Newbie - inherited some equipment, need help and direction

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
utopify

Re: Newbie - inherited some equipment, need help and direction

Post by utopify » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:26 pm

Awesome thanks so much! I appreciate the help on connections and tools. Hopefully I'll have something audible in the next few months.

Jay sway

Post by Jay sway » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:28 pm

hahahaha okay antarktika is killing me! but all jokes aside, you have more then enough to start making electronic music bro. and its not all about the gear sometimes anyway, its about who uses them. i've been making chill tracks with only ableton live 8 and a akai mpk49 so its pretty much limit-less where you go from here.

dtrue17

Post by dtrue17 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:44 am

You could try out what I'm doing, which is to take each piece/tool at a time. Spend quite a large chunk of time learning ableton on just a laptop. I wouldn't even think about setting everything else up. Once you're good enough with that, add the midi controller. Once that feel comfortable, add the audio interface and the knob (etc etc). IMO, it's crucial to become proficient at each piece of your setup on their own in order to be great with them as a whole. "Jack of all trades, but Master of nothing".

In short, don't worry so much about utilizing that entire setup you just got (unless you have something specific you're aiming for). Take each piece one at a time. It'll make adding each element that much more interesting and exciting.

....That wasnt the question, was it?...damn
Ableton Live 8.2.8
Roland TD-3SW Drum Kit
ASUS G-series, Intel i7 2.8Ghz, 6GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

Jay sway

Post by Jay sway » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:38 am

dtrue17 wrote:You could try out what I'm doing, which is to take each piece/tool at a time. Spend quite a large chunk of time learning ableton on just a laptop. I wouldn't even think about setting everything else up. Once you're good enough with that, add the midi controller. Once that feel comfortable, add the audio interface and the knob (etc etc). IMO, it's crucial to become proficient at each piece of your setup on their own in order to be great with them as a whole. "Jack of all trades, but Master of nothing".

In short, don't worry so much about utilizing that entire setup you just got (unless you have something specific you're aiming for). Take each piece one at a time. It'll make adding each element that much more interesting and exciting.
i couldn't agree more with this guy if you take any advice from this post TAKE THIS ONE