No delay compensation for Automation??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
frostedcoco

Re: No delay compensation for Automation??

Post by frostedcoco » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:51 pm

I hate to be a dick but this pencilrocket guy is a noob producer at best. Anyone who uses ableton seriously knows how big an issue this is. Especially when you notice the error later on and have to spend hours figuring out which plugin is causing the delay. It's ridiculous. I'm using nine now and it still hasnt been fixed.
The least they could do is add a feature which shows you which plugin is causing the delay.
You can't tout yourself as one of the best daws if you can't pull off the most basic tasks.

Btw ableton has become my ONLY daw over the past few years and i'm not here just to bash my favorite program. But when you're sixty tracks deep and have to find out which one is causing the delay in automation its hard not to get mad.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:48 pm

If it happens at all, it want happen before version 10. At least 3 years from now.

Heres hoping for Bitwig!

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:13 am

i can't wait to hear all of the groundbreaking music that's going to be made when this gets fixed or bitwig comes out. It really brings a tear to my eye thinking about how many super genius musicians are being held back by the shitty programming at ableton.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:15 am

leisuremuffin wrote:i can't wait to hear all of the groundbreaking music that's going to be made when this gets fixed or bitwig comes out. It really brings a tear to my eye thinking about how many super genius musicians are being held back by the shitty programming at ableton.

.lm.
lolzes, BUT (and it's important) there IS an issue with PDC/automation and live. It's well documented. Does that mean you can't make music in live? Of course not silly people, but it's still a PITA and should be addressed.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:00 am

leisuremuffin wrote:i can't wait to hear all of the groundbreaking music that's going to be made when this gets fixed or bitwig comes out. It really brings a tear to my eye thinking about how many super genius musicians are being held back by the shitty programming at ableton.

.lm.
:lol: Dramaqueen.

kayhel

Post by kayhel » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:29 pm

It drives me crazy since 5 years now. I have Live8 Suite, ozone and NI Komplete. Using the plugins in a meaningful way makes working with live simply impossible.
I now use StudioOne Pro to arrange my old Live songs since I found that automation PDC is not working. S1 has no of these issues in PDC.
I _am_ a developer and was coding sampler software for years.
I posted maths in this forum in other threads and directly to the devs - maths are easy for several reasons (they implemented maths for the audio part already, so they know the delay of the devices otherwise audio PDC wouldn't work, and it works perfectly.).
Delaying automation stream for individual plugins just by the (known) chain delay @the plugin cannot be a big task, they simply dont wanna do it.
It's a shame.
Bitwig 1.0, Live8 Suite Boxed, Studio One Professional, Melodyne Assistant
Komplete Ultimate, Sylenth, Ozone5

theslowrevolt

Post by theslowrevolt » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:16 pm

Dear Ableton,

This problem is causing me to regret buying your software.

I am working to deadline and there seems to be no feasible work-around if precision automation in large sessions is important to one's work, especially if you've only just discovered this bug rather late in the day.

Please fix it.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:30 am

just moveing the whole break point slightly won't work?

golemus

Post by golemus » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:54 am

mholloway wrote:I've never had any issues because of it, but it certainly is a regular entry on the shit-list of Ableton Haters in other forums.

-M
Even from this forum you will find maybe up to hundreds of complaints about this same issue from the atleast last 3-4 years.

I have personally also suffered a lot from this. You will especially rip your hair off if you use linear phase plugins (lin-phase EQs etc..), then the automation timing will be very strongly biased, up to many seconds (e.g. try Fabfilter Pro-Q plugin with max latency linear phase in some channel and you will se what I mean..

You will pretty much not suffer from this issue if you use only Live's own plugins, so it is caused by VST plugs, usually effects.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:30 am

nobody would use linear phase eq before exporting waves though....

ze2be

Re: No delay compensation for Automation?

Post by ze2be » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:30 pm

golemus wrote:
mholloway wrote:I've never had any issues because of it, but it certainly is a regular entry on the shit-list of Ableton Haters in other forums.
Even from this forum you will find maybe up to hundreds of complaints about this same issue from the atleast last 3-4 years.

I have personally also suffered a lot from this. You will especially rip your hair off if you use linear phase plugins (lin-phase EQs etc..), then the automation timing will be very strongly biased, up to many seconds (e.g. try Fabfilter Pro-Q plugin with max latency linear phase in some channel and you will se what I mean..

You will pretty much not suffer from this issue if you use only Live's own plugins, so it is caused by VST plugs, usually effects.
It happens to a lot of Lives plugs and racks aswell. We did a measuring here on the forums some time back and they all have different latency. Not as bad as some vsts, but still noticable. Now that we got clip automation, dual screens and such, proper pdc for plugs and automation is clearly on the top of the wanted list. If they dont fix this by version 10 im guessing a lot of the old users will leave. Not that it seams they care about their users anymore. They seem to go the Apple way: alianate old users while trying to look increasingly cool for new users. And compleately cut all comunications with their fans. This forum is not even linked to their website anymore. They even copy the Apple keynote now. They used to be one of my favorite companies, friendly and open towards the fans. How did they become so arrogant, or rather why? Did the sucsess got the best of them? Oh.. Im rambling like the old user that I am.. 10 years ive been with you. You were the one that saved me from Cubase and their at the time horrendus arrogance towards their users 10 years back. Now it seems its turning arround.

..a bit ranty there.. Sorry, it just got out of me. Im sick and in a grumpy mood. I use Apple products and I use Ableton products but that doesnt mean I like everything about them.

And pencilrocket: Over the years I always though you were completely ironic playing that Apple fanboy nerd on your avatar picture with your ultra mindless Ableton fanboy additude. But the last couple of years it seems you actually are that guy. Well maybe not physically, but you know what I mean. I dont understand why you constantly keep posting all over this forum year after year if you have absolutely nothing constructive to say, ever.

mholloway: isnt it a bit low from an old time user like you to put the label "Ableton Haters" on a huge group of users awareness towards what you even admit is common knowledge in the same sentence?

Oh crap im grumpy today.. :lol:

:x

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:09 pm

Understanding limitations and working within them is an essential skill for all artists, and especially those using any kind of technology.

theslowrevolt

Post by theslowrevolt » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:08 pm

pencilrocket wrote:just moveing the whole break point slightly won't work?
Indeed, quite right, this is the workaround… but on countless parameters, tracks & songs, and pretty late in an album production process, with deadlines looming; it's an unexpected headache I (and many others, I'm see) could really do without.

Going forward; one could set one's audio buffer high and permanently work with that, but where does that leave you playing live soft synths, or doing anything requiring low latency monitoring?

I moved to Live from reaper, never had this problem with that.
There's no questioning the imagination behind this Live, but this is a pretty fundamental flaw - when i drawn an envelope i expect it to cohere with what i'm seeing!

There are gear limitations that one can work with, but this is a fault, not a quirk.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:22 pm

Actually, you are wrong about the buffer setting. Having a shorter buffer will reduce the problems with automation pdc.

Deciding that something is a fault rather than a quirk changes nothing. The tool works the way it does. Figure out how to use it the way it works right now, or use something else.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:18 am

Yeah! We don't need no stinking working properly software!

:lol: