Drum Racks and Memory - best practises?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stjohn

Drum Racks and Memory - best practises?

Post by stjohn » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:39 pm

instead of a load of loops for my livest, im trying to keep as much as possible in midi. 2 VSTs and 3 channels of drumracks. but with just 2 tracks in, im getting the odd flash of the Hard-Disk overload up on the top right

the system itself works great. i can have loads of different patterns of similar sounds, and it makes moving from tracks really fun and natural, but im a bit nervous about the memory aspect.

does anyone have experience with this type of setup?

- is there a difference between using Simplers and Samplers? when i searched this forum, i found some info say that smaplers handle better...which sounds a bit contradictive to me...

-another thing is, im often using resampled WAVs, probably larger than they should be. for example, 5 hits, sequenced in out and rendered in one WAV... then i place that into a drumrack in 5 slots, and adjust the start point to the beginning of each hit. does this take more resources? am i essentially loading that file 5 times? :-/

-and assuming i do have to make the samples short and precise, is there an easy method to achieve it?

I have a decent laptop with 4 gb RAM. but if i try to go further with this, ill no doubt hit a brick wall soon..

many thanks music peeps, ill look fwd to hearing your thoughts.

Evengy

Re: Drum Racks and Memory - best practises?

Post by Evengy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:16 pm

simpler is the little brother of sampler so they need more or less memory.
method to archive samples? save the live set and watch the project in your filesystem. there should be a folder with all the samples in it.

i can´t say that much about memory/cpu load :/ 30 playing drum racks with one sample needs 10% cpu on my system. i think there is no difference in memory what you can feel but anyone knows it better than i do ;) i think 1 drum rack with 5 or 6 samples needs less cpu / memory than 3 drum racks with 2 samples a rack.

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:20 pm

Evengy wrote:simpler is the little brother of sampler so they need more or less memory.
:| errr..

is it more or less :D
thnks

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:53 am

Is the sample in ram or played from disc. Simpler loads everything into ram, sampler gives you the option to play from disc or load into ram. If you're getting sampler drop outs because of disk reading issues then maybe load the samples into ram. Cpu use goes up with track number, degree of audio routing and number of sends, anything you can do to cut done on these will have an effect.

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:24 pm

great thanks for the tip.
ive since shortened all my samples down as much as possible, and tried to be more efficient in general.
which isnt so bad, just means i can do more with the sounds that are there.