Need help building a micro atx system

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dmerricka

Need help building a micro atx system

Post by Dmerricka » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:47 pm

I'm wanting to build a mico atx pc , windows 7, 64 bit. Can some one recamend a super fast mico atx motherboard and CPU. I need 1 pci slot for my RME card, not pcie. I need it to be small. On board graphics are fine as I.ll more likly use my iPad and a very small monitor. Thinking 16 gigs of ram. It is basIcly going to be a front in to my other DAW. I'm hopping to be able to load 1 instance of kontact, opmnispher and 4 to 5 instances of guitar rig. I'll be using Cantbile or Live on this PC montitering live out to adat in off Studio 1v2 on another PC.

kryz

Re: Need help building a micro atx system

Post by kryz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:30 am

I built myself a compact system around christmas for live looping with Guitar Rig, drum racks and synths/samplers.
I'm not sure if it's actually micro ATX but it's about 25x25cm and I was able to build it all into a 50cm x 33cm x 10cm suitcase with a tochscreen integrated.
Since I wanted to run OSX Lion I had to go with the components that are recommended for easy hackintoshing.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3, CPU: Intel core i7 2600K with onboard HD3000 graphics, 12GB RAM, SSD
I overclocked the turbo of the i7 to 4.3 GHz and I get a geekbench score of 15100.
It's very fast and so far live runs very stable with low latency.
So I think I can recommend the board and the cpu but maybe there's a smaller board out there that works for you.