12 ways to triple your productivity & make more tunes.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
innerstatejt

12 ways to triple your productivity & make more tunes.

Post by innerstatejt » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:24 pm

Hi Guys & girls,

I thought I would share this article form my blog archive. It comes from years of trial & error. I put a link instead of posting the whole blog here because it's a long one. This makes it easier to skip it if you aren't interest. For the rest of you, I hope you find these tips helpful.

http://www.musicsoftwaretraining.com/bl ... ore-music/

Enjoy,
Jason
Download the FREE PDF: Recovery Songs That Have Lost Their Spark
https://www.musicsoftwaretraining.com/recovery

Valiumdupeuple

Re: 12 ways to triple your productivity & make more tunes.

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:43 pm

Wow, triple!!! I've never expect so much! 2012 is so fucking awesome. I'm 27, I have to die this year!

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:37 am

i read a few articels very short two days ago. every section i read i thought you are writing about me and it helped alot! i read your blog a few times again and think more about it ;)

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:26 am

Nice post, thanks Jason.

I'm actually more motivated than ever at the moment, in part due to some similar concepts to yours. It's good to read that I'm not the only person who's needed to use structure to motivate myself creatively.

Thanks!
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:55 am

ollyb303 wrote:Nice post, thanks Jason.

I'm actually more motivated than ever at the moment, in part due to some similar concepts to yours. It's good to read that I'm not the only person who's needed to use structure to motivate myself creatively.

Thanks!
i will create a lesson plan myself (always had the feeling to do that) to make a deep dive into the essential functions like warping etc. there is so much stuff and so much to learn but practice is essential. but its easier to consume informations than to making music with fear :D im motivated as hell atm and learned more on 2 days than the last month.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:15 am

Hey Jason, great blog mate.. It's so true, that the 'structuring' of our workflow can blow all of our laziness and lack of creative inspiration out the water.. You have set out some really clear 'pointers' on how we can get things done. And you touch on and identify a lot of interesting personality/character traits that can really obstruct our productivity!

Thanks for taking the time, and making the effort to share and inspire :)

Hd

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:22 am

Great article! You face the typical problems sitting in front of the computer!
It's always the same:
You start your computer to make music.
Ok let's check the mails first...
ahh interesting mail, new item on ebay, lets have a look!
Login to ebay... Searching for new gear...
a interesting synth, what was it good for... google for it ... cool I want to have it ...
ahh reading about it is so boring without music ... start a cool mp3-song ...
cool - let's open a good beer and surfing and listening to the mp3 is more fun ...
... 5 hours, hundred webpages and some beers later: no new song, not even started the DAW, evening passed away for nothing ... go to bed.
:cry:

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:33 am

roxxx303 wrote:Great article! You face the typical problems sitting in front of the computer!
It's always the same:
You start your computer to make music.
Ok let's check the mails first...
ahh interesting mail, new item on ebay, lets have a look!
Login to ebay... Searching for new gear...
a interesting synth, what was it good for... google for it ... cool I want to have it ...
ahh reading about it is so boring without music ... start a cool mp3-song ...
cool - let's open a good beer and surfing and listening to the mp3 is more fun ...
... 5 hours, hundred webpages and some beers later: no new song, not even started the DAW, evening passed away for nothing ... go to bed.
:cry:
and feelin bad after that ;/ facebook is a real timekiller! but i tried to log out instead of auto login. it worked because i open facebook and see that i must log in but im too lazy to type in username and password ;D i opened facebook 3 times in 2 hours and that cost me a few seconds ;D sounds stupid but writing music is more fun than writing username and pw ;D sounds stupid, really stupid but everyone here is finding everytime a excuse to not make music and that because of fear. stop now ;D

1.A.M.

Post by 1.A.M. » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:34 am

^^^ Same "problem" here.... :lol:

Sage

Post by Sage » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:58 am

Personally I find setting myself stupid challenges or trying something which has nothing to do with writing a song to a more productive way of going about things.

Try making the hugest kick drum of all time or something and eventually your mind will start to wander away from the task in hand. This week I've started on a song made up of samples of pneumatic drills after I tried experimenting with Mid/Side...

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:51 pm

This really got me thinking. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to read through it again before commenting on the specifics but this is really helpful stuff. Thanks again.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:55 pm

Sage wrote:Personally I find setting myself stupid challenges or trying something which has nothing to do with writing a song to a more productive way of going about things.

Try making the hugest kick drum of all time or something and eventually your mind will start to wander away from the task in hand. This week I've started on a song made up of samples of pneumatic drills after I tried experimenting with Mid/Side...
This is mentioned in the blog post, about making or finding the perfect snare before you even have a song for it or getting a song structure before wasting time worrying if something sounds better - .5 db quieter. Man, am I ever guilty of this.

innerstatejt

Post by innerstatejt » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:06 am

Thanks for reading guys.. And for the comments. I hope it helped some of you.
Download the FREE PDF: Recovery Songs That Have Lost Their Spark
https://www.musicsoftwaretraining.com/recovery

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:14 pm

I guess another one would be stop complaining about "where's Ableton 9" or contributing or reading any thread related to it.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:03 am

kitekrazy wrote:I guess another one would be stop complaining about "where's Ableton 9" or contributing or reading any thread related to it.
I would agree with this.

Music has been a project hobby for years for me (over 10 now) and though I have had to cut back on the time I spend on it at the moment with 2 young children taking up my time I am still drawn to my studio all the time.

I have to agree with all the points you bring up in that blog and I recon most read it and think "Hey... that sounds like me". The funny thing is I have read a dozen other blogs and "10 ways to make music faster" threads that have pretty much the same suggestions.

One of the best things I did years ago was to separate my Music operating system completely from my "general" computer system. On my music machine I don't have any games or distractions (I still have internet but don't use it for social on that PC). I use to always get stuck on a track and then just load up a game for a bit. I solved that by now having to shut the machine down and swap the HDD cradle over to the other drive. Works to keep the systems clean too.

Another suggestion I have is the discipline thing. I often create tracks that get off to a good start but seem to just stall. I would open a track, listen to it and then think "it needs something but I don't know what" then just open another song.What I do now is if I open an unfinished track I have to add something to it. Most of the time I will push through and add something that will help me to add something else later. If I get something good going, the whole process starts off again and I get right back into it.

Like anything though, it all takes time and effort and without both you won't have much to show.