don't worry, dubstep is now officially dead

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
simmerdown

Re: don't worry, dubstep is now officially dead

Post by simmerdown » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:01 pm

punk:brostep

=

1972:2012

as far as the portion of the brain being stimulated, and the subsequent visceral reaction
There will be a back-to-the-roots movement sooner or later in the scene, just give the brostep sound a few more months of mainstream coverage and no one will give a shit about it anymore
already happening, ...or never really stopped...the equivalent to hiphop's underground harkening back to 1993

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:08 pm

simmerdown wrote:punk:brostep

=

1972:2012

as far as the portion of the brain being stimulated, and the subsequent visceral reaction
Well there was a whole social movement attached to Punk that's entirely missing from BroStep.
Whether people like the music or not, Punk was in the same league as the hippy Psychedelic movement in terms of spawning new cultures.
On a scale of importance BroStep is very obviously going to be another blip in the music world, not a genre that becomes a main branch of music like Punk did.
Punk = Major Macro Genre
BroStep = sub Genre.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:16 pm

I think every generation of white people needs to have its genre of music that nobody can dance to, doesn’t take them on an emotional journey, and sounds quite unpleasant to many. Mostly it just inspires varying degrees of convulsive movement. Brostep is that genre.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:18 pm

I've trolled.
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:26 pm

there was a political and longlasting effect of punk , no doubt...but there, moshing around (i was)..you werent making a political statement, you were releasing 18-23 years old hormones/anxiety...thats why i mentioned the 'brain' aspect...release! sweet release

not a race thing either, not that simple, and there were/are plenty of black punks, who btw, did not have a superior skankin technique, LOL

and no one can claim a crystal ball as to what this will all become, only wishful thinking that it will 'go away'

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:23 am

simmerdown wrote:there was a political and longlasting effect of punk , no doubt...but there, moshing around (i was)..you werent making a political statement, you were releasing 18-23 years old hormones/anxiety...thats why i mentioned the 'brain' aspect...release! sweet release

not a race thing either, not that simple, and there were/are plenty of black punks, who btw, did not have a superior skankin technique, LOL

and no one can claim a crystal ball as to what this will all become, only wishful thinking that it will 'go away'
Yeah considering one of the top five American Hardcore Punk bands was the Bad Brains I would say Punk isn't an all white thing. :P
I'll take beats me's comment as a humor thing though, the guy nails the funny bone enough times to take the duds with the nuggets. :)

If all that Punk left behind as an effect on music was mosh pits, then it would still have a longer lasting effect than BroStep.
Not trying to hate on BroStep really, it's just that it's a subgenre of EDM only distantly related to DubStep. In some ways it's more like Autotune, glitch/stutter edits, drum drop outs and the whole reverb soaked treble production technique that happened in the 80's. It's a quick and dirty style and it's only staying power will come if it's expanded on and fully leaves behind it's father genres like Rap and Hip Hop did.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:09 am

beats me wrote:I think every generation of white people needs to have its genre of music that nobody can dance to, doesn’t take them on an emotional journey, and sounds quite unpleasant to many.
:lol:

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:33 am

Quackstep?
ImageImage

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:09 am

Shitstep!

agent314

Post by agent314 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:06 am

Dumpstep?

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:37 am

Doorstep

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:45 am

Dubstep is going through the same process, culturally, as Emo a few years back.

When everyone jumps on a scene for a couple of years, it reaches saturation point and there is a very swift backlash, and within a year no one will admit to have ever been a part of it. That is what is happening now. And not a moment too soon..

The biggest tragedy is that there are a lot of potentially good tracks made in the last few years, ruined by the ubiquitous wobble bass. These tracks will unfortunately sound hideously dated very quickly, and forever after. A shame what being a slave to fashion does. A lot of people (and a disproportionate amount of Ableton users) are going to be mighty embarrassed by their old output any time soon.

I know this won't go down well, but trust me, I'm right.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:51 pm

Media should try and revIve the "grunge" fashion to the step scene just for shits and giggles.
ImageImage

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:56 pm

beatmunga wrote:Ableton users) are going to be mighty embarrassed by their old output any time soon
The 80s all over again.

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:03 pm

shadx312 wrote:Media should try and revIve the "grunge" fashion to the step scene just for shits and giggles.
Don't pretend for a second that grunge won't make its way back...

late 60's -> hippy
70's -> flare jeans & disco
80's -> skinny jeans & stretch pants
90's -> grunge
late 90's -> hippies
2000's -> flare jeans & disco
2010 -> skinny jeans & stretch pants

I saw the 80's thing coming in the late 90's when flare jeans and 'vintage' 70's wear made a comeback. Grunge is coming back in some form w/in the next 5 years or so. Basically once the kids who grew up during that time turn about 35, just like all of the other fads.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent