Mountain Lion

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Re: Mountain Lion

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:05 pm

I think the last few OS update have been pretty minor overall for most users. I've updated day one for the last few and I haven't had a single issue. I think if you stay somewhat current on apple hardware it definitely helps though, I could see it being trickier when you have an older machine. Apple definitely tend to assume people are going to update hardware often IMO.

I had a crazy busy week in the studio, for both personal (gig prep) and work related (lots of mixdowns this week). Ran some pretty CPU heavy projects in Live and Logic, and used pretty much all of my plug ins at least once. Never had a single issue, even my Traktor Audio 6 based DJ set up works fine, so not all NI users are getting screwed by Mountain Lion.

Pretty transparent upgrade here, doesn't really feel that much different than Lion did. Maybe a tiny bit faster feeling, but that could be some weird placebo effect.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

FrankieP

Post by FrankieP » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:08 am

Jeez, I'm still on Snow Leopard. What would be a reason for me to upgrade?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:11 am

Yo'ure bored?

:D
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:58 am

I'm still on Snow Leopard as I haven't seen anything to tempt me to upgrade and wouldn't mind knowing too - I've wondered about the Cloud capability - is that useful? Anything else?
thanks

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:11 pm

I'm not sure why I upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard.
All I use my Laptop for is to run Ableton and internet, I couldn't care less about any of the OS features unless running Ableton better is a feature.

As soon as I find my Snow Leopard disk I will roll back instead of upgrading.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:15 pm

Tested out the new messages feature on SL this weekend by texting my mom’s iPhone from my computer. Messages appear in the new notifications window that pulls out from the right side. Worked well, although it was weird hearing the telltale ding coming from my iPhone, iPad, and Mac all at the same time. It did a good job of updating the conversation on all devices and removed the new notifications from all devices if I already responded.

Also airplaying my Mac to my Apple TV was easy and worked well. The only thing I couldn’t figure it is changing the screen resolution for the TV if it is even possible. Obviously I’ve got a lot more screen real estate to play with on a 55” TV compared to an 11” laptop screen.