external synth set up advice needed

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mickmike

external synth set up advice needed

Post by mickmike » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:59 pm

I just got a 2nd hand novation nova and am having a bit of trouble setting everything up properly. I obviously want to record different sounds on different channels ( at the moment the recorded sound changes when playing the nova with a different sound on another channel ). I have a saffire 6 interface, and oxygen 8 keyboard. Advice on correct midi set up, ableton external instrument set up, and correct way to record would be much appreciated. Thanks

twisted-space

Re: external synth set up advice needed

Post by twisted-space » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:32 pm

The saffire 6 only has 2 inputs, so you're going to have to either record each part from your Nova to an audio track in Live (one part at a time).
OR
run the Nova in multi mode, and have access to 2 mono parts, one on each input to the saffire 6.

I'd do the first, use a midi track, with an external instrument plugin (Manual section 23.5 page 386) routed to and from the nova, record or program what you want, freeze the track you're working on then drag the resulting audio to a new track.

(Hint, you can tweak the nova live, while Live freezes it in real time, if you're not happy with the first take, unfreeze and go again.)

You would then start again to get the next part recorded.