56 pm

I am happy with the strings in EIC - but I find I may have judged the collection too soon.

The reason?
Failure to adjust characteristics like attack, release and tremolo.

There may be more here than I originally realized.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:02 am

c33 wrote:I've heard the samples for NI's Session Strings -it's $119- and this collection blows it out of the water.

Totally worth the price.
It's really apple and oranges. Sessions String are strings and a small library at that. A true orchestra library is huge and expensive other than Garritan Personal Orchestra and Kirk Hunter's Diamond. IK's Miroslav Philharminc is another affordable library.