do i need to save .asd files after ive saved the .als?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cramos241

do i need to save .asd files after ive saved the .als?

Post by cramos241 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:53 pm

so after i am done warping a track for djing in ableton, and saving and organizing that .als where it needs to go, i am also trying to find a place to save an organize the mp3 of that warped track in case i would like to use it to dj in any other djing software i might come across. my question is whether or not i need to keep the .asd analysis file any more or if i get rid of it. will it mess up my warped track or anything in ableton if i do? tryin to limit the space usage on my computer as much as possble so i am just tryin to inquire how others handle this.

also as i am typing this another question popped in my head. after you save the .als of a warped track do you actually even need to have the mp3 it came from be on your computer for ableton to play the song?

thanks for your help guys!

Tone Deft

Re: do i need to save .asd files after ive saved the .als?

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:43 pm

you're headed down a very dangerous track. hard drives are pretty cheap, save up for a new one.

I've never saved a .asd file, I let Live do it automatically. Live requires them to save the info for the clip that uses that mp3 file.

overall DO NOT try to outthink Live and save/delete stuff behind its back. let Live do ALL the saving for you. as for deleting, that's gonna bite you in the ass someday.

if you delete the .asd file you will have to warp the track again. if you delete the mp3 file Live won't be able to play it.

'Collect All and Save' is your friend. also, save you sets with revision control and save often.
my_track_1.als
my_track_2.als
my_track_3.als
etc.

Live's File Management system is my biggest gripe with the software, it's not 100% reliable, it's far from intuitive and it makes little sense to me. I haven't sat down to try it but that's the LAST thing I'm going to spend my time with Live on, screw that.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

cramos241

Re: do i need to save .asd files after ive saved the .als?

Post by cramos241 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:02 pm

sorry i didnt mean to confuse, i dont think i said i saved an .asd file, i am letting ableton do it automatically. i have a few externals already as well im not worried about space or $ im just tryin to get into good file organization habits early.

ultimately im tryin to have a harddrive or two or seven that have all my mp3s, the accompanying .asd's (which it sounds like i need to keep), and the .als's with all my warping hardwork. the space that im trying so hard to save is the hard drive space of my actual mac book.

i think the issue im having is that im tryin to have 2 different places on my mac books hard drive for my tunes that I am currently djing, one with a flie path like "user/music/music crate/live clips/genre/sub genre/bpm-key-artist-song tagstagstagstagstags.als"
and another one with a file path like "user/music/music/crate/audio/genre/sub genre/bpm-key-artist-song tagstagstagstags.mp3"

maybe this is waaay more work than its worth and im open to a slap in the face of reality that what im doin is whack. i just am trying to achieve to distinct areas on my harddrive that i can keep all the .als seperate from the mp3s of the same song so im not worryin about draggin in an mp3 as opposed to the .als while im playing live. and vice versa have a distinct area on the harddrive where i can find all the mp3s easily for djing in say traktor and not having to comb through infinite .als files that traktor dont give a shit about!

sorry if this is super confusing let me kno if i can try and make my question more clear i appreciate your patience!