All times are UTC

Post subject: Midi Piano
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:15 pm 

Hi everyone
Maybe i am not 100% correct on my last thread, my goal is a midi piano, to connect to mac and pc to use with music software, i will use with ableton and logic pro, and i will produce house,trance, etc, only to be used like dj music. I saw on logic pro that he have 76 keys, but i am really beginner and i need to know if i should buy a 76 or a 49 midi piano, i saw the dj hardwell and he uses M-Audio KeyRig 49?. But i really dont know what i should buy, with how many keys? what company? if possible i want a piano with some controllers to can interact with the plugins, create effects etc. I cant spent too much money on the piano, but it is really important to start, and i am new, if more experts producters can give me some help, will be really great for me.

Thanks community :)

Post subject: Re: Midi Piano
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:18 pm 

how much can you spend?
do you have a size constraint (does it need to be portable? do you have limited space to set it up in?)
would you prefer USB or firwire or just MIDI to the computer? (USB or firewire are preferable.)
would you like it to have drum pads built into it?
do you prefer knobs or sliders?

go to an online music store, browse what you see, make a list of what you like and ask again?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:49 pm 

Tone Deft wrote:
how much can you spend?
do you have a size constraint (does it need to be portable? do you have limited space to set it up in?)
would you prefer USB or firwire or just MIDI to the computer? (USB or firewire are preferable.)
would you like it to have drum pads built into it?
do you prefer knobs or sliders?

go to an online music store, browse what you see, make a list of what you like and ask again?

max: 250$
dont need to be portable
Can use both, but maybe usb is better
if have drum pads better, but if it will increase too much the price, is better not
Can use knobs or sliders, prefer sliders, but can use both.

I saw on amazon, some casio, m-audio etc, but i really need some help of an experiente user.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:32 am 

First, what you are searching for is a so called "masterkeyboard" I think. If you aren't a trained piano-player (or want to become one) there is no need for a 76-keys keyboard with weighted keys (hammer action, like a real piano). I would say 37 or 49 keys will fit very well for what you described you plan to do with it.

If you want to keep it cheap for the beginning, I would suggest the "Miditech Midistart 3 USB" what costs under 60 Euro here in Germany. Then you can get deeper into producing and learn about your needs, save the rest of the money and get something more advanced (like the Novation Remote SL or Cakewalk A*** series) later.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:46 am 

Akai, Novation, M-audio are the biggest manufacturers of midi keyboards, check the models, its specs and features, also consider the included software, if any.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:20 pm 

Just so you know if the keyboard has only 25, 37, 49 etc keys you can still get to the other octaves very easily by buttons on any of the controllers. If you are not a keyboard player then I would suggest a smaller keyboard as you will probably just be doing one hand/part at a time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:01 pm 

savyurrecords wrote:
Just so you know if the keyboard has only 25, 37, 49 etc keys you can still get to the other octaves very easily by buttons on any of the controllers. If you are not a keyboard player then I would suggest a smaller keyboard as you will probably just be doing one hand/part at a time.

Thanks for the suggestions, i bought the midi piano M-Audio KeyRig 49, it is great to start