There will be no v9.0

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Macrostructure

There will be no v9.0

Post by Macrostructure » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:45 am

As an alternative take on this situation, perhaps the following pertains....

Live is now a mature product. As such, adding significantly 'more' will just lead to bloat. Some would say we are there already and the original concept peaked as early as v3.0.
The 'version bandwagon' is actually a negative thing for users and developers, sucking resources away from quality and stability efforts and into creating newness for it's profile and revenue-raising potential. This doesn't always work.
Ableton now have a new business model based on diversification, content, education programmes, stability and quality rather than periodic major version releases.
If they were reliant on new version releases for revenue they would have gone bust by now, so it's clearly not a necessary part of the business model.

Good luck to them I say :D

My 2p worth.

ms

i3igTripplets

Re: There will be no v9.0

Post by i3igTripplets » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:14 am

So do you think these .1 upgrades will be incremental charges or they just start charging people for how-to's?
I'll take the latter! :D

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:29 am

I think they are managing to grow the business from other revenue streams combined and will just update the core software for free from now on with existing customers able to buy significant add-ons if they want. Basically what they have done for the last 2+ years.
Last edited by Macrostructure on Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:29 am

They'll introduce a whole new concept: Ableton Dead 1.0
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

i3igTripplets

Post by i3igTripplets » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:45 am

Macrostructure wrote:I think they are managing to grow the business from other revenue streams combined and will just update the core software for free from now on with existing customers able to buy significant add-ons if they want. Basically what they have done for the last 2+ years.
I wish thats what they've been doing for the last two years. Its really been bugfixes and a few live packs all this time. Anyone who doesn't want to pay for significant addons is still using Live 6 or previous while everyone else who is willing to pay for them is using Live8, and wants to pay for Live9.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:05 pm

LeifonMars wrote:They'll introduce a whole new concept: Ableton Dead 1.0
this is what I think is going on

It will only allow you to make metal and dubstep with metal leanings.

if I was in any way graphics savvy I would have somehow added the ableton logo for the sake of the one or two mild internet smirks it might have provoked that would make me feel mildly internet funny.

tigali

Post by tigali » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:25 pm

I think there are a couple of things that need a complete overhaul and if that doesn't merit a new version then I don't know what does. The Live browser needs to be completely redesigned. It's far too slow to be really functional in a live performance situation. Also, clip/scene launching could do with a rethink. It's far too limited at this point. The fact that scene launches can not be mapped to only certain clips or goups of clips in a scene requires a lot of planning. Again, not really suitable for thinking on the fly. I also think that a Hide function would make life a lot easier. The amount of times I have tracks on my screen that I really don't want or need to be looking at really frustrates me at times. Screen real estate is precious, taking it up with stuff I don't need to be able to see is really getting in the way.
Basically, if there's no Live 9, then I'm not sure these features will seriously be looked at and that would be a bummer.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:02 pm

In the email they sent out they are looking for tons of different people to fill jobs.

The one I found interesting was that they were looking to help with linux. Looks like they might be doing a bit of copying themselves.
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:22 pm

There will be a Live 9.

Adding more of the right things will lead to a better user experience. i.e. the most popular requests. I hardly consider Live mature and bloated, more like growing into a streamlined version.

easemeister

Post by easemeister » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:31 pm

We should wait for Frankfurt Musikmesse... Maybe IMO....