Quantize undo?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mr D

Quantize undo?

Post by Mr D » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:23 pm

New to the program, just trying to get my head 'round it!

About quantize: is it correct that (when editing midi clips) there is very limited quantize undo functionality ? It seems like once you've quantized your midi, there's no way to go back to the original timing, unless you immediately press "undo". If you want to later tweak it to a bit closer to your original timing, it's not possible!

On a related note, i also noticed the "Extract Groove(s)" option. But after i select this option, then what? Nothing seems to happen!!?? Where has my groove been extracted to?! What's the dealy?

Sorry for the dumb-assed questions!

Mr D

Re: Quantize undo?

Post by Mr D » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:05 pm

Thanks a lot!

Just tried it and it works as you describe. However i find it very weird that it applies the quantize (when you don't commit) but doesn't visually update it! What was the thinking behind that i wonder?

Maybe you can also answer me this: is there a way to nudge the position of midi notes by tiny amounts? Of course you can zoom in and do it manually, but it would be handy to be able to nudge a note one millisecond or whatever, for subtle timing tweaks.

Street Spirit

Re: Quantize undo?

Post by Street Spirit » Tue May 22, 2012 1:45 am

its funny how Live has stumped me i go in the forums here and have a big doh! moment. thanks for explaining funken. It was the obvious solution. :)