Recording with Live???????????

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Caleb

Recording with Live???????????

Post by Caleb » Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:01 pm

Hello Everybody! I just bought the M-Audio Omni Studio and Live. I think I screwed up severely! WILL Live work as recording software?? All I wanted it for was to lay a drum track down and then play it back while laying guitar down etc. etc. Will it do this? I can't seem to get it to do this. Should I take it back? I appreciate your help!!!

Caleb

amwintx

Live will do this but need more information

Post by amwintx » Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:20 pm

Caleb,

Live will most certainly allow you to do this, I do it all the time. However, I can't tell from your post what exactly the problem you are having is. Post some details about what you are doing, and maybe I can give you some pointers.

AW

Caleb

Post by Caleb » Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:29 pm

Wow Thanks! That was quick AW!
I have an M-Audio Omni Studio and Live
1)All I want to do is record drums
2) Listen to the drums while recording guitars
3) Listen to Drums and Guitar while recording vocals
4) Add some synths etc..

Will live allow me to do this without that warp mode?
Can I then add effects to the tracks after?
Can I fade all of the tracks out?
Burn to CD?

Sorry for the newbie-ness!!!

theHead

Post by theHead » Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:42 pm

Hey. I'm a pretty new user to Live also, so here's what I know...

Once your M-Audio is set up and configured properly with the proper drivers in the proper folders for Live (ASIO I assume), open up Live. Set the input on the track you want to record onto to Live In or M-Audio in, if that's an option, and click the red circle on the bottom to record enable the track. Then, to start recording, click one of the red circles in the track section and bang away. When you're finished you can edit the waveform into a usable clip and turn it on while you record guitar or bass or whatever onto another clip. Remeber that you can only have one clip playing per track, so either drag the drum clip you just recorded onto a new channel or set another channel to record Live In.

To add effects, just drag em to the channels effects slot on bottom. To fade stuff in and out, just adjust the faders. You can record all your actions onto the Arranger by clicking the record button on the top control panel.

Hope that helps!

yon

Post by yon » Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:13 pm

Caleb wrote: Will live allow me to do this without that warp mode?
Can I then add effects to the tracks after?
Can I fade all of the tracks out?
Burn to CD?
You will need to render your mix in Live to burn it to a CD, but yes.

You may be interested in the larger set of multitrack recording
features in the forthcoming Live2.0 update, along with some of the
other goodies in there.

yon / ableton.

macaddled

Post by macaddled » Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:21 pm

Aargh, is it December yet? :lol:

Caleb2438

Post by Caleb2438 » Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:59 am

Okay this helps thanks alot everybody! This Forum's great. One more question. My studio set up isn't hooked up to the internet. Will I still be able to get the update? Thanks again

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:47 pm

Okay this helps thanks alot everybody! This Forum's great. One more question. My studio set up isn't hooked up to the internet. Will I still be able to get the update? Thanks again
Well, thats a good question. I think the registration process requires an internet connection to get your challenge/response key. You would have to install your copy on the computer you are using to connect to this forum and get your response key. Then you could use the response on the isolated studio machine but I would think the authorization is hardware specific, like to a MAC address on your NIC. Otherwise people could share response keys and steal the software. But I'm guessing, maybe someone who knows more should respond to this question.

eltigre

Post by eltigre » Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:11 am

I CAN'T SEEM TO RENDER TO AIFF OR WAV SUCCESSFULLY WITHOUT "ERROR "

WHAT IS THE STEP BY STEP PROPER PROCEDURE. I'M EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED AT NOT BEING ABLE TO SAVE MY FILES TO BURN TO CD

PLEASE, IF YOU COULD HELP, I'VE TRIED THE CREATIVE SYNTH METHOD AS WELL BUT WITH NO SUCCESS!!

LOOKING FORWARD TO V.2.O IF THE PROCEDURE IS MORE CLEAR AND SIMPLIFIED...DO I NEED ANOTHER SOFTWARE TO CONVERT AS SUGGESTED??

DESPERATE, THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:42 am

STOP YELLING!
Now, under preferences you will find a tab called "paths". This needs to be set to a destination of your choosing. If that does not help, make sure you have highlighted the audio you wish to render to disk. Go read the manual that came with your software and check back with a more detailed description of your error message.

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:43 am

STOP YELLING!
Now, under preferences you will find a tab called "paths". This needs to be set to a destination of your choosing. If that does not help, make sure you have highlighted the audio you wish to render to disk. Go read the manual that came with your software and check back with a more detailed description of your error message.