Is speaker popping dangerous, or just an unpleasant sound?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Komodovaran

Is speaker popping dangerous, or just an unpleasant sound?

Post by Komodovaran » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:19 pm

If I turn my computer on/off without turning off my monitors first, they make this loud pop/crack.

Is this "bad" for the monitors, or is it just because the soundcard sends out some sort of discharge that results in a pop, when it loses the powered USB connection?

8O

Re: Is speaker popping dangerous, or just an unpleasant sound?

Post by 8O » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:44 pm

Unless your speakers have some protection circuitry to limit the transients, then yes, it can damage your speakers.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:46 pm

No No! If you keep on popping they will produce nice crisp "popcorn" nothing bad about popcorn! 8)
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Shouldn't semi-expensive monitors be less prone to dying from this? They're Adam A7X.

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:27 pm

Just turn your speakers off first. And yes, it's very bad for your speakers.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:22 pm

Punky921 wrote:Just turn your speakers off first. And yes, it's very bad for your speakers.
I'm a lazy asshole and use my rack power conditioner to turn everything on at once. There's a thump, but it's not very loud.
Am I slowly destroying my monitors? Do you have any further information?

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:24 pm

the_planet wrote:
Punky921 wrote: Am I slowly destroying my monitors?
Yes, you do.

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:26 pm

the_planet wrote:
Punky921 wrote:Just turn your speakers off first. And yes, it's very bad for your speakers.
I'm a lazy asshole and use my rack power conditioner to turn everything on at once. There's a thump, but it's not very loud.
Don't be a lazy asshole unless you want to spend money on new speakers soon.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:29 pm

in the olden days I was told that the thump is the amp going briefly DC as it shuts down, it pulls the coil back, then the cap discharges and fires the coil to the end of its travel.

the reason this was given as being bad was in normal use the coil is held in magnetic tension, it rarely hits the end of its travel (clipped speaker) without resistance.

In reality I bet a large cone is resilient enough to handle a few hundred firings to the end of its travel, but I'd be a bit more concerned about ribbon tweeters getting a burst of DC. Personally I turn my monitors off, and then everything else because that noise makes me wince, regardless of whatever the truth of the matter!

There are circuits available to shunt the current away from the cone on amp shutdown, but if you are hearing a 'pooom!' , then you haven't got one.

Note: my info is 'pre-internet', in that it comes from one of those dudes who used to hang around studios fixing stuff, but never being quite clear enough about his explanations. That's what it was like in the olden days kids.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:45 pm

That makes sense. I've been a lazy asshole for years, but haven't ever killed any monitors. I'll stop doing it anyway. :)

divonic

Post by divonic » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:02 pm

I got something similar to one of these:

each switch corresponds to a outlet (socket) on the back. I plug it into my Power conditioner and I turn things on in order; last on and first off is always the monitors. First on and Last off is always the power conditioner.

Vios

Post by Vios » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:43 pm

Depends on how loud it is. If it's "loud" then yes it's something you should guard against. I also have Adam A7X's and I get a medium-low volume pop when I turn my computer on and off while they're on. I'd estimate the volume to be about 50dBA. The sensitivity of typical loudspeakers is 90DB/1W. Doing quick math, that means my speakers are receiving about 1/10000W for 1/2 of a second. The speakers are rated for 150W continuous RMS, so that means they're receiving approximately 1/1500000 W of their continuous AC RMS rating. Yes it's DC current, but I can't imagine the 1/2 second DC withstand current rating of the speakers being less than 1/100th of the continuous AC rating. Probably way more analysis here than needed :mrgreen:

For me, I feel comfortable having my monitors on and turning my computer on and off. I have had my monitors for more than year and they're functioning great. If it was much louder I wouldn't do this. I do feel it's always good to practice 'better safe than sorry' when it comes to your equipment.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:59 pm

the_planet wrote:
Yes! But only slowly dying! :lol:
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

synnack

Post by synnack » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:12 am

You guys turn your stuff off ever? Interesting.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

2be

Post by 2be » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:27 am

I had my KRK Rokit G2 6" studio monitors repaired twice because they were turned on/off in the wrong order.
(Was actually my girlfriend once and my brother another time, I of course take care of my babies!)
They are not the most expensive speakers, so maybe they are more prone to break, but I really wouldn't take a chance either way!

I have a remote control button on my table nex to my keyboard linked up to my monitors and sound interface. Easy to press and it's nice to have a failsafe option if you ever get some nasty loud signal (happended to me one time when I was experimenting with feedback loops in Live and turned up the send just a little bit too much... I didn't even know my monitors could go so loud that the furniture starts to shake. Happy I didn't took any hearing damage from it!)
And I don't think you can guess the damage of such a signal. You might only hear a tiny bit of the actual signal. I have no sources for this, but I'm pretty sure there could be some nasty ultralow or superhigh frequencies.