VST Tuner

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rhythmaker

VST Tuner

Post by rhythmaker » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:20 am

if your looking for a free vst tuner untill ableton finally includes one ( not easy to find a good one ) , I recomend TuneIt ! http://tuneit.free.fr/Site/Home.html its not nearly as jumpy as most others... just put it on your armed track or right on the master track for easy accsess from all inputs 8)

simmerdown

Re: VST Tuner

Post by simmerdown » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:37 am

no doubt...i have one on every track except the master though

rhythmaker

Post by rhythmaker » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:36 pm

Yea if you are recording a group and everybodys got their own track everybody can tune at anytime... by myself i just put it on the master and i can tune from any track using one plugin ...great little tuner

Acid303

Post by Acid303 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:51 pm

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:47 pm

rhythmaker wrote:if your looking for a free vst tuner untill ableton finally includes one ( not easy to find a good one ) , I recomend TuneIt ! http://tuneit.free.fr/Site/Home.html its not nearly as jumpy as most others... just put it on your armed track or right on the master track for easy accsess from all inputs 8)
Not x64 though.

Snark. I've given up on software tuners for the most part.

BTW, haven't we (the abelton community) been asking for a tuner since forever?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:08 am

eyeknow wrote:
nope.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... -5-player/

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:27 am

3dot... wrote:
eyeknow wrote:
nope.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... -5-player/
No, I'm pretty sure they have.

infinitesinewave

Post by infinitesinewave » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:31 pm

So frustrating... need a tuner... I get so pissed off at people who hate on 432. If people want to tune to 432... let them tune to 432! ABLETON... MAKE A GLOBAL TUNING CONTROL LIKE ALL OTHER DAWS!!!

8S

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:54 pm

A number of us asked for it a long time ago, but I think we have given up. I don't think that any of the guys Ableton are real musicians (or if they are, play out of pentatonic blues)... at least if one is to judge by the "Chord Midi Effect" device which is useless for performing chord progressions in live situations if one wants to use (as a basis) dominant 7th chords (and chords built on it) in the (rather - well - known - in western - music) progression "Dominant 7th" to Tonic" (e.g., G7 -> C).

A Chord Rack is definitely needed.

But an instrument tuner would be a good place to start - especially since elastic audio in performance is their strength - MIDI instruments not so good)

That said, Live is an awesome program; I just wish they would get off their butts and make some very common musical features available to the musicians who work at a high school band level....

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:15 pm

Anyways, if they included stuff like "amp" there should be a tuner. Not even all vst's have tuners. I use s gear and stuff like lepou and they don't have tuners. Sure, I have a snark, but there are times when I'd just prefer a tuner. It's not like live would be horrible w/o a tuner :mrgreen:

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:37 am

[quote="Buleriachk... at least if one is to judge by the "Chord Midi Effect" device which is useless for performing chord progressions in live situations if one wants to use (as a basis) dominant 7th chords (and chords built on it) in the (rather - well - known - in western - music) progression "Dominant 7th" to Tonic" (e.g., G7 -> C).
[/quote]

Chord rack on its own is a bit useless unless your going for the sampled chord type sound, however the way to use it is to combine it with scale such that scale post maps the notes coming out of the chord so that they are back in the correct scale. Of course this isn't much use in styles that modulate in and out of a strict scale within their normal progressions. There you need a midi rack with the key chain mapped to different chord+scale chains instead.

As for a tuner in Live - yes I can see it might handy. I have had a clip on tuner on my guitar for year that I barely use and one in NI guitar rig that I think Ive never used. I guess maybe Im lucky being one of these people who can perfectly tune without a direct reference.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Ryder17

Post by Ryder17 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:27 pm

Whats wrong with spectrum?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:35 pm

Ryder17 wrote:Whats wrong with spectrum?
it is not a tuner. You can use it as one in desperation, in the same way you can use a car inner tube as an aqualung. That does not mean it is a good replacement for the real thing.

I use the one in Guitar rig.

Ryder17

Post by Ryder17 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:17 pm

Angstrom wrote: You can use it as one in desperation, in the same way you can use a car inner tube as an aqualung. That does not mean it is a good replacement for the real thing.

I use the one in Guitar rig.
Not quite that extreme though is it... Its an accurate, instant visual representation of pitch. I tend to always have one in the master channel anyways so it's quicker and I would say, more accurate than using Amplitude (which i do).

VST tuners tend to be pretty whack anyway.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:40 pm

Depends. Petersons strobosoft (which isn't x64 unfortunately) is pretty good.

I'm just thinking that since they support amp sim modeling, you'd think a tuner would be there. I need a basic tuner, my ears are not too good.

The snark is OK, but it has a tendency to be a little off at times (especially lower tunings)