Midi mapping

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mr D

Midi mapping

Post by Mr D » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi folks,

I've attached my brand new Akai MPK49 to Ableton, but i'm having a hard time getting my head around this midi mapping thing.

Firstly, it seems that some mappings are already assigned. So, when i turn a knob on the Akai, a knob turns on the Analog synth (for example).

Well, this is all fine and dandy, but what if that's not what i wanted? How do i delete a mapping? If i press the "Midi map mode switch" and look in the "midi mappings browser", i see nothing listed.

Any ideas?

Thanks! ...... Mr D.

JohnDoppler

Re: Midi mapping

Post by JohnDoppler » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:35 pm

The automatic ones are assigned for your convienience, if you don't want the knob to turn the automatic mapping, just map the knob to what you want it to do and the automatic one should no longer be mapped

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:56 pm

Thanks for the info!

If it's what i wanted, it would of course be very convenient.......but it's not what i want!

Is there no way to delete an assignment, other then mapping that controller to a different parameter?

Do you have any idea why these pre-chosen mappings don't show up in the midi mappings browser?!

....Mr D.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:44 pm

The lesson on control surfaces should cover it....

Cheers
D

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:37 pm

Thanks!

Any idea why the assigned mappings don't show up in the midi mappings browser?!

...Mr D.

JohnDoppler

Post by JohnDoppler » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:43 pm

Mr D wrote:Thanks for the info!

If it's what i wanted, it would of course be very convenient.......but it's not what i want!

Is there no way to delete an assignment, other then mapping that controller to a different parameter?

Do you have any idea why these pre-chosen mappings don't show up in the midi mappings browser?!

....Mr D.
I dont understand? why does it matter. if you are not going to map to anything then what is the point?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:45 pm

Because they are not midi mappings!

Cheers
D

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:08 pm

Ok!

So are you saying there are two classes of mappings?! Invisible, pre-mapped ones, and the ones you can see in the mappings browser??!!

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:08 pm

mappings and scripts

dont get all fiesty, ppl are being very patient and generous with you

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:47 pm

Mr D wrote:Ok!

So are you saying there are two classes of mappings?! Invisible, pre-mapped ones, and the ones you can see in the mappings browser??!!
Perfect description!!

Cheers
D

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:38 pm

Mr D wrote:Ok!

will you please rtfm already ?
:lol:

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:24 pm

OK!

I'm gonna try and get my head 'round it in the coming days, but i can't promise i won't be back to plague you again with more questions! :)

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:32 pm

Hi guys,

I'm not getting any further with this!

On my Akai there is a fader labelled "F1". When i moves it, it moves the volume on track 1 in Ableton.

But i don't want it to do this!

How on earth do i delete this assignment?? OK, so you've told me it's a script, not a mapping. I've found this file:

UserConfiguration.txt

C:\Documents and Settings\Dazzer\Application Data\Ableton\Live 8.2.1\Preferences\User Remote Scripts

Is this where i make the change? What do i do? I can't find the appropriate part of the manual that deals with this!

Or is there a setting i need to change on the Akai?

All advice would be greatly appreciated!

XXX...... Mr D.

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:14 pm

OK, so now i've discovered that if i DON'T select the Akai as a control surface in the midi page of the preferences, then it doesn't exhibit any of this pre-mapped (scripted?)behaviour. But it still works as a controller.

Pheeeeew!

Ok, on to the next problem:

I've assigned knob 1 on the Akai to the filter frequency in Analog.

Now it seems that regardless of which other track or instrument or plugin i work with or monitor, knob 1 is still moving that freq control in Analog. I guess in one way this is logical, as it means that at any given moment you can grab that knob, tweak it, and you know what it'll do (good for live DJ sets et i s'pose).

However, it's not really what i want. To me it would be more useful if it only controlled the Freq on Analog when i'm monitoring that track. If i'm monitoring another midi track with (for example) operator, then maybe i want to use knob 1 on the Akai for something else. Even if i select "no input" in the "midi from" box on the midi track of Analog, it still takes the controller data from Knob 1.

Do you see what i mean?

Any ideas?

XXX...... Mr D

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:43 pm

What you want cant be done, give up now....

Cheers
D